Author Topic: Old computers?  (Read 54348 times)
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Old computers? « Reply #210 on: May 06, 2017, 12:10:42 PM » Author: Lodge
I have one LCD TV which took an impact to the screen but didnt break. But apparently it was on the border of breaking. It looks like it lost seal somewhere around the edge and lost some of the liquid fill, and there is a cluster of dead pixels in the spot of impact in the center of the screen

Anyway, this LCD tends to sorta "burn in" within under a minute of displaying a still image, but not permanently - it slowly recovers over the next few minutes. If the image is there for longer it may take longer to recover, up to a couple hours in one case. I use it as a terminal screen so dont care too much about the burn in (its not bad enough to interfer with displaying terminal text or basic OS stuff like window frames)

LCD doesn't really burn in images, if they get slight image retention, all you need to due is make the screen white for a couple of minutes to clear this up, but OLED's on the samsungs get permanent, image retention on the screen, commonly with facebook addicts you can see the logo on the upper right corner on every lighter screen...

And yes screen impacts will cause all sorts of problems, but I'm talking more real world impact free actual usage like displaying the windows tool bar all the time if they suffer any burn in because OLED screens do look impressive running but they are expensive and if they suffer burn in, I'll wait and stick to cheap or free LCD's for now...   
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old computers? « Reply #211 on: May 06, 2017, 04:57:10 PM » Author: Ash
If you display the same image that is burned in, you wont see the problem. So you mind it only when displaying something else. If so, choose the OLED screens for the applications where the image is changing and you care about its appearance on the entire area, conventional LCDs for toolbars and such

(this actually makes sense with many graphics editing tools and multiple monitor setup, where you can have a center OLED monitor for the actual image and side LCD monitors for the tools)

In my damaged monitor the retention is quite bad and long lasting, and it does feel a lot like burn in
mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: Old computers? « Reply #212 on: June 12, 2017, 03:55:27 AM » Author: mrboojay
I'm still a big CRT fan.  I own 3 PC monitors, a couple TVs and my Dad has an Amiga monitor.  They're higher refresh rate and color are quite nice compared to some of my LCDs, and just the way they work and look to me is kind of cool (one of them is a ViewSonic with a Trinitron tube).

Where I work used to have all CRT registers, but now in the last 5 or so years they only have 2 CRTs on terminals throughout the store, and they are showing their age big time.  I think they are there because the spot they are in is too small to fit and LCD but I don't know for sure.  But I sometimes go out of my way to use them, just for fun. :)

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old computers? « Reply #213 on: June 12, 2017, 05:39:04 PM » Author: Ash
I am with LCDs, and specifically older CCFL backlight LCDs with TN (the most common type) panels. They work well and for the most part are very repairable

I got a couple CRTs, and one of them is big 21 inch one that does greater resolutions than all my LCDs, though this one is not very accurate at colors (there is a problem with the HV supply in it, which i fixed close enough to get the monitor working and usable, but the gamma is quite off)
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old computers? « Reply #214 on: June 12, 2017, 05:59:22 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
CRTs are something that I really don't miss. Big bulky things that produced lots of heat. I think it was 2008 or 09 when I gave up the last CRT monitor I had in use. I've been recently collected some old 10base2 network stuff to get small segment to play with. I find old network technology interesting.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Old computers? « Reply #215 on: June 12, 2017, 06:32:50 PM » Author: icefoglights
Speaking of old technology, I've been thinking of that DisplayWriter that I saw years ago, and just discovered I was really close to having a version of it.  The software that ran on it was later ported by IBM to the PC and called DisplayWrite.  Many years ago, a friend gave me her grandmother's old PC, which was a 1988 PC clone.  I don't remember the manufacturer but it had a compact case, similar to a baby AT, 8088 processor, 640K of RAM, dual 360K floppy drives, no hard drive, and a video card that was switchable between Hercules monochrome and CGA.  I think parallel and game ports were built into the floppy control card, and it had a serial card with dual ports.  The system included a green screen monitor, and I had an old Okidata dot matrix printer for it.  I recently found a disk image for DisplayWrite, and with this system, would have been functionally very similar to the DisplayWriter.

I'm now on the lookout for one of those electronic word processor/typewriters that used an external monochrome monitor, which were commonly sold in the 90s.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Old computers? « Reply #216 on: June 12, 2017, 06:58:07 PM » Author: Lodge
CRTs are something that I really don't miss. Big bulky things that produced lots of heat. I think it was 2008 or 09 when I gave up the last CRT monitor I had in use. I've been recently collected some old 10base2 network stuff to get small segment to play with. I find old network technology interesting.

I have a couple of old 10 base media converters from copper to ST fiber, those things just don't die they have to be like 15 to 20 years old and for running a monochrome laser printer they are fast enough to handle anything thrown at them, yet I've seen several 1000 base switches fail in only a few years..   
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: Old computers? « Reply #217 on: September 28, 2017, 07:10:56 PM » Author: Flurofan96
I recently got on eBay a Fujitsu & Siemens P5925 tower PC for 17 quid plus 6.99 P&P  8) Its a certified for Windows Vista PC but the thing is that it came without Windows Vista (wouldn't touch this OS with a barge pole) but I installed Windows XP Service Pack 3 instead  8)

I use it to run old games such as Unreal Gold and also open up MS word/Office files that sometimes I need to open.

Another thing is with my Unreal Gold game I am struggling to get the right quality of graphics. I am using the video driver "Direct 3D support" and inside the game enabled the "show details" but still I can't achieve of what would you expect is in the game http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-136986 here is pic of what I expect to see but all that happens is crummy resolution with the fluorescent fixtures not showing their prismatic cover details. Can someone help

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old computers? « Reply #218 on: September 28, 2017, 07:23:00 PM » Author: Ash
Not sufficient graphics adapter ?
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old computers? « Reply #219 on: September 28, 2017, 07:44:28 PM » Author: Flurofan96
What is graphics adapter? Is it a software or hardware thing

LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Re: Old computers? « Reply #220 on: September 28, 2017, 08:33:20 PM » Author: LampLover
Graphics adapter AKA Video card (GPU) is a hardware thing that is either integrated in the motherboard or a card that plugs into a slot on the motherboard

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old computers? « Reply #221 on: October 04, 2017, 08:13:17 PM » Author: Flurofan96
Hi

Didn't make this YT video but this is the graphic issue I'm facing https://youtu.be/dpWOLtlpb24

Want it to be like this https://youtu.be/hR51NNDkgLs

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old computers? « Reply #222 on: October 11, 2017, 10:51:56 AM » Author: Flurofan96
Update: completely sorted out the graphics problem with my Unreal Gold game on my Fujitsu PC. The problem was that it had no graphics card in the motherboard's PCI slot. I however managed to install a PNY GeForce 7200 G8 GFX card from my "custom" built Mac or "Hackintosh" and after installing some drivers, the game looked so much better. Now I can play my Unreal Gold and plus more classic FPS games. I really hope to get the UT99 in to my hands

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old computers? « Reply #223 on: October 11, 2017, 05:20:58 PM » Author: Ash
The discrete graphics adapters (connected to a slot) are more powerful than the basic integrated graphics device on the board

The integrated graphics are generally sufficient for non-gaming uses with a lightweight OS like Linux or Windows XP (and with newer computers, also with heavier OSes like Windows Vista/7/8/and above). For the low demand applications they are more reliable than discrete adapters, since they make less heat and consist of fewer components (they are built into the chipset, and they use the system RAM instead of having their own) so have less things that could fail
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Old computers? « Reply #224 on: March 25, 2019, 12:55:58 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Here's a recently acquired oldie. A Dell Latitude C640. Boasting 2.0 ghz of CPU, 1 gig of ram, a new WiFi card and a 40 gig hard drive.

A friend gave it to me for free so I decided to fix it up and give it new parts and a brand new install of windows 2000 professional SP4.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies