Author Topic: Hurricane Arthur  (Read 10000 times)
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Hurricane Arthur « on: July 05, 2014, 01:33:35 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Arthur's barreling though the Maritimes right now as a post-tropical storm. A great portion of the region is without power. We're going on 8 hours so far. I got the Internet router running off a couple of lantern batteries.  :P No word from the power company on when power will be restored.

Did anyone else here feel Arthur's wrath?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 02:14:51 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hurricane Arthur « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 05:44:26 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
We're high and dry (and HOT) in Ally-Bammy.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Hurricane Arthur « Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 06:02:14 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Not looking good here so far. The wind and rain has mostly died down, but power is still out here, going on 12 hours now. The power company says that power will be restored in town noon tomorrow at the earliest. Still no word on the outlying villages, which is where we are. I've been listening to the linemen on the scanner, and I hear everything from unsalvageable lines, to trees on fire, to breakers that trip as soon as they attempt to restore power to an area, to "a losing battle".

paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: Hurricane Arthur « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 09:41:28 PM » Author: paintballer22
Arthur passed me Friday evening/night all we got was a ton of rain and some wind the lights never went out.
wishus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hurricane Arthur « Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 12:47:53 AM » Author: wishus
Yikes.  I hope your power gets restored soon, TheMaritimeMan!  I know what it's like... the Ice Storm of '98 was something I'll never forget here where I live.

Interested mainly in discharge lighting (mercury, sodium, neon) and also old and unusual incandescents.

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Hurricane Arthur « Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 01:13:53 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
1 day, 7 hours. Laptop is dead, fridge and freezer are now too warm to be healthy, and I've resorted to putting 2 D batteries in series with the lantern batteries to keep the Internet router going.

The power company's previous statement of restoring power downtown by noon today has been retracted... They now say midnight tonight for a couple of the outer villages, and "assessment in progress" for everywhere else. Not sure why, as during the ice storm they had estimated times for everywhere. I think most of them were wrong, but they had them nonetheless.

Brendda75

View Posts
View Gallery

LOVE my 8' slimline!!

Re: Hurricane Arthur « Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 04:49:19 PM » Author: Brendda75
Trent, I hope that you will get your power back on soon!  I would be going nuts if I was in your shoes.  Food in the refrigerator and freezer going bad and no air conditioning!  And of course, I would not be able to run any of my fluorescent lamps!

Love dresses, make-up and just crazy about fluorescent lighting!!  Keep those T12's and magnetic ballasts alive!!

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Hurricane Arthur « Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 07:56:00 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Still out. Power company now says we should be back online by tomorrow night. Some areas say not until Friday! And most areas still say "assessment in progress". Surprisingly the freezer is still somewhat frozen.

Speaking of fluorescent lamps, I've been using the Rayovac Magnum to see my way around. I've put close to 10 hours on the thing since we lost power, and the it keeps trooping along. The batteries in it were already half dead when I put them in.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:05:19 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hurricane Arthur « Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 09:49:38 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Gosh, first Ice Storm 2013, now Arthur. I hope y'all get through OK. I remember hearing about Arthur on the news a few days ago. They said it was going to be massive, and for once, they got it right.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Hurricane Arthur « Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 02:00:23 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
2 days, 8 hours. Power company originally said we would be back online tonight; now they say tomorrow night.

We couldn't hold off any longer, and bought a 1500 watt inverter to Canadian Tire on sale for $130. It works really good. It can't run both the fridge and freezer at once (either compressor uses too much surge current upon starting to start when the other is already running), but it does a great job running either appliance individually. I ran the deep freezer for 45 minutes off the car's battery, and at the end voltage with it running was 11.5V. It jumped up to 12V when it was shut off, and the car started like nothing ever happened. I say it should be good for 1.5, maybe even 2 hours between starts. Beats a noisy generator.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:02:13 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hurricane Arthur « Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 04:15:23 PM » Author: sol
We lost power on July 5 at 11AM, and we had it back on July 6 at 11PM. We also lost the telephone from 4PM on the 6th up to the power restoration at 11PM. We didn't lose anything of value in the fridge, and with a propane kitchen range, we could heat water and cook stovetop meals. A lot of wind and a lot of uprooted and broken trees were responsible for this outage. Hope it's not much longer for you, Trent.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Hurricane Arthur « Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 11:03:44 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Thanks sol et al. Well, the inverter allowed us to run the deep-freeze for a couple of hours, which is better than nothing. We're now 2 days, 17 hours. If power stays out for two more hours, we will have surpassed the outage caused by the December ice storm. Which baffles me because I wouldn't think a tropical storm would cause nearly as much damage as the ice storm did.

Ran into an anomaly with the Rayovac Magnum; almost had a battery rupture inside it. It was running just fine when all of a sudden an audible squeeling noise emanated from inside it, even when turned off. Turns out that while four of the batteries were at 1.2V, one was at 0.0V.  :P Luckily it never did rupture or even leak. Surprisingly the lantern always started up and ran just fine with a battery in that state.

Now on the power company's web site, if I enter our phone number it states that no outages exist for that area, even though the section of outages they previously put our phone number under still exists. If I look at that section now, the restoration time has been moved from tomorrow night to Thursday night. This might or might not be good news.   :P

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: Hurricane Arthur « Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 09:09:22 AM » Author: mrboojay
Wow, I hope it comes back soon, or at all!  That must be hard having to go that long without power.  This sounds like a really bad issue.

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Hurricane Arthur « Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 02:42:35 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
3 days, 8 hours. Our phone number appeared back in the system on the outage site, but it says "assessment in progress". Mom and I are REALLY hurting for a shower.  ::) The larger cities have emergency shower/charge stations set up, but we don't. I've got a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I'm attending a job fair the day after that, so I may have to go looking and smelling like crap.  :P But they'll certainly know why.

Still have the deep freezer running off the car, it hasn't quit running yet. Stuff inside is still slightly thawed. An unknown yellow liquid is dripping from the fridge's freezer into the fridge, and subsequently all over the floor, which I'm trying to keep at bay. We're just about ready to consider the fridge's contents lost. We've moved most of the freezer's contents into the deep freeze.

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hurricane Arthur « Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 04:58:36 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Interesting that when you lose power, the water also goes off. (I assume that you don't have water) I have never had that happen here.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies