Author Topic: Antique Radios  (Read 6386 times)
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Antique Radios « Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 03:00:26 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
After I discovered that it was shorted, I left. I won't be able to work on it again until Saturday March 14.
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Antique Radios « Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 11:37:22 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I'm going either tomorrow or Saturday to pick up this 1939 Philco. It only costs $50.
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Antique Radios « Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 08:03:38 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I went to the BirmingHAMfest this weekend and scored! I got a 1934 Philco 84B "Baby Grand" for only $60! The price tag said $140, and I talked the peddler all the way to 60! It was advertised as working, but I can assure you that it does not. I'll have to do some maintenance this Saturday.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Antique Radios « Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 08:46:50 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
I just watched the video. Definitely check the tubes. In the meantime, simply reseat them and see if that does anything.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Antique Radios « Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 10:45:01 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Yeah, I've taken them out and reseated them about 10 times each. I have a plan, though. These older Philco radios have "dogbone" resistors which love to go way off tolerance. I've seen them as much as 30% off. I'll be replacing those and checking the antenna and oscillator coils. Those are also prone to failure.

In the meantime, I've converted my desk to a radio workbench.

I'm getting thoroughly sick and tired of this 512 KB limit. It took four tries to get the picture to fit.
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Antique Radios « Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 07:15:40 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
My 1941 Zenith can be seen here.
jrmcferren

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Antique Radios « Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 10:42:07 AM » Author: jrmcferren
Interesting.  Did you get any more work done to it since then?
Anyone know if a VARIAC will work on a modifed sine wave inverter? (TRIAC wall dimmers get fried by those)

A variac will work fine on a modified sine wave inverter, it will just be a bit noisy.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Antique Radios « Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 02:19:02 PM » Author: ace100w120v
...Like anything with a transformer! (Magnetic ballasts are indeed more buzzy on MSW)
OK, here's another one then: A vintage analog-tuning tuner/amplifier...how would that do on MSW (transistorized that is, I know vacuum tubes get cooked by MSW)
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Antique Radios « Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 12:46:39 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I had some old transistor radios form the 50s and 60s but I think they were sent to habitat.  :( I remember one and it was a black leather cases and handled Stuart brand 7 transistor radio. I also had another old alarm clock/radio but the alarm clock was way slow.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies