Author Topic: My Remington 60 DeLuxe shaver needs a new cord  (Read 2920 times)
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

My Remington 60 DeLuxe shaver needs a new cord « on: December 07, 2014, 12:07:04 AM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I got this 1954 Remington shaver for $7.00 today. I tried it, and it wouldn't go. I cleaned and oiled every part and discovered that the cord has a break presumably from the connector being yanked out of the shaver. I hooked up some alligator clips to the shaver and stuck the wires into the outlet and it started working. Where can I get a new cord?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 12:08:42 AM by TheUniversalDave1 » Logged
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: My Remington 60 DeLuxe shaver needs a new cord « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 01:11:18 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
Looks like the type of plug a portable stereo (or the Burgess Safari Lite, for that matter) would use. You might have one lying around. If not, they are available on eBay. I have no clue if such other cords will actually fit, but if the pins line up at least, you could trim the plastic away so that the plug fits in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-POWER-CORD-CABLE-FOR-BOOMBOX-RADIO-CD-PLAYER-STEREO-RECEIVER-HD-HOME-THEATER-/321599390116?pt=US_Power_Cables_Connectors&hash=item4ae0d141a4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-TYPE-POWER-CORD-USED-IN-TVs-STEREO-SYSTEMS-VCRs-AND-OTHER-ELECTRONIC-UNITS-/271176577263?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f236230ef

The first shaver I used was a Remington from the 1970s or 80s. It seemed fine when I used it, but since switching to a regular razor, I'd never dream of going back to it, or any electric shaver.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My Remington 60 DeLuxe shaver needs a new cord « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 08:08:08 AM » Author: sol
At least it doesn't need some obscure "user replaceable" battery that you can't find anywhere and that the manufacturer will not sell directly to you...

As far as I know, there is not a big variety of 2 conductor cords like this. You will probably end up finding one that fits, even if it means a slight modification of the surrounding plastic on the connector as Maritime Man said.

I've never used an electric razor, nor do I have any intention of doing so. I'm a Gillette kind of guy...
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My Remington 60 DeLuxe shaver needs a new cord « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 07:25:16 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I tried both of the cords in the listings, but the prongs on the shaver are too close together.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My Remington 60 DeLuxe shaver needs a new cord « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 07:31:24 PM » Author: sol
Have you inquired at a store that sells electric razors ? Maybe a hairdressing supplier would have at least a lead to follow...
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My Remington 60 DeLuxe shaver needs a new cord « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 07:33:43 PM » Author: sol
Check this out on the Remington store website.
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My Remington 60 DeLuxe shaver needs a new cord « Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 12:08:24 AM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I cut the cord to see if it was just the connector that was a problem. I then discovered, to my great surprise, that the cord contains no copper at all. At first, I thought it was just badly corroded copper, but then I realize that it is YARN! It is a woven material that is dark green! It feels similar to that twine stuff that you buy in a roll. Wirenuts are completely useless, they just fall off. Why on God's green earth would they use string/yarn/twine instead of Cu??? And the stuff has a horrible dirty smell.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies