Author Topic: Electric Motors  (Read 7579 times)
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electric Motors « Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 12:04:40 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
We got the "box" assembled and stained it with Minwax. The color I chose was "Ebony." It is a dark brown that brings out the grain of the wood. We should be finished by this weekend. Although, tomorrow (Saturday) we're going back to all those Restores we went to a few days ago. Maybe I'll find some more cool stuff!
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Electric Motors « Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 11:07:39 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Looks good!

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electric Motors « Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 07:00:51 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
We got the box stained and sealed. The sealer gives it a shine. I will actually be using a different motor with a bigger four blade bladeset. I think the other shaded pole motor was a bit too small for this box.
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electric Motors « Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 12:54:50 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I've really messed up now. A few days ago, I got a circa 1915 GE oscillating fan in "basket case" condition.  I thought I could fix it, but I didn't realize it was beyond my scope until after it was all apart. We pretty much destroyed the windings when trying to get them out. The only way we could get out them out was to pound it from the back with a piece of wood. Well that put a bunch of dents on the coil. I've been trying to develope a fan plan for it. I could either buy a new motor from eBay or hire somebody to rewind the coil for me.  Then, I have to get the insane amount of grease and crap off the metal parts. I will probably be building an electrolysis tank to do so. THEN, I want to try to get the bladeset and cage either brass or nickel plated. It's gonna be a long journey with this fan.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:43:19 PM by TheUniversalDave1 » Logged
eclipsislamps

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electric Motors « Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 05:18:59 AM » Author: eclipsislamps
I have a very small collection of motors. A 0.5kw single phase unit, a washing machine motor and a box full of little square shaded pole motors and that's it. I also have a VFD for them. Absolutely love the wirring sound large induction motors make when they start up. To the point that I actually get shivers down my spine if its loud enough.

I do have a few stepper motors and a raspberry pi board. The intention of that is to make a mini CNC machine for a dremel for cutting neat holes in plastic but I haven't got round to it yet.

Keeping electrodes hot and gases ionzied.

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electric Motors « Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 07:28:39 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I finished my homemade box fan. It doesn't move much air on account of the mesh blocks most of it. I might replace that with eggcrate.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Electric Motors « Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 07:31:55 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
That looks awesome! Yeah, the mesh is pretty thick. Some thinner wire mesh should help that.

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electric Motors « Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 08:11:59 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Thanks. :D This could be considered "practice" for what I am about to dive into. That 1915 GE is going to be a huge challenge. It needs a complete 100% overhaul. We're going to put the cast iron parts into electrolysis, prime it, paint it with Rustoleum Engine Enamel, and hopefully buy a new stator from an  AFCA member.

That reminds me, I found a 3 MFD run capacitor in a junk Lasko heater. I know some old fans have run capacitors around this size. Do you know why? I thought maybe I could put that capacitor in the 1915 GE to improve performance or something
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Electric Motors « Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 08:27:41 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Some larger motors use run capacitors as an inherent part of the design. I don't know how it works. Some motors may also use a start capacitor, and how that works is the capacitor is connected in series in the motor when you first turn it on, and via resonance, increases the current (and so the torque) through the motor. Once the motor is spinning fast enough, a centrifugal switch shorts out the capacitor, and the motor runs normally. Don't connect a capacitor in series with a motor that isn't meant to use one, though, or something may blow.

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electric Motors « Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 09:32:23 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Okay then. Here's another picture of the old GE if you want to see what it looks like AFTER cleaning all the grease off.
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electric Motors « Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 10:11:56 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I've been using the homemade boxfan to circulate air while I'm in the shower (I take crazy hot showers) and the cheap little motor is, well, cheap. It has started making loud startup noises (a loud growling sound) and it whines in operation. Maybe I'll put some "shut-up grease" in it. Wheel bearing grease. We will see if that helps.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Electric Motors « Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 10:15:50 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Just needs oil. C-frame motors are easy to completely disassemble and clean and oil everything. I don't know about the internal coil type like this one, though. I guess just try dripping some down both sides of the shaft. I don't know if grease would help or not; I suppose it couldn't hurt.

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electric Motors « Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 11:12:20 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I took it apart and used white lithium grease in it before I installed it, but I guess it's not enough.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Electric Motors « Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 11:46:32 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
I did some looking, and apparently lithium grease is all right for shaded pole motors, although not most people's first choice. I'd personally never use it, at least for C-frame motors, because in some of them, each bearing has a sponge pad inside it which soaks up the oil, and I'd be afraid that the grease would clog up the pads and stuff.

I use 3-In-1 Oil. That's about the best stuff you could use for motors, in my opinion.

Also never use WD-40. It's a solvent, not a lubricant.

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electric Motors « Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 06:12:59 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Yeah, I quit using WD-40 years ago. If I need to loosen a stuck bolt or something, I will use Ultra Lube 4X.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies