Author Topic: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer  (Read 16129 times)
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer « Reply #30 on: April 17, 2015, 08:36:31 AM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Nice! I can't wait to see a video!
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer « Reply #31 on: April 17, 2015, 12:53:04 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Nice! I can't wait to see a video!

Already filmed. I just gotta wait on reinstalling Windows on my laptop - I contracted a virus or something that makes nothing work anymore, including my video editor. That's why I haven't uploaded anything in three weeks. There's also the remaining two videos of the 7300, which I want to upload beforehand (even though the videos of that seem almost pointless now that I have this stuff). So it will probably be a few weeks.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:45:35 AM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer « Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 03:32:26 PM » Author: mrboojay
Wow nice collection.  Apple notebooks are pretty cool looking, and interesting.  I have an old MacBook that might be the same as yours (white plastic, hazard to say 2009) that runs OSX 10.5.8.  Would be neat to see if I can get it to run Mavericks.  Also about the backlight thing, dieselducy took the back off of his MacBook's monitor and put an F4T5 lamp behind it, you could try that. :P  Granted though he did that beccause it had completely gone out.  Still, nice job getting all of those, wish I was that lucky. ;)

Also, in your 7300 video I hear you talking about a high Hz killing an IBM CRT, do you have a video of such a thing?  I would be interested in seeing it.

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer « Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 03:39:35 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Thanks! I still gotta buy a power adapter for the MacBook. Those magsafe chargers aren't cheap, even on the used market.

Nope, no video. Just a very clear memory lol. It was some 7 or 8 years ago. I was toying around in the display settings, and Windows XP allowed me to go up to 200 Hz. I had the monitor successfully running at 120 Hz, and I had no clue damage could be done, so I tried it. There was a loud bang, and the picture went out, and that was it. No smoke or smell.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:53:45 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer « Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 04:24:58 PM » Author: mrboojay
Oh, ouch, well thanks for the reply.  Also I think I have seen those chargers on eBay for around 20-30 USAD around here.

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer « Reply #35 on: April 20, 2015, 07:57:11 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Video of installing Mac OS 9 on the Power Macintosh 7300 is now live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_k9Pwpd7yw

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer « Reply #36 on: June 10, 2015, 07:16:21 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
I thought I would provide an update on some of the Macs I saved from recycling.

The PowerBook G4 works absolutely perfect. Oddly, the battery acted irreversibly dead, refusing to charge at all. Then I let the computer sit unplugged for a month, and I plugged it in again just a few days ago, and the battery charged right up. I get over 3 hours of run time!! I don't know what caused the battery to act like a write-off and then later like a brand new battery, but I'm sure glad it did. I also purchased replacement keyboard keys. So now it's 100% functional. Between that and the beautiful shape it's in, this couldn't have been a more perfect find. I also have 1 GB of RAM coming for it. All-in-all I've spent about $30 on it, and it was by far worth it. I have it running Mac OS X 10.4, and I'm typing this post with it. When my 1 GB of RAM comes, I'll upgrade it to 10.5.

Amazingly, despite their mangled state, the PowerBooks 180c and 190cs both power on. I stuck a boot floppy in the 180c, and it booted right up. The trackball barely worked, but otherwise it worked perfect. The 190cs booted right up, but the display is completely dead. I think I'll pawn the 190cs off somewhere, but I may try to piece the 180c back together.

Still gotta get a power adapter for the MacBook.

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer « Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 05:06:34 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Ah, the text-to-speech, what fun we had with that. At the time, it was only available in English. Resourceful as we were (my sisters and I), we wrote in phonetic to make it speak in French. The results were variable... Nowadays you can download the extension from Apple to make it speak in a variety of languages. I downloaded the French ones, and now sometimes make it speak in English, just because.  8)
some of the text to speech programs are stupid (Siri I'm looking at you). It is funny since it mispronounces some common words and when I have it speak a sentence with the word "wind" in it she says it like in the sense of winding a clock.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer « Reply #38 on: October 01, 2015, 06:56:47 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Good news, the MacBook saved from e-waste works. The battery is no good and the display is also dead (very common on these - I actually expected it), but the rest of the computer works fine. I bought a generic charger and cheap DVI-VGA adapter, and it's been working just fine hooked up to my TV. Installed Mac OS X 10.6, and it's been working great. This is the first time I've ever used a modern Intel Mac for any length of time, so I'm quite enjoying it. It's an early 2008 model, 2.1 GHz Core 2 Duo, 1 GB of RAM.

I want to remove the display and use it as a halftop. I'll also upgrade it to at least 2 GB (ideally 4 GB) of RAM and install 10.7. So long as it doesn't suddenly die, it should make a great desktop machine.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer « Reply #39 on: October 01, 2015, 07:14:18 PM » Author: Ash
Great save !

It sorta sounds unnatural to me that a Core 2 Duo is called Vintage... I am not yet thinking of it as being vintage (and typing this right now on a Pentium 4)

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer « Reply #40 on: October 01, 2015, 08:13:57 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Sorry - I originally started this thread when I got my first Mac, then after I scored half a dozen more all at once I decided to just post updates about all of them here.

With that said, I would at this point call the Core 2 an "older" platform, but certainly not vintage. Far more than enough power for everything I do still. Heck, the average Core 2 Duo has twice the power of my much newer ThinkPad which has an AMD E-450 APU. But definitely in the Mac world, the Core 2-based machines like this one are now considered obsolete. Apple and many other developers quit supporting them years ago.

I'm amazed that you live off a Pentium 4 machine! I don't think a Pentium 4 can even play YouTube anymore.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer « Reply #41 on: October 01, 2015, 09:01:49 PM » Author: Ash
I have many boxes that i saved over the years, or made up from parts i acquired over the years (thats my other thing besides lighting). Got prety much everything between 386 and 1st gen Core i3, but the boxes i actually use (and not only "got" as in go the M/B w/CPU in it laying around) are Pentium 4 and Core 2 Duo generations. That are the ones i am actively collecting too

The 3GHz/800/1M Pentium 4 Prescott is pretty capable, with maxed out RAM it handles well most web surfing (with 3 different browsers open and few tabs in each) / non HD Youtube. Plays locally stored 720p video perfectly. Maybe could do 1080p with a better video card on a PCIe board (this one is AGP)
LightBulbFun

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer « Reply #42 on: October 12, 2015, 08:45:26 AM » Author: LightBulbFun
I dont Normaly check out the forum section of LG but when I saw this thread I just had to reply I am a Big Apple/Macintosh Guy and I own quite a few Macintoshes and Have done a lot of OS X/software "hacking" I got Tiger running on a 604 PowerPC CPU for example... http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/os-x-tiger-on-a-603-604-cpu.1908276/ I was also the First Guy to boot OS X Leopard 10.5 in a PowerPC emulator http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/leopard-booted-in-a-powerpc-emulator-qemu.1907447/ this is Just the tip of the Ice burg of stuff Iv done...  you can see all the PPC macs i own in my signiture in the Mac rumors fourm... I also own a Black macbook and a Santa rosa Macbook pro 3,1 (that I have had to reflow twice now). I recommend running 10.8.5 on the macbook even tho it aint offcialy support there are ways to run it on that machine and it runs much better then 10.7.5 did (my blackbook was running 10.8.5 heh)  my Main machine is currently a MSI Laptop hackintosh running El capitan  (oh regarding your 96MB thing in OS X heres a picture of Leopard running on 96MB of ram  ;D 6GB HDD image so no swap space ether LOL)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:05:55 AM by Bulb Freak » Logged

My other hobby is buses, especially the Routemaster (formerly Bulb Freak)

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer « Reply #43 on: October 12, 2015, 12:19:47 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Good news, the MacBook saved from e-waste works. The battery is no good and the display is also dead (very common on these - I actually expected it), but the rest of the computer works fine. I bought a generic charger and cheap DVI-VGA adapter, and it's been working just fine hooked up to my TV. Installed Mac OS X 10.6, and it's been working great. This is the first time I've ever used a modern Intel Mac for any length of time, so I'm quite enjoying it. It's an early 2008 model, 2.1 GHz Core 2 Duo, 1 GB of RAM.

I want to remove the display and use it as a halftop. I'll also upgrade it to at least 2 GB (ideally 4 GB) of RAM and install 10.7. So long as it doesn't suddenly die, it should make a great desktop machine.

I see you got HP Laserjet 4. Thats one of the best laser printers ever made IMO. I had one 4M+ in regular use until it's fuser broke down in last spring. It served me well over 10 years. After that I bought HP Officejet pro X476dw MFP which has also been good multi funtion printer.

Laserjet 4 series featured famous (for being confusing and inappropriate) error message "pc load letter". There is even wikipedia article about that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_LOAD_LETTER

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Scored a vintage Macintosh computer « Reply #44 on: October 12, 2015, 12:41:59 PM » Author: Ash
I got Laserjet 1200 and 2600n. The 1200 i found trashed in 2006 with a deep jammed page of paper. That was the only fault with it, after releasing the page from it it worked fine. The 2600n i recently got from college as they were putting equipment for trash. I have not tested it but it could be working

The older Laserjets look like great printers
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies