Author Topic: Xenon Short Arc Lamp Tungsram XHP 1000HS OFR  (Read 2759 times)
xantypa
Xenon Short Arc Lamp Tungsram XHP 1000HS OFR « on: March 12, 2015, 07:30:50 AM » Author: xantypa
Hello to everybody.
I've got 3 of this NOS in boxes, made in 1987.

Will a low pressure in Air Gargo (1/4 of the sea level) be dangerous for it?
One got sold to USA and has to fly.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:35:40 PM by xantypa » Logged
paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: Xenon Short Arc Lamp Tungsram XHP 1000HS OFR « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 11:03:14 AM » Author: paintballer22
Are they degassed I would like a degassed one for the collection so i can display it without worries of it exploding.   
xantypa
Re: Xenon Short Arc Lamp Tungsram XHP 1000HS OFR « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 11:59:36 AM » Author: xantypa
Are they degassed I would like a degassed one for the collection so i can display it without worries of it exploding.   
No, they are how they left the factory in 1987  :)
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Xenon Short Arc Lamp Tungsram XHP 1000HS OFR « Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 10:35:40 PM » Author: BlueHalide
The blast-proof cases these lamps are packaged in are made of polycarbonate. Just buy a sheet of clear polycarbonate, cut it into 6 panels, build a box out of it and display the lamp in it
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Xenon Short Arc Lamp Tungsram XHP 1000HS OFR « Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 12:44:03 AM » Author: tolivac
These lamps were commonly used in cinemas for lighting motion picture projectors-35MM film.Yes,HANDLE THESE BULBS so carefully--they are under high pressure even when unlit.Keep the lamp in its protective case at all times.Digital cinema projectors also use a similar lamp.These bulbs will be replaced by laser lighting in digital projectors in the next year.IMAX is going to them.IMAX film projectors used a 14KW water cooled Xenon lamp.I know of an IMAX projectionist that told me about when one of these bulbs let loose during a show!IMAX had to be called to essentually rebuild the projector lamphouse!
merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: Xenon Short Arc Lamp Tungsram XHP 1000HS OFR « Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 03:56:19 AM » Author: merc
I wonder who can do the "degassing" and how do they do it?

I suppose it's an expensive procedure...? Do they drill a microscopic hole to the glass to let the gas go slowly without an explosion? Do they use a laser? Do they freeze the lamp...? Thanks.
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Xenon Short Arc Lamp Tungsram XHP 1000HS OFR « Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 04:03:19 PM » Author: BlueHalide
A Ushio rep told me at a trade show that the XBO lamps are degassed by placing the entire lamp in a air tight chamber, the chamber/container is then filled with compressed air to nearly the same pressure as the xenon pressure in the lamp. Then somehow they cut off the end of the hollow pinched lead thats used to fill the lamp, then the pressure of the container is slowly released by a valve. The container is then opened, and the safe, degassed lamp is removed
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Xenon Short Arc Lamp Tungsram XHP 1000HS OFR « Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 01:09:50 AM » Author: Medved
As far as I know, because of the cost of the materials (Xenon and tungsten; they are the major contributor to the lamp cost), these lamps were (or are) quite routinely refurbished - at the end that means sharpening the electrodes and "replacement" of the quartz bulb (the expensive Xenon removed and cleaned, the quartz probably smashed, electrodes made of big pieces of expensive tungsten machined to recover the correct tip shape, then all that used to make a new bulb), there should be available jigs to degas them in the way the Xenon is not only removed from the bulb, but (because so expensive) contained without contaminating it too much, so it could be reused again.

On a trade show I may imagine just some simplified jig (that pressurized box), which is just able to safely degas the bulb, but not able to recover the materials.

No more selfballasted c***

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Xenon Short Arc Lamp Tungsram XHP 1000HS OFR « Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 10:43:13 PM » Author: BlueHalide
The major movie theater chain here used XBO projectors all the way up till about 2005, when they went all DLP digital, I remember a conversation with a manager back when they still used the short arc xenons, he said the lamp dealer (where the theaters sourced all the lamps from) always came in to replace the lamps and said that the lamps get recycled and that there is a very good chance that the lamps being installed today are essentially the same lamps that were used two decades ago. And that if the client (theater company) chooses to purchase recycled lamps they save 35% off the cost of new lamps, compared to buying new and throwing out every lamp cycle.

Also, to anybody who has seen the magnetic ballast for one of the 8000-10,000w XBO lamps, youll know why digital projectors have taken over. The ballast box was the size of a microwave oven and contained 4 core and coil ballasts that were over twice the size of a typical 1000w MH ballast, and I clearly remember "20KV" stamped on the igniter which was about twice the size of a soda can
xantypa
Re: Xenon Short Arc Lamp Tungsram XHP 1000HS OFR « Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 03:30:41 PM » Author: xantypa
Will a low pressure in Air Gargo (1/4 of the sea level) be dangerous for it?
One got sold to USA and has to fly.
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Xenon Short Arc Lamp Tungsram XHP 1000HS OFR « Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 01:12:00 AM » Author: tolivac
These short arc Xenon bulbs need to be run from essentually a rectifiying ballast.The ignitor has to generate up to 70Kv to strike these lamps.The theaters I knew of that used these bulbs simply exploded them in their dumpsters.They thought it was fun-drop the bulb into the dumpster from top of the theater roof!I had never heard of these Xenon bulbs being recycled or rebuilt.Anything could be possible.Another way they got rid of the bulbs was to put them into their containers and throw them into the outside wall.Was still enough!Since the lamp was in the container-the quartz glass didn't fly around.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies