Author Topic: Kettle switches off street light.  (Read 4172 times)
dp
Kettle switches off street light. « on: October 07, 2007, 12:19:59 PM » Author: dp
Fellow enthusiast Mike Barford posted on the streetlightinguk Yahoo Group, about a video clip of a woman who's kettle can actually switch off a streetlamp!

I've never actually heard of this happening, and I see no one else here has posted about it so I thought it was worth a chance to post it here.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Kettle switches off street light. « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 02:53:01 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
I am guessing maybe an old lamp inside this one...and turning it on makes a power dim making this light.....cycle???

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

mr_big
Re: Kettle switches off street light. « Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 12:06:46 PM » Author: mr_big
Oops, just realised, forgot to post the link.  ::)

Anyway here is the video. Quite curious indeed. ???
mr_big
Re: Kettle switches off street light. « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 12:24:14 PM » Author: mr_big
Why don't they try changing the lamp instead of checking the voltage ;D
SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Kettle switches off street light. « Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 02:43:26 PM » Author: SeanB~1
Best bet is a poor connection between the house and the substation transformer, when the kettle is switched on the voltage drops enough to get the older lamps, with higher running voltage, to trip until they cool down. Most likely a neutral, unless this house is fed from the same phase as the lights. Didn't get the video (BBC player not cooperating) but from audio seems that it is a few lights, and most likely the house is fed from older overhead wiring.
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: Kettle switches off street light. « Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 08:55:54 PM » Author: prawnman88
that was kool but it whould be a real trip if half of england went out as she turned it on lol :)
SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Kettle switches off street light. « Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 12:46:00 AM » Author: SeanB~1
Prawnman, that would be Zimbabwe................ The land of the candle, where a week long is not uncommon.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies