Author Topic: 250W Mercury Vapor ballast  (Read 3794 times)
ggillis

View Posts
View Gallery

AEL 175W NEMA

250W Mercury Vapor ballast « on: April 08, 2015, 04:45:29 PM » Author: ggillis
Anybody know if there is such a thing as a 250 Watt HX-NPF mercury vapor ballast?

Red Seal Electrician

Click on the link below to view my gallery:

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/index.php?cat=11790

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: 250W Mercury Vapor ballast « Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 10:12:28 PM » Author: lights*plus
Hmm, Normal Power Factor..? Is that even possible?
ggillis

View Posts
View Gallery

AEL 175W NEMA

Re: 250W Mercury Vapor ballast « Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 02:12:11 PM » Author: ggillis
Reason I ask, NEMA's came in 250 Watt mercury vapor versions, I don't know whether they were all 250 watt self ballasted merc's or they some how fit a 250 watt CWA ballast in them or what.

Red Seal Electrician

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 250W Mercury Vapor ballast « Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 08:18:00 PM » Author: BlueHalide
Mercury vapor ballasts can be made much smaller, at higher losses however. Ive removed a few 250w MV area lights (prob NEMA heads) which were identical in size to the 175w versions. The 250w ballasts in these were considerably smaller than usual, about the same size as a 175w metal halide ballast. If I remember right, they were HX type and without capacitor. They also got super ridiculously hot, I remember all those fixture's wiring insulation would just crumble and flake off when I would touch it. 
ggillis

View Posts
View Gallery

AEL 175W NEMA

Re: 250W Mercury Vapor ballast « Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 06:44:17 PM » Author: ggillis
Sounds like they forced too many watts into too small of space lol  :P

Red Seal Electrician

Alights

View Posts
View Gallery

USA (120V 60HZ)

Re: 250W Mercury Vapor ballast « Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 07:52:35 PM » Author: Alights
I have a steber brand floodlight that has a Jefferson NPF mv ballast it's really a differece how fast the lamp warms up compared to a CWA ballast, although not as good for the lamp
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 250W Mercury Vapor ballast « Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 09:58:18 PM » Author: funkybulb
Well i do know HX MV ballast do exist
They were very common sight in San Antonio , Tx
But they are long gone, There is a 250 watt jefferson
Nema ballast on ebay.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 250W Mercury Vapor ballast « Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 12:53:42 AM » Author: tolivac
I have a 250W MV ballast that WAS "N" PF.To convert it to HPF just add the value and volt rating capacitor as specified on the ballast nameplate-Did that-lower power consumption.It is a High reactence ballast-not CWA.With NPF High reactence ballasts they draw high start current and the current goes down as the lamp warms up.With the capacitor the warm up draw and run draw is less.The cap compensates for the reactence of the ballast-and another bonus--the ballast runs cooler with the cap.Can't remember the brand of the ballast-was in a package for a 250W aquarium light.
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 250W Mercury Vapor ballast « Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 01:51:16 AM » Author: don93s
I do have a 240v 400w MV HX choke ballast from a GE Powerbracket. I suppose in 240v it's easier to use higher wattage in less space since it's only one coil.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies