Author Topic: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why?  (Read 8676 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why? « Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 05:36:05 PM » Author: Rommie
And a pearl finish 80W or 125W mercury lamp, as I will forever regret breaking the one I had when I was a teenager  :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mr. Orthosilicate

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why? « Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 06:04:31 PM » Author: Mr. Orthosilicate
I’d get a bunch of White F100T17 & F40T12 Mazda lamps, some RF fixtures and lamps, a lot of 40w & 100w preheat industrial lights, and a bunch of medium pressure and early quartz mercury lamps, including the 3000w A-H9 mercury lamp.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why? « Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 12:03:26 AM » Author: joseph_125
Probably some of the older Powerlite fixtures that were never really well known outside of Canada and are super rare to get now. Maybe a full set of /Y caution yellow mercury lamps and /X deluxe white mercury lamps too.

In terms of fluorescent stuff, probably some louvered classroom fixtures and some PG17 and T17 stuff. Including the super rare F65T17 3' T17 lamp.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why? « Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 12:04:08 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
A cast housing OV-20 with the flat bottom refractor. seeing miles and miles of them on the freeway by my grandparents house in Buffalo N.Y. is what sparked my love of streetlights .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why? « Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 10:11:18 PM » Author: Lumex120
I'd go back to 2005 or so and get a 100w mercury vapor AEL 115.
Edit: And a crapton of 50w mercury vapor ballasts. When they were available they were like $15.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:31:33 PM by Lumex120 » Logged

Unofficial LG Discord

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why? « Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 07:54:53 AM » Author: CEB1993
This would be a lot of fun for me  :) I’d go back in time to the 1980’s to get some packs of red etch GE Misers, especially because I don’t have a red 70 watt Miser in my collection yet.

Next I’d go back to the late 1990’s and stock up on GE’s Lightstyles for Lifestyles era packaging. I remember being a kid in the late 90’s and seeing these packages on store shelves and in my parents’ house. This was the time I first remember becoming interested in light bulbs and lighting. The blue and white 1990’s era GE packaging is perhaps the most sentimental to me because it represents the beginning of my love of lighting. I also enjoy antique and old stock lighting, so any opportunity to save and preserve it makes me really happy.

Finally, I’d jump back to about 2006 to stock up on the black and blue packages of Philips DuraMax incandescents. Those were excellent bulbs made in Mexico, Canada, and Poland at that time when I was an early teen. That was right before I got my license so I was about 2 years to young to drive myself to the store to get these.  The Philips Halogenas from France were also big in 2006, so I’d get a bunch of those too. Seems like the Halogenas were more expensive and only sold at Home Depot and a few grocery stores at the time.

All these bulbs I’d stock up on have sentimental value to me and would serve practical purposes for lighting my home. They are much better quality than many of today’s non-LED lighting products.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why? « Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 08:32:15 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
I'd go back in time to the 50's, 60's, and 70's and stock up on as many mercury vapor cobraheads as I could. Westinghouse OV-15 and OV-25 Silverliners, General Electric M250 and M400's, American Electric cobraheads, Line Material Unistyles, Pemco cobraheads. I would also stock up on early General Electric photocontrols, Fisher Pierce photocontrols, and mercury vapor lamps.

Of course I would also stock up on SOX fixtures and lamps knowing how expensive they are when you come across them now.
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why? « Reply #22 on: November 30, 2019, 07:52:09 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
A GE Powr/Bracket! They were the second fixture I ever saw! And a lot of old MV cobra heads. Like a Joslyn spaceship.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why? « Reply #23 on: November 30, 2019, 10:16:36 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Photos!, I wish I’d had taken photos of all our old street lighting, there was pictures of Booth Lane when the golden linears were in service in a pub called The Kings Lock in our town, but few photos exist in the early 80s when I remember all the best stuff!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why? « Reply #24 on: November 30, 2019, 11:29:30 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Photos!, I wish I’d had taken photos of all our old street lighting, there was pictures of Booth Lane when the golden linears were in service in a pub called The Kings Lock in our town, but few photos exist in the early 80s when I remember all the best stuff!
We never made it up to there to have a drink, we did stop at the Big Lock though.  8)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why? « Reply #25 on: November 30, 2019, 11:56:45 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
I'd go back to the 1940s and get a bunch of preheat stuff, some incandescent bulbs, and porcelain backed 4 way snap switches.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why? « Reply #26 on: November 30, 2019, 12:03:27 PM » Author: AngryHorse
The Big Lock down Finnys Lane is a great pub, nice meals too, Finnys Lane use to be lit with all Beta 5s mounted on wooden poles, I think their all columns down there now though, we used to park down there to visit the annual bonfire night display at Middlewich cricket club each year when we were kids, Middlewich cricket club still do the same display to this day, but swamped down with stupid H+S rules now!!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why? « Reply #27 on: December 01, 2019, 02:30:13 AM » Author: Michael
I would get:
Aeroform fluorescent streetlights with four 40W tubes (those were used long time ago hereabouts as I remember)
Fluvia fluorescent streetlights with HO 100W fluorescent streetlights (as seen in the catalogue)
SOI and SO/H sodiumlamps for my old lantern
ballasts for 40W 2ft lamps (those I skipped decades ago)
ballasts for 120W (140W) fluorescent tubes (because I have so many 120W tubes but no ballast)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 02:33:29 AM by monkeyface » Logged
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why? « Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 11:39:31 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I would like to go back in time and pay more attention to the lighting used. Then get my mitts on as many LPS lamps as possible of all wattages  8)

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: If you could go back in time to get any lighting, what would you get? And why? « Reply #29 on: January 08, 2020, 11:40:24 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Another lamp I would get would be a MAT lamp  :)

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies