Author Topic: Fluorescent tube power ratings  (Read 6844 times)
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Fluorescent tube power ratings « on: May 10, 2015, 06:10:34 AM » Author: marcopete87
Hi all, sometimes i see fluorescent values like 17W, 34W, 10W, etc...
How about listing ratings and list if they are retrofits?
(i'll update table everytime i can)

WCurrentSizeLength (mm)Retrofit
110W (HO)n.d.T122400mmN/A
100Wn.d.T122400mm125W T12
58W0.67AT81500mmYES, 65W T12
51W0.7AT81500mmYES, 58W T8
40Wn.d.T121200mmn.a.
36W0.44AT81200mmYES, 40W T12
34Wn.d.T81200mmYES, 40W T12 (American RS only)
32W0.448AT81200mmYES, 36W T8 (EU ONLY)
30WN.D.T8n.d.n.d.
20Wn.d.T12600mmn/a
18W0.36AT8600mmYES, 20W T12
16W0.38AT8600mmYES, 18W T8
15Wn.d.T8n.d.n.d.
10Wn.d.T8n.d.n.d.

Note: all length are metrical!
Thanks to:
  • dor123
  • Medved
  • Roi_hartmann
  • HU112
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:39:28 PM by marcopete87 » Logged
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Fluorescent tube power ratings « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 06:21:34 AM » Author: dor123
The 58W T8, is a retrofit only in the UK, as they are the only country to have 65W T12. Here in Israel, 58W isn't a retrofit tube, since we had only T12 of 20W and 40W and the american high output T12 of 110W 2400mm
The americans have the 34W T12 1500mm lamp, to retrofit their 40W T12 on their rapidstart ballasts, I don't know what is the lamp current.
The britishes have the 100W T12 2400mm lamp, to retrofit their 125W T12. 58W is a retrofit of 65W and 80W T12 in the UK.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent tube power ratings « Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 06:29:38 AM » Author: marcopete87
thanks dor123!
58W are common across Europe.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent tube power ratings « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 06:52:00 AM » Author: Medved
The retrofitting works only on some ballasts (although that could still mean the vast majority of use of that bulb in a given area), it is not universal at all.
That was one of the reasons, why e.g. in the US the F36T8 was not adopted, but the market went directly to fully incompatible F32T8 - as the F36T8 is compatible with the F40T12 only on a preheat ballasts, but those were long time "abandoned" in the US...

No more selfballasted c***

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Fluorescent tube power ratings « Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 02:53:47 PM » Author: Solanaceae
the thing about the f34t12 tubes used as retrofit tubes is that some ballasts that arent rated will get cooked or (miraculously) survive. it is not advisable to use the f34 tubes on tulamp or preheat ballasts either, as they will also overheat and cook the ballast.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent tube power ratings « Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:52:03 AM » Author: marcopete87
it is not advisable to use the f34 tubes on tulamp or preheat ballasts either, as they will also overheat and cook the ballast.

Can you explain that, please?
what is tulamp?
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent tube power ratings « Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 12:26:40 PM » Author: Solanaceae
F34 tubes draw more amps, therefore driving the ballast to extreme limits, possibly burning out the coils or caps. Tulamp ballasts are vintage lead lag ballasts. The lead lag circuit consists of an autotransformer and the ballast could. It also has a cap, which is part of the circuit and then one for the power factor.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent tube power ratings « Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 01:25:25 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
There is also European energy saver lamps to replace standart 18w, 36w and 58w T8 lamps. wattages are 16w (0,38A), 32w (0,448A) and 51w (0,7A). These are only meant to be used with preheat ballast. some model names are LUMILUX T8 ES and Master TL-D Eco.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent tube power ratings « Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 06:15:41 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I've also seen preheat American ballasts listing 16 watt lamps as ok to use.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent tube power ratings « Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 10:34:20 AM » Author: Medved
It also has a cap, which is part of the circuit and then one for the power factor.

The cap in the lead circuit is already compensating the phase from the lag circuit, so it is intrinsically high power factor, so there is no need for any separate capacitor just for the power factor correction.

However small capacitors are used for RF supression, but those are not the main functional components.

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent tube power ratings « Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 10:15:18 AM » Author: marcopete87
F34 tubes draw more amps, therefore driving the ballast to extreme limits, possibly burning out the coils or caps. Tulamp ballasts are vintage lead lag ballasts. The lead lag circuit consists of an autotransformer and the ballast could. It also has a cap, which is part of the circuit and then one for the power factor.

does it have sense?
Ballast limit current flow, so how they can "draw" more amps?
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent tube power ratings « Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 12:10:57 PM » Author: Solanaceae
The thing is, f34 tubes are designed exclusively for rapid start, and some of the older ballasts aren't compatible due to them being relatively new. Preheat ballasts will either not work (glowing at the ends) or fire the tube up and run it dim and cook the ballast.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Fluorescent tube power ratings « Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 12:21:22 PM » Author: dor123
The F34 have a lower lamp voltage due to the use of krypton gas filling, so more current passes through the ballast as a result, therefore overloading it. Old rapidstart ballasts which aren't capable to withstand that higher current, would burn their windings or got shorted.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent tube power ratings « Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 12:23:23 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Thank you, dor, that is what I was trying to say. Just use f34t12 tubes on rated ballasts and you're golden.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent tube power ratings « Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 04:59:02 AM » Author: Medved
The ballasts are indeed a constant current sources, but still not ideal current sources. So the current fed into the lamp does slightly depend on the lamp arc voltage. So e.g. when a F40T12 ballast feed 0.43A into the 100V arc F40 tube, it may get to about 0.47A into the 80V arc F34 tube. The current difference seems to be not that large ("just" 10%), you should not forget the power dissipation is proportional to the square of the current, so it will be about 20% higher. Even that does not seems to be that much, but if you think of temperature rise (the difference from the ballast core to the ambient), that is proportional to the power dissipation, so it will be 20% higher as well. Now if we take standard ballast designs, designed to with temperature rise of 50degC, it means the temperature will rise further by about 10degC. And that means about 2x shorter lifetime when the life would be fully limited by just effects corresponding to the diffusion rate equation (all chemical reactions, varnish degradation,...).
That is the reason, why you should never exceed any choke current rating e.g. when using for building a ballast for some another lamp...

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies