Author Topic: Why does Europe have a BC socket and Screw in  (Read 1716 times)
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Why does Europe have a BC socket and Screw in « on: October 29, 2007, 12:24:29 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Why do Europe have both types of sockets for same kind of lighting sources, Are there some kind of codes for which would have screw in or which would have BC socket and base?

Let me know, I'm curious...

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why does Europe have a BC socket and Screw in « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 08:09:36 PM » Author: Medved
BC were advertized, as they do not connect the shell, so reduced shock risk during installation.
But since 50's, a feature was introduced (and made mandatory by codes) to Exx sockets connecting the shell only after fully screwed in (so no touch to the shell possible), so the BC lost it's advantage, so didn't spread further. But BC are still used in UK, rest of Europe use E27 (standard) / E14 (candelabra) sockets with the feature described above.
Usually is designed in the way, the shell connection in the socket is not made to the thread, but by a separate contact on the bottom and side.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies