Author Topic: Strobing Light on Live TV!  (Read 4350 times)
sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

Strobing Light on Live TV! « on: October 31, 2007, 06:15:29 PM » Author: sparkie
Have a look at this video (fast-forward it to 2:30). See if you can spot what happens in the background...

The question is... was this tube strobing or was it being deliberately switched on and off by someone in the switchroom? (knowing that it was in full view of the live TV cameras!)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 06:43:30 PM by sparkie » Logged
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Who's a***ing around with the lights?! « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 06:45:32 PM » Author: FGS
Too many switches for each fixture. My guess is that lamp is failing. I can tell it is a preheat.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

mr_big
Re: Strobing Light on Live TV! « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 10:22:47 PM » Author: mr_big
Yeah, I can see the electrodes glowing a bit orangy definetly a failing lamp
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Strobing Light on Live TV! « Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 12:46:41 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
It may actually be a programmed start, if it's newer...it may be a defective programmed start

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Strobing Light on Live TV! « Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 11:59:02 PM » Author: J-Frog
I've seen programmed start ballasts go bad and usually if its a problem with starting the lamp the ends will glow and then the lamp will light for a second and then back to glowing ends.  Thing is it happens at regular intervals as opposed to a bad preheat lamp which blinks randomly!

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Strobing Light on Live TV! « Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 09:59:43 PM » Author: don93s
Definitely looks like a failing preheat fixture. If I'm not mistaken, this was in London where as well as much of Europe, preheat fluorescents are popular there as rapid start are in North America. What puzzles me is this is supposed to be a new arena (this year) which means an early failing lamp. Also, I would think that new commercial installations are electronic now. Do they still commonly install preheat fixtures in counties with 230 volt mains?
sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Strobing Light on Live TV! « Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 04:07:07 PM » Author: sparkie
It's not as new as it looks - the actual building (Millennium Dome) has been there since mid 1999 when preheats were still quite common in new installations. These lights may have been the original ones yet to be replaced when this footage was broadcast.

Although it is more likely that those lights were temporary 'building site' fixtures which usually run from 110v transformers and are built to withstand regular movement as magnetic ballasts are more robust than electronic ones.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 04:13:31 PM by sparkie » Logged
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Strobing Light on Live TV! « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 11:39:10 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
It's not as new as it looks - the actual building (Millennium Dome) has been there since mid 1999 when preheats were still quite common in new installations. These lights may have been the original ones yet to be replaced when this footage was broadcast.

Although it is more likely that those lights were temporary 'building site' fixtures which usually run from 110v transformers and are built to withstand regular movement as magnetic ballasts are more robust than electronic ones.

USA stopped the preheat over 2 feet in the 70s!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Strobing Light on Live TV! « Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 12:58:52 PM » Author: sparkie
USA stopped the preheat over 2 feet in the 70s!

When I was at college, they re-furbished the library. As part of this they got rid of the 4-tube 4-ft 40w T12 fixtures and replaced them with twin tube 6ft 70w T8's. I got a sneaky look in while they were being installed, and when I looked at the fixtures I couldn't believe what I saw - ST111's in the gear tray!
The reason why it was such a surprise, these were brand new fixtures dated 2007! I thought that magnetic ballasts and glowstarters were banned for new non-domestic installations in the early 2000's?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies