Author Topic: Correct glue for repairing PMMA (acrylic) lantern bowl ?  (Read 1998 times)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Correct glue for repairing PMMA (acrylic) lantern bowl ? « on: May 26, 2015, 03:11:18 PM » Author: Ash
I found a posttop lantern that have a PMMA (acrylic) bowl, or atlest looks like PMMA

The lower section of the bowl is broken into few pieces (some large, some small), but i got all of the pieces that complete the bowl so i want to glue them together

The PMMA is diffused white, somewhat yellowed and rough from 25 years of UV, but only on the surface, in the thicknes the material is still good as seen in the edge of the pieces

I want the glueing to not stand out very badly (the pieces line up well with each other so i dont need any thickness of the glue), to be reliable, long lasting, and sturdy enough (the bowl also supports a large metal shade)

Thought of using cyanoacrylate

- Is cyanoacrylate (super glue) suitable for the task ?

- How much is the strength compromised ?

- The lantern is originally 150W SON-T, that is quite marginal for the lantern even in good condition. Is the glue at risk of going apart from the heat ? Is it better to convert it down to 100W or 70W SON ? (100W is easy conversion, 70W not so much because i will have to hack an E27 socket in a place that have the screw holes for E40 only)

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Correct glue for repairing PMMA (acrylic) lantern bowl ? « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 05:25:41 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Could you use RTV silicone glue to put the pieces back together? The only obvious drawback is that its flammable when it's wet.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Correct glue for repairing PMMA (acrylic) lantern bowl ? « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 02:03:22 AM » Author: Ash
RTV is good on large surfaces, not for matching thin edges
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Correct glue for repairing PMMA (acrylic) lantern bowl ? « Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 12:07:28 PM » Author: Solanaceae
How thick is the bowl plastic?

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Correct glue for repairing PMMA (acrylic) lantern bowl ? « Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 12:16:57 PM » Author: Ash
3 mm
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Correct glue for repairing PMMA (acrylic) lantern bowl ? « Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 04:35:49 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I'd use superglue and then put the rtv silicone over the cracks for extra sturdy.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Correct glue for repairing PMMA (acrylic) lantern bowl ? « Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 04:47:28 PM » Author: Ash
It wont really add much, but if i wipe a "band" of RTV it will be more noticable and that i want to avoid (i want to hide the cracks as much as possible, so better if they remain only the crack hairline itself with the superglue)

Thing is, will the superglue last ? And how will it react to the heat of 100W..150W SON-T (HPS) ?

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Correct glue for repairing PMMA (acrylic) lantern bowl ? « Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 08:41:09 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I'm not sure. It may depend, since some brands of superglue vary on the outer limit of their functionality. You could do some research and find clear heat resistant adhesive, which should be available at a hardware store or online. There is also heat resistant gorilla glue that may work.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies