Author Topic: Favorite songs & artists?  (Read 20417 times)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Favorite songs & artists? « Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 12:06:21 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Bob Marley
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Rolling Stones
The Animals
Led Zepplin
Grateful Dead
Bob Dylan
The Verve
The Beatles
The Doves
Milky Chance
The Black Keys
Kings of Leon
Blind Melon
Weezer
Billy Joel
Beck
Foster the people
Arctic Monkeys
Of monsters and men

(the list continues.... )

i have like 98 bands on my MP3 player...

and like 3380 songs

really i have no set genre, i'll listen to alot of things

MP3 player is one of my favourite possessions, screw cellphones.... this thing can store more last days on a charge and take a fall off a 3 story building

basically carrying an archive in my pocket
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:10:04 AM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Favorite songs & artists? « Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 10:53:05 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
A bunch of different stuff (in no particular order):
Rock/Metal/Alt-rock/Classic-Rock/Industrial/Pop/Some Country/Most anything 80's/ and /Club/Dance/Techno(i guess what in general is called EDM these days)
I could easily go from a Metal CD to something Techno-ish to Country..

but you'll never find me listening to Opera/Jazz/Classical(ie:elevator music)/or real slow-dull-mellow stuff.
I'd rather sit in silence.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Favorite songs & artists? « Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 11:48:08 PM » Author: CEB1993
I forgot to mention that one of my favorite bands is Alabama.  They're an awesome balance of country, classic rock, and Southern rock, my three favorite genres.  My favorite Alabama songs:

Born Country
Mountain Music
Song of the South
Down Home
Roll On 18 Wheeler
Forty Hour Work Week
If You're Gonna Play in Texas
No Bad Days
Angels Among Us
High Cotton

These are just a few of many of Alabama's awesome songs  8)

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: Favorite songs & artists? « Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 03:49:01 PM » Author: Flurofan96
Heya all

Coldplay

ELO

The Prodigy

Guns N Roses

Kraftwerk

Van Halen

Queen

Motorhead

Aphex Twin

Now for the Classical composers:

Beethoven
Chopin
Wieniawskie (violinist composer)
Dvorak
Rachmaninoff
Vivaldi
Tchaikovsky (beautiful music but his works for the violin are not ergonomic to play as he didn't play violin but apparently he loved the sound of it!)
Mendelssohn - am playing 1st mov of his violin concerto in E minor
G. Finzi - clarinet concerto in C minor https://youtu.be/gehMeo5-geE

When it comes to most operas some are fantastic works of art and some sound like inconsistent wailing constantly and I don't like old popular songs of the mid late 20th Century especially wartime era ones like Vera Lynn especially the mellow sounding ones, ugh, even 70s pop songs sound outdated compared to rock artists of Motorhead, Queen, Van Halen and so on!  ;D :D and I also like some Britney Spears songs only two tbh which are Womaniser and Toxic. Jazz music is cool and never seems to sound out of fashion including old ones from the 20s and wartime era! Heck I even to try to learn Jazz violin, gives me distraction from classical   

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite songs & artists? « Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 04:18:45 PM » Author: sol

Now for the Classical composers:

Beethoven
Chopin
Wieniawskie (violinist composer)
Dvorak
Rachmaninoff
Vivaldi
Tchaikovsky (beautiful music but his works for the violin are not ergonomic to play as he didn't play violin but apparently he loved the sound of it!)
Mendelssohn - am playing 1st mov of his violin concerto in E minor
G. Finzi - clarinet concerto in C minor https://youtu.be/gehMeo5-geE

I'm with you on this one. I could add quite a few more, namely Cécile Chaminade, Baldassare Galuppi, Edvard Grieg, Erik Satie, Eugène Gigout, Camille Saint-Saëns, Johannes Brahms, Sergei Prokofiev, Vincent d'Indy, Darius Milhaud, and so on...
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Favorite songs & artists? « Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 10:48:40 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: CEB1993
I forgot to mention that one of my favorite bands is Alabama. 
Good stuff there.

Quote from: Flurofan96
Classical
classical ... all of which I consider elevator music . .LOL.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Favorite songs & artists? « Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 11:00:41 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
i cant stand coldplay... my sister played it constantly ... ahhh

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Favorite songs & artists? « Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 11:04:57 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
i cant stand coldplay... my sister played it constantly ... ahhh

Their modern stuff is trash but their early 2000s music is good, possibly because of nostalgia to me.
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite songs & artists? « Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 11:08:34 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Their modern stuff is trash but their early 2000s music is good, possibly because of nostalgia to me.

I'll look into some of it... my sister was playing alot of their stuff from the later years...

~Owen

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite songs & artists? « Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 06:28:22 AM » Author: sol
classical ... all of which I consider elevator music . .LOL.

Unfortunately, that is what it is used for in many places. Although it makes nice background music, I do like to listen to it at a higher volume. And I really don't like the pejorative term as it has way more uses than playing in an elevator.

There is one notable company (Muzak) that specialized in background music. They even had elaborate systems where some music could play for quite some time before needing human intervention. The company started in the 1930's, that is before the popularization of the LP (long-playing record), which was itself only about 15-20 minutes per side, and had to be manually changed. Over the years, they had multiple systems including very large (12"x12") 8-track cartridges that would play for hours, and later on, multiple cassette decks that fitted with a proper set of tapes, would play one after the other. The term Muzak is often used to describe elevator music and the like.

At one point in the early 1980's, Muzak was bought by Westinghouse.

The remnants of the company still exists today (it was bought out several times) and they supply mainly music-on-hold for corporate telephone systems.

More info : Wikipedia
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite songs & artists? « Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 10:57:09 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I can add:

Portugal The Man
Capital Cities
Fun

to my list just found them out a few days ago when i was listening to the radio

~Owen

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Favorite songs & artists? « Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 11:44:19 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@sol:
I really dislike classical, hence why I call it elevator music :lol: (actually same goes for stuff like jazz too)
But sorry if i offended you..

Yep I've heard of Muzak :) .. and :o I'd love to come across one of those massive 8-track's :o never knew such a thing existed.
Pioneer at one time made a 6-cassette deck for home stereo use. Pretty cool thing back in the day.

-----------
Quote from: HomeBrewLamps
I can add:
Portugal The Man 
I've only heard of that one just  recently.
Whatever song it was that the radio played seemed pretty good.

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: Favorite songs & artists? « Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 06:42:09 AM » Author: Flurofan96
Xmaslightsguy: You have also not offended me because the thing is I am not constantly listening to classical music on CDs hence because I play classical pieces on the violin. There are only 2 piano composers of the classical music that I like to listen is Chopin and Rachmaninoff and there are only 2 organ works of Bach that I like which is BWV 781 and Fugue in G minor (my mum said to me that when it comes to organ works, she only likes Bach and same to me) because since I'm a youngster it will take me time to broaden my taste of classical music, I tend to hopefully like more Bach when I'm twice my current age  :D same with Shakespeare with plays, sonnets and poems (I struggle badly with the Elizabethan era English). In general I tend to mix my daily listening with Aphex Twin, Hard Fi (Stars of CCTV), Motorhead and various classical music especially violin  8) although I must admit I am binge listening on Aphex Twin  ;D :D  :o

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Favorite songs & artists? « Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 07:19:49 AM » Author: suzukir122
I listen to rap and R&B most of the time... although rap nowadays = serious garbage. There are some rap artists
that stand out to me though, including Tech 9.
That being said, if songs like Take Me Home from Phil Collins plays, you can bet I'll be listening to it. That's actually
one of my favorite songs because of the rhythm and the music, and the way that he sings. THAT DUDE can SING!!
Heck, I like any music with good, unique rhythm to it.
A lot of Tupac's work was genius to me too, and apparently he too was a fan of Phil C.
I like all of the classics like the beatles and bands like that, but Phil is honestly my favorite singer of the 80's
besides Michael Jackson. lol

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

TL8W

View Posts
View Gallery

Lee

None
Re: Favorite songs & artists? « Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 10:36:04 AM » Author: TL8W
I enjoy most musical genres

I was fascinated to read Roi_Hartmann's contribution to this topic, as I also have an interest in Muzak/mall/elevator type music. The type from the seventies and earlier where real instruments were used rather than a rhythm box and synthesisers. www.seeburg1000.com is therefore my favourite easy listening radio station as they play vinyls from the 60s and 70s. We had MUZAK in the UK up to the 1990s with some American arrangements mixed in with UK "library" tracks, and through the 70s and 80s every McDonalds in England had a 3M Cantata 700 long play tape machine in the back room. There is some YouTube coverage of C700s mostly choosing the least interesting of the libraries available and attracting some criticism as well as praise. However some of the tapes that were used in England had so much variety in them, if you listened for an hour you would see that each track came from a different record by a different arranger.

This interest in background music came from an early age when our national TV stations in England would play reels of this kind of material when they shutdown during the day, effectively turning TVs into radios, before the advent of 24 hour TV.

Along with conventional music, my "soundtrack" is really anything with good melody and harmony, and where necessary an interesting rhythm.

Styles I enjoy best
Lounge
Jazz
Ambient
Classical
Movies
Ragtime
Folk

I also like some pop and country as well as 50s-60s rock

I appreciate the opera, but would still choose a jazz concert over one!
I play piano in a London pub twice a month, have written and arranged some easy listening tracks on Soundcloud[\url] using a Technincs workstation.

I believe a fair number of us are musicians as well.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 10:41:50 AM by TL8W » Logged

We do not have to agree on anything to be kind to one another. The ability to be civil is available to everyone on earth, for free.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies