Author Topic: LED now, whats next?  (Read 7564 times)
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

LED now, whats next? « on: May 30, 2015, 11:13:30 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
As recent years have shown, LED has come to stay. But is there any visions whats gonna come after LED in general lighting field? I know led is pretty young technology in general lighting field and there probably is lots of things that can be futher developed and improved. Is there even any other lighting technology that can compete in field of general lighting(even in wildest visions of future lighting)?

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED now, whats next? « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 11:35:37 AM » Author: BlueHalide
I would venture to guess that gas discharges are done, we likely wont see any new fluorescent and HID lamps in the future as the technology is about as good as it will get now. I can definitely see LED remaining as the sole technology for a very, very long time. And, don't really expect to see any new technologies come out outside of LED, at least not in my lifetime. I also expect the LED development trend to the about the same as incandescent was. In the next decade we will likely resolve all the current LED issues (LED life, reliability, color rendering etc...) and the technology will remain virtually the same for the following 100 or more years. I can definitely see a heat-resistant LED eventually being produced that can operate at temps much higher than todays chips while still maintaining performance. And the term "light bulb" will fall out of our vocabulary soon enough
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED now, whats next? « Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 12:45:10 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
After LED's, there will be candles. After cars, there will be horse drawn carriages.
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED now, whats next? « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 01:35:20 PM » Author: hannahs lights
How about plasma panels that hang on the wall  say 5 foot square
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: LED now, whats next? « Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 01:57:55 PM » Author: Solanaceae
People will realize what crap LEDs are and LEDisease will be officially cured. They will come to their senses and being magnetic ballasts and Mercury vapor.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: LED now, whats next? « Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 02:08:35 PM » Author: dor123
I've seen two additional new LED installations in Haifa: One near the location of Qiryat Eliezer football stadium (Schreder Teceo), and one near in a road near Hadar city center (Probably Gaash Venus or Mini Venus). The latter installation was discovered when it was operated: Superglaring, but very low lighting level on the ground compared to the previous HPS lanterns.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED now, whats next? « Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 04:17:49 PM » Author: Solanaceae
After LED's, there will be candles. After cars, there will be horse drawn carriages.
after that, we will be flintstoning it!

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED now, whats next? « Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 04:30:30 PM » Author: Ash
Look at what gone up to now :

HPS and MH came, did not push MV to nonexistence. And i dont mean just existing installations, new MV installations were installed in many places right up to the point when the hayheads started setting dates to bans in the most recent years

CFL came, did not push Inc to nonexistence

So without bans, the LEDs would just take some share from all other light sources and stay at that. The purpose of bans is to increase this share into "all of it" because LEDs alone are not capable of being the solution for everything

As long as people are dissatisfied with LED and there are non-banned other options, that other options will stay for what they are even if they are "not as good" by some parameters
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED now, whats next? « Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 08:46:48 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I think LEDs are falling out of favor where I live since they are being put on clearance now at Walmart, dven the name brand ones. I think that people are realizing what garbage they're buying and are returning them.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED now, whats next? « Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 10:43:50 PM » Author: BlueHalide
I think the main reason people aren't buying too many LED bulbs and they sit on the shelves long enough to be clearanced out is simply the price point. People just aren't willing to fork out $15 for a single light bulb yet. And the $10-$16 priced lamps are the poorest quality ones that don't last more than 5 minutes. If you want a halfway decent quality LED lamp youre looking at $20+.
I personally can't stand LEDs moving into applications that have been traditionally filled by HID lamps, the LED streetlights and highbays are the worst. Yes, Ill admit im quite nostalgic particularly to HPS lamps. I grew up in the 90's and the bright and shiny new HPS fixtures were everywhere, with that comfortable, warm, orange light. I mustve sat outside and watched that 150w cobrahead in front of my house fire up a hundred times when I was a kid.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:45:30 PM by BlueHalide » Logged
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED now, whats next? « Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 11:17:38 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I bought two $15 3 pack boxes of utilitech LED par 38 replacement bulbs at lowes in November and none have failed. I have four in the recessed cans in the bathroom, one in storage, and one In the basement above the walk out door. It will be interesting to see if it outlasts the CFL that is in service since October when an incandescent went EOL.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED now, whats next? « Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 03:23:20 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Ive noticed that shops here have a problem of getting older led lamps they have stocked up sold. New improved versions comes so fast pace that nobody wants older ones and thats why those are in discount. CFL has taken serious hit from leds and thats why you see discount CFL sold many places.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED now, whats next? « Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 05:17:59 AM » Author: Medved
And that brings another problem: If you have a chandelier, you need all lamps the same. Well, what to do, when one of them fails after a year?

No more selfballasted c***

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED now, whats next? « Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 06:17:57 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
How about "concept of lamp"? Nowadays you have the fixture where you put the lamp. When the lamp fails you just replace the lamp and thus the fixture itself may have very long life. Most led fixtures I have seen do not have an user replaceable led (or led driver). That means when the led or driver fails you have to replace whole fixture. Is this way in future to have disposable fixtures that you only use as long as it works and then just trash it? Or will there remain concept where led(or light source) is replaceable and thus you may keep using same fixture again? I was just wondering if theres anything for us to collect in 2040 except (then antique) lamps we collect and use today?

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: LED now, whats next? « Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 06:35:03 AM » Author: dor123
This is what I complained before about the LED lighting, that it isn't modular. This is very similar in this case to the combustion lighting, which is also not modular, and hence the adventadge of the electric lamp over combustion lighting. But with LED, we are returning to the very early disadventages of combustion lighting, being not modular, and thats what I see the LED lighting very similar to combustion lighting, despite the difference in the technology.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies