Author Topic: Best scores?  (Read 1564 times)
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Best scores? « on: June 10, 2015, 12:03:36 AM » Author: Solanaceae
I was wondering what your best score of lighting was. Mine was probably when I got 20+ fluorescent tubes and 20+ incandescent bulbs for only $15. I also got four beaten up 20w troffers and bulbs with misc stuff tossed in for $1.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:12:33 AM by Solanaceae » Logged

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best scores? « Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 05:28:40 AM » Author: Ash
I had a lot. Some were "best" as in rare find, some "best" as in finding a lantern i wanted for long, some "best" as in quantity, and some "best" as in oldest NOS....

Rare finds :

- The top of a Gaash cone posttop + the roof off another one. Those were somewhat common in the 70s/80s, what i got is from the turn of the 80, it used to be a 125w mercury lantern with remote ballast. They were blown off by wind in a village and i happened to be visiting there later, it looks like nobody there really cared to pick them up

- Gaash/2000 4300 & 4400 fluorescents, which are the GEC Europa fluorescent lantern made by Gaash. They were installed in an office building, at some point converted to LED tubes, and thrown away shortly later when the LED tubes started failing and losing connection with the spring loaded sockets (those pathetic LED tubes could barely manage good connection even with twist-lock sockets). Surprisingly the owners kept the LED tubes and threw out only the lanterns

- Gaash Barak II emergency lantern from the late 80s (with the preheating emergency ballast). 2 x 8W T5 lamps. It was installed in the home of friends and they let me take it down when they moved

- Lithonia VR4CV & other very similar lanterns (probably from another manufacturer) (i think initially all were the other ones, and the Lithonias an early replacement), from early 2000s. They were running 100W Pulse Start MH lamps (the other manufacturer) and 125W mercury (Lithonia), but i found them gutted of any gear excepty one of the Mercury ones, and with slightly broken bowls from when they were taken down (most are usable though). They all used to light an underpass under a bridge near the entrance to my college, and were replaced with LED lanterns

- AEG Minikoffer from the late 80s, with 125W mercury lamps. they were installed in a footpath not far from the same bridge, adn replaced with LED lanterns at about the same time. I found them with smashed bowls, but like a charm i had spare bowls that i saved few years before from AEG minikoffers from which i could only save the bowls (that ones were thrown in the skip complete with poles, and i had no tools to free them from the poles with me, so i only took the bowls and the lamps)

- Lighting Co Afula HPS floodlight from 1995, with 150W gear, where the ignitor was burned (and quite noticably at that - a burned through hole in the side of the plastic casing, with a very fried resistor showing inside). It was installed on an industrial warehouse, and replaced with a Gaash Zohar, probably due to the gear failure. I fitted 400W MH gear in the meanwhile, but will likely convert it to something lower wattage maybe 250W

- Steinitz HPS floodlights from the 70s, with 250W gear. They were installed in a parking lot of a big shopping center in a big city, and taken down when they were standing in the way for building a bridge. Some others like them (that were to the side of the bridge) are still there

- Thorn EMI 2D lamps, see below

Wanted for long :

- AEG posttop from the 90s with 150W HPS lamp. Was thrown out when replaced with an E27 posttop running a LED lamp. It is smashed a bit (that the one i asked about what glue to use for PMMA)

- Certain Gaash stuff....

Lots :

- All the finds from the renovating library, including 50 fluorescent lanterns, 80 CFL recessed cans, 24 HID recessed cans (more like remains of), 2 exit signs and other stuff. That include the Gaash 2800 after which i have been looking for a while

- 22 Thorn EMI Club 2D lanterns (some without bowls though), few complete with original Thorn EMI 38W 2D lamps from about 1990, and few of tehm with the lamps unused - due to bad connection between the lamp and lantern, the lamps were laying loose in the bowl and not connected to the socket.... they were installed in the entrance to the library in my college, and replaced with Gaash Hermon 2x11W magnetic PL lanterns

Oldest NOS :

- The Thorn EMI 2D lamps from ~1990

- Gaash emergency bulkhead from 1996, bought new few months ago

- Gash emergency fluorescent strip from 1999, bought new few months ago

- Eltam Mini 40N 20W chokes from 1988 and 1991, bought a year ago
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best scores? « Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 01:45:40 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I also forgot about the champion lamps that costed $20 ish.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best scores? « Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 08:21:05 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Hmm let's see...
-175w mercury yardlight
-dozens of (vintage or unusual) F40 lamps
-many full-power RS ballasts (Old Advanced and Universals mostly and one GE Bonusline, sometimes attached to vintage fixtures)
-Lots of 2' preheat and trigger start fixtures
-Five 8' slimline fixtures as of now
-Lots of interesting/vintage/unusual general-service incandescent lamps
-NOS 400w Philips MH

And lots more...too much to list LOL.
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best scores? « Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 09:25:48 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I also forgot about the ken rad, ITT, and lifeguard bulbs.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best scores? « Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 07:50:03 AM » Author: funkybulb
 Mine is finding a fitzegerald light pack LP40s in Texas
A UK florescent strip light With GE GB made 3500K white T12.

ITT model 25 from a late 1970s stripmall

Nama arms from the scrap yard

Daybright tandem 8 footer reflector using 4 x 40 watt lamps new in the box

A EOL Osram F40CW export lamp

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Best scores? « Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 02:08:54 PM » Author: nicksfans
The ones that come to mind are a 1941 GE Mazda 20W Daylight for $2 and 3 working antique incandescent lamps (one w/ carbon filament) plus a base with antique lampholders for $20.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best scores? « Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 02:28:06 PM » Author: Solanaceae
And "the thing" you scored was pretty lush, I wish I could find something lake that at habitat.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Best scores? « Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 02:30:03 PM » Author: nicksfans
That one was a bit expensive though. Still, the original ballasts work perfectly and the restoration cost almost nothing.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies