Author Topic: Super sketchy LED retrofit  (Read 4529 times)
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Super sketchy LED retrofit « on: June 24, 2015, 12:57:41 AM » Author: nicksfans
I don't think I've seen a more "ghetto" retrofit than this. Can't believe it's a commercial product!

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Super sketchy LED retrofit « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 01:44:00 AM » Author: Solanaceae
Uh. Wut.  ::)  ???

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Super sketchy LED retrofit « Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 08:31:46 PM » Author: toomanybulbs
i wonder how many of those leds got their domes trashed?
they are exposed and not much care was taken.
that fan will be the failure point even before the crappy min wah power supply dies.
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Super sketchy LED retrofit « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 12:37:51 AM » Author: BlueHalide
wow, that's terrible. Ive done my share of commercial retrofits, but nothing as jerry-rigged as this. A worm clamp around the halide lampholder to secure that piece of junk LED fitting was the cherry on top for me. Btw those exposed wire nut connections inside the reflector technically wouldn't be to code, and shouldn't pass if ever inspected. Whoever designs this stuff clearly puts no thought into it...garbage.

Also, that installer should've left the original lead on the fixture (unplugged) rather than just cutting it at the ballast box, that way, when that pathetic excuse for a 400w MH equivalent fails (which shouldn't be long), the technician can just remove said failed crap, reinstall MH lamp and plug the fixture back in without having to put a new lead on the MH ballast. I just hate it when I go to convert a formerly MH fixture back to MH from LED (what a concept) and the ballast is either missing or the leads clipped unusably short. Switching a MH, MV, or HPS fixture to LED is like removing the 5.6L V10 engine from a Dodge Viper, an installing a cheap 4-cylinder hybrid engine jut to save a few bucks on gas, makes no sense....
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Super sketchy LED retrofit « Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 12:58:05 AM » Author: tolivac
What a HORRIBLE device!!!Stick with the orig MH bulb.The shots of the fixtures with and without the conversion was misleading-you don't get a long enough look to see what is better.Since MH lamps last longer these days due to improvements in them-will stick with the MH lamps.The LED device like most other semiconductor devices-the life IS NOT guaranteed.You may have one that last 20 yrs or another that lasts only 2 weeks.Another failure point in these besides the fan is electrolytic caps in the driver power supply.Electrolytic caps are the most failure prone electrical-electronic components.Is that F-can like driver unit sealed?-if so can't be easily repaired-replacing those bad electrolytic caps.And with the device in a somewhat enclosed fixture don't think the fan will do much good in cooling the LED arrayThe heat from the LED array and the F-can driver will be radiated into the fixture.Atleast with the MH bulb and ballast-the ballast is OUTSIDE the optical..And if it needs a fan to cool it---not so efficient is it??Another "MisLED" thing like on the thread of "misLED" people and devices.Think LED technology needs more improvement!!And do these LED lights give that sickly blue color that makes people look like zombies?At least the MH bulbs gave better color reproduction-and you could choose the color you need thru phospors and MH salts in the arc tubes.
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: Super sketchy LED retrofit « Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 01:31:16 AM » Author: nicksfans
I know that sickly blue color you're talking about. Reminds me of this installation. It's still one of my least favorite lighting installations that I've seen in person.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Super sketchy LED retrofit « Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 01:38:02 AM » Author: Solanaceae
My idiot moron city replaced some lights at an intersection with LEDs. They are too small and look disproportionate with the pole. They don't put hardly any light out on the ground and are glare bombs. 

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

randacnam7321

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Super sketchy LED retrofit « Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 06:18:15 AM » Author: randacnam7321
B-b-b-b-but EFFICIENCY!!!11
Would have a couple of 1kW incandescent high bay lights if I had a warehouse like this out of pure spite.  At least the original guts of the fixture are intact so as to ease reversion to a proper lamp.
Any takers for exoplanet colonization?

Old school FTW!

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Super sketchy LED retrofit « Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 12:52:54 AM » Author: tolivac
Saggy flourescent LED tube replacement-how SICK looking-sagging bulbs just looks too stupid.Go back to the orig flourescent bulbs-PLEASE!!At the place where I work the LED flourscent conversion bulbs work-will see for just how long-some of the orig flourescent bulbs had been back there for YEARS!!!And vintage early 60's fixtures!Sadly in some of the orig fixtures that are still orig bulbs-they are replacing the old ballasts with new SS ones.
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: Super sketchy LED retrofit « Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 01:42:49 AM » Author: nicksfans
Are you going to try to save the old lamps and gear?

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

randacnam7321

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Super sketchy LED retrofit « Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 08:09:37 AM » Author: randacnam7321
And the idiot who installed this bloody thing did not take kindly to my constructive criticism on the original video.  Yay professionalism.

Old school FTW!

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Super sketchy LED retrofit « Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 12:53:49 AM » Author: tolivac
At my workplace unlike the outdoor mercury lights-the old bulbs and ballasts are gone.Went to the recyclers.The ballasts removed were replacements in the old fixtures anyway.Don't know how many of the orig ballasts survive.I am more into HID lights than flourescent.-but like flourescent better than incandescent and LED.The conversions have stopped for now.Think they are going to see how the LED bulbs work out.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Super sketchy LED retrofit « Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 05:53:05 AM » Author: Ash
Pathetic
randacnam7321

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Super sketchy LED retrofit « Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 09:27:20 AM » Author: randacnam7321
The guy in the video sounds like one of those fools that thinks that he knows everything just because he has been doing this for some integer n years and that any critics are incompetents who can be scared off with some badmouthing.  And because he is a profeshunull with various meaningless certifications.  Never mind that I have seen many and heard of many more quite scary examples of hackmongery done by such profeshunullz.

Old school FTW!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Super sketchy LED retrofit « Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 09:47:06 AM » Author: dor123
I've noticed that retrofitting discharge lamp fixture (Fluorescent, HID), with LED, often causes an irreparable damage to the fixture, and often result in its distruction.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies