Author Topic: MH lamp on HPS ballast  (Read 1200 times)
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
MH lamp on HPS ballast « on: June 25, 2015, 12:26:00 PM » Author: Solanaceae
My last 100 watt high pressure sodium lamp started cycling on me and it ended up leaking yesterday.  Could I replace it with a 100w PSMH lamp and use it successfully? Thanks.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: MH lamp on HPS ballast « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 12:39:32 PM » Author: dor123
Since you are lives in the US, you must use only metal halide lamps that are rated for HPS ballasts.
Regular pulse start MH lamps, requires their own ballast + ignitors.
Here, most MH lamps (Except probe-start MH lamps and several models such as the Osram HQI-BT/D) can be operated on HPS gear.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH lamp on HPS ballast « Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 01:12:01 PM » Author: Ash
In the US, some HPS lamps are made as very low arc voltage - 50..60 V in order to make them work on a choke, but the MH are not, they have high arc voltages on the order of 100V..150V

So if your HPS is a normal low voltage US HPS the answer is no

If (for whatever reason) the HPS is high voltage (the type that is normal for us here) you can use Pulse Start MH

Have to mention, i am confused when you write "PSMH". It is still not clear if you are talking about Probe or Pulse
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: MH lamp on HPS ballast « Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 01:33:39 PM » Author: Solanaceae
"A label with a PS before the MH (i.e. 17 PSMH) on a MH sticker indicates that the fixture utilizes the newer pulse start technology, which use different lamps than the older probe start technology."

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH lamp on HPS ballast « Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 01:20:42 AM » Author: Medved
The 100W HPS is about 60V arc, so you practically can not use anything else there.
I'm not sure about possible MH retrofits for this power level, the available 10V as the OCV is just too low for any MH.

The MH retrofits to work on HPS ballasts do exist, but for the 250W and higher power, but those are higher arc voltage lamps (150V or so).
The 150W S56 is directly compatible with "standard" 150W pulse start MH, maybe only needs higher voltage ignitor.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies