Author Topic: CFL lamps instant start  (Read 8240 times)
dp
CFL lamps instant start « on: November 15, 2007, 04:23:01 PM » Author: dp
I have some CFLs in my collection, ie Philips Genie 11w, which when power is applied, gives off light immediately. Is this what is known as a cold start for the CFL lamp which causes more damage to the electrodes?

I also recently bought a new CFL from Asdas, a 20w GE BC Spiral CFL, this does the same thing when turned on. Pictures to come soon when I get my good digital camera back.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: CFL lamps instant start « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 05:02:38 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
I have some CFLs in my collection, ie Philips Genie 11w, which when power is applied, gives off light immediately. Is this what is known as a cold start for the CFL lamp which causes more damage to the electrodes?

I also recently bought a new CFL from Asdas, a 20w GE BC Spiral CFL, this does the same thing when turned on. Pictures to come soon when I get my good digital camera back.

I actually found instant start CFL lasted longer than the slower start ones, the oldest Sprials I have are instant start!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

dp
Re: CFL lamps instant start « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 05:50:04 PM » Author: dp

I actually found instant start CFL lasted longer than the slower start ones, the oldest Sprials I have are instant start!

Yes each starting methods have their advantage - I like it how it starts up straight away, and doesn't take a second or two as it is indeed instant.
J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL lamps instant start « Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 09:18:31 AM » Author: J-Frog
It depends on how the CFL is used.  The instant start ones do well in places where the light will be on for a while, like a porch light that runs all night.  The programmed start ones do well in places like a bathroom where the lights are switched on and off a lot.

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: CFL lamps instant start « Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 10:32:15 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
It depends on how the CFL is used.  The instant start ones do well in places where the light will be on for a while, like a porch light that runs all night.  The programmed start ones do well in places like a bathroom where the lights are switched on and off a lot.

uh Jeremiah, don't you remember how I explained and showed you my stuff, I tried those Sylvania "rapid start" CFL and other "rapid start CFL" (plus other deaf people I talked to told me about this too) on my alarm clock flasher and it kills them in a week, but since then, I started using instant start ones, and they still flash on me after 6 years! The programmed start don't do well since it takes too long to start them and is too late....

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL lamps instant start « Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 06:49:07 PM » Author: J-Frog
Hey Jace, yes I do remember that, I did fail to mention the rapid start ones, those do indeed wear out faster than the instant start ones because the electrodes are kept in a cold cathode state too long as evidenced by the endglow being purple around the electrodes.

Yes, instant start is best in a deaf flasher because program start takes too long in that application and sometimes the lamp never lights up.

My previous post was referring to general use for a CFL, not a special case like a deaf flasher.  For general, 1 being best 3 worst, 1. Programmed 2. Instant 3. Rapid.  In a deaf flasher the instant start is the best choice.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 06:57:04 PM by J-Frog » Logged

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

Mr. Big
Re: CFL lamps instant start « Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 12:13:27 AM » Author: Mr. Big

I know this is kind of an old topic, but one of my CFLs (now dead) went from instant start to rapid start ??? I honestly don't know what happened there! does anyone else
sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL lamps instant start « Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 02:15:38 PM » Author: sparkie
I have had this happen too. It is probably due to the electrodes depleting to the point that they cannot instant-start anymore, so they do a rapid-start behaviour of lighting up dim with purple and brightening quickly.

As for instant-start, it seems that a lot of lamps made today use this starting method as it is more acceptable to the general lighting users who switch from incandescent and are too impatient to wait 2 seconds when switching on lights!

Of the lamps I have, all of the 11, 9 and 8 watt ones do instant or rapid start. But I do have some higher powered ones which are programmed start including a 20w GE spiral and (my favourite) a 12w Osram pear shaped lamp.
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: CFL lamps instant start « Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 02:53:50 PM » Author: lightman64
rapid start is my favorite; they look cool when they come on. sadly, sylvania started using instant start ballasts in their cfls. the only way you can get a rapid start is if you use the light bulb base up. (which i do all the time!)

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL lamps instant start « Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 01:24:16 PM » Author: lightman64
sylvania makes "instant - on" CFls , supposedly new technolgy but they work the same as regular- still have to warm up. http://ecom.mysylvania.com/sylvaniab2c/b2c/z_login.do         this is a link to what the new instant on bulbs look like

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: CFL lamps instant start « Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 01:30:23 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
rapid start is my favorite; they look cool when they come on. sadly, sylvania started using instant start ballasts in their cfls. the only way you can get a rapid start is if you use the light bulb base up. (which i do all the time!)

Be careful, Dave the Silverliner told me most of the CFL fires has seemed to happen with the CFL that has been installed base up!

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL lamps instant start « Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 01:47:55 PM » Author: lightman64
most of the lighting in my house is open recessed lighting. about 2 years ago, i went all cfl. it cut my bill about $70 - $120 dollars. they all seem to work ok ; different fixtures require differt cfls. here is a list of what i use.

Recessed Open Lighting- 13 watt Ge or N:Vision Spirals 2700K

Eyeball Recessed Open - 14 Watt N:Vision Enclosed Flood Spiral

Enclosed Recessed - 13 watt Ge or N:Vision Spirals also 2700K

Vent Fan Lights- 23 Watt Sylvania Sprials 3000K

Table Lamps -  23 Watt Sylvania, Ge or N:vision Spirals 2700K or 3000K (Depending on what looks best)

Misc- What works best!!    ;D

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 01:49:29 PM by lightman64 » Logged

Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL lamps instant start « Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 03:39:48 PM » Author: Mercury Man
I have a very old Commercial Electric 9 watt spiral bulb which no longer instant starts, it flickers for about five seconds before starting.  It used to be in my hallway and ran for about 3 years all day and all night (and now it is in my closet).  I keep thinking that it is going to die soon but it has been doing this now for a couple months and just keeps on lighting up!  And the ends are heavily blackened, but the darn thing just will not die!
Mr. Big
Re: CFL lamps instant start « Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 05:19:25 PM » Author: Mr. Big
@brian you want it to die? :o
Mr. Big
Re: CFL lamps instant start « Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 07:45:42 PM » Author: Mr. Big
Take pics or a video when it does die! I love watching CFLs die!  ;D
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies