Author Topic: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use?  (Read 6446 times)
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « on: July 08, 2015, 12:02:50 AM » Author: M250R201SA
When it comes to new replacements, what brand does your power company use?  Mine (Ameren Illinois) here in Southern Illinois uses General Electric. 

Depending on the previous luminaire that existed before the new replacement, It will be replaced with either
1) GE 201SA 100W HPS
2) GE M250R2 w/ Glass Lens (100w, or 250w) HPS
3) GE M400R3 w/ or w/o Glass Lens (400w) HPS or PSMH.  As of late, they have been installing these with the Red/White PSMH sticker and will use either bulb (HPS standard or PSMH by special request)

For flood light applications, where needed, they will use the GE PF-400 Powerflood Luminaire.  Much like the M400R3, as of mid-late 2014, they order these with the Red/White PSMH Sticker, and will use whichever lamp the customer requests.  HPS Standard, PSMH by request.

Since early 2008, Ameren Illinois also uses the DTL DP124-1.0-1704 Photoelectric Control (Brown Cover).  Before this model debuted, they used the DTL DE124-1.0-TJTL (Not sure if this model is still manufactured), and before that in the late 1990s until 2000, they used the Fisher Pierce 7760-MSS-TD

As far as bulbs go, up until recently, they used EYE SUNLUX brand bulbs for HPS applications.  for Mercury Vapor, they use Sylvania.  Before the Eye SUNLUX came, they used Sylvania for HPS as well.  Very recently, they changed, and I think they use Philips now.  They no longer order Mercury Vapor bulbs, and I believe they still have a small supply, but rarely do they re-lamp the MV fixtures, and will instead replace it with its HPS counterpart (MV Cobrahead will receive a HPS Cobrahead).

So, which brand does your power company use for each application (Fixture/Bulb/Photocontrol)?

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 12:58:30 AM » Author: Solanaceae
We generally have GE M250R2 that replace a failed Mercury vaper fixture (bad ballast; dead lamps are replaced thankfully) or downed pole. We also have GE M400R2&3 in both Mercury vapor and metal halide flavors.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 05:05:29 AM » Author: M250R201SA
Solanaceae,  your power company still installs MV, or are you saying there are M400s still active that are MV?

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 06:03:13 AM » Author: dor123
Here, the Israel Electric Corporation don't intervening with the street lighting at all. Only the local authorities, local councils and the regional councils (Where villtages, small settlments and kibbutzim located), deals with this.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 01:17:22 PM » Author: Solanaceae
They do both. If a concrete pole is fallen and the lantern is in good shape they'll haul it away and replace the pole with a Fiberglas pole with an HPS. The then removed lanterns are used elsewhere (security lighting) or put in their warehouse for the future.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 02:43:55 PM » Author: nicksfans
Here, Duke Energy installs American Electric fixtures, most recently the Autobahn line of LEDs. I'm not sure about the lamp or photocontrol brands they're currently using.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 10:53:44 PM » Author: M250R201SA
When I was growing up, I noticed that my local utility, Mississippi Power would always be using different brands.  In 1992, they put brand new poles up and one half of town had AEL 125s, and the other half had GE M400s.  Both utilities used Fisher Pierce 6662-ESS Photocontrols.  But as poles would fall down, or ballasts would go bad, instead of replacing the ballast or starter (which required troubleshooting and more man-hours) they replaced the fixture.  Today, those same poles have AEL 125s, GE M250s, GE M400s, Cooper OVX, etc.  Just a hodge-podge of lights.  Where I live now, Ameren Illinois tends to use exclusively GE products (M250 or M400)

Edit:  The 1/2 of the town with AEL 125s was serviced by Singing River Electric Power Association, a Co-op that got their power from Mississippi Power and used a member system, The other 1/2 was serviced directly by Mississippi Power themselves.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 12:12:54 AM by M250R201SA » Logged

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 03:12:34 AM » Author: Solanaceae
We have lots of ael 125 roadway lights and cooper ovxs. They will be replaced with HPS flavored GE m250s as they get knocked down or ballast failure. Normally, on busier roads, the copper ovx lights are mh flavored and looke almost like their Mercury vapor counterpart.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 04:23:47 PM » Author: M250R201SA
We have lots of ael 125 roadway lights and cooper ovxs. They will be replaced with HPS flavored GE m250s as they get knocked down or ballast failure. Normally, on busier roads, the copper ovx lights are mh flavored and looke almost like their Mercury vapor counterpart.

I like how you wrote "knocked down".  Does that happen a lot?  drunk drivers?

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 04:41:22 PM » Author: Solanaceae
It's a fairly common occurrence. The poles are hit by people going way too fast or sometimes snowplows hit poles in the winter (we get that much snow). The concrete poles are also weak and flaking away after years of weather.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 06:12:39 PM » Author: M250R201SA
It's a fairly common occurrence. The poles are hit by people going way too fast or sometimes snowplows hit poles in the winter (we get that much snow). The concrete poles are also weak and flaking away after years of weather.

In the city I grew up in, We got 35 Brand New Poles in 1992 with American Electric 125s.  It was apparent that we either had a LOT of drunk drivers, some Hydroplaning, but they got knocked down a lot.  Each time one was knocked down, within 3-4 weeks, a new pole was put up, and would have GE M250R2, or Cooper OVX, and sometimes they would put brand new AEL 125s.  They started out with 1992 (a couple of 1991) Fisher Pierce 6662 or 6660 models, and up until 1997 were exclusive Fisher Pierce.  For a VERY VERY short time, they used Area Lighting Research 2160 NP3, and then back to Fisher Pierce until 2004, they used Sunswitch for a short time, until it was back to Fisher Pierce.  As of today, there are a hodge-podge of Cobra Heads, some have their original AEL 125s.  Different PE Controls, etc.  On the other side of town, Mississippi Power utilized GE M400R2 with the same Fisher Pierce, DTL, or Sunswitch controls.  As those got knocked over, they would also get the Hodge Podge treatment, although, they used M250R2 to replace most of the downed M400R2s. 

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 07:41:24 PM » Author: Solanaceae
We got new poles in the 90s on a major road. There are a considerable amount of new fiberglass poles. Of the original 0nes, a lot have their original durastars. On a street that intersects the road, there is a lone durastar under a locust tree. 

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 07:54:06 PM » Author: M250R201SA
We got new poles in the 90s on a major road. There are a considerable amount of new fiberglass poles. Of the original 0nes, a lot have their original durastars. On a street that intersects the road, there is a lone durastar under a locust tree. 
Would these be Durastar 2000s or 3000s?  (Not that it matters, just curious) and what Wattage?

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 08:19:04 PM » Author: Solanaceae
They are 3000s and are 250w but I have seen a few line 150w ones around older parts of town.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 04:09:04 AM » Author: M250R201SA
They are 3000s and are 250w but I have seen a few line 150w ones around older parts of town.

The few (i did a recount and counted 9, 5 which will soon be replaced) that are around my town are all 250 watt 3000s, 2-3 which do not reach their full intensity.  They are practically useless being FCO on a highway and reaching about 65-70% of their rated light output. 

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies