Author Topic: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use?  (Read 6616 times)
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 11:34:12 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Here, my city currently maintains whats left of their HPS cobras (100/150/250/400w)

I suspect they install Philips but whatever brand it is, they all seem to lose sodium within the first year and become mercury burners ( The lamps lose sodium and begin to turn white and then blue in a short time but they still start and run full brightness for many years ...as unintended mercury retrofits  ;)

Administrator #5

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 09:30:35 PM » Author: Silverliner
My utility, Southern California Edison, uses GE almost exclusively now but until the early 90s they installed a variety of fixtures including ITT/AEL, Westinghouse, Crouse-Hinds/Cooper, etc. They installed a few Coopers around 2002 though. These are the makes for HPS and MV fixtures, though they have very little MV left. For PSMH fixtures they use GE and Hubbell, and for LPS fixtures they use Spaulding Palomars. For LEDs they use GE Evolves and AEL Autobahns. For lamps, they have a mix but mostly Philips.

PG&E in northern and central California installs all three major makes in new installations (GE, AEL, Cooper) when it comes to HPS. For LED they use Crees. For past MV and HPS installations they used GE, Westinghouse, Line Materials/Mc Graw Edison, AEL, ITT, Crouse Hinds. PG&E does not have any MH and LPS in their system but some cities have them. For lamps PG&E uses mostly Sylvania.

SDG&E in the San Diego area has a mix of all three makes as far as HPS goes, and older MVs are GE, Westinghouse and Spaulding. For LPS they use Spaulding Palomars. Not sure what make of lamps they use. They don't offer LEDs yet.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 11:20:52 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Here, my city currently maintains whats left of their HPS cobras (100/150/250/400w)

I suspect they install Philips but whatever brand it is, they all seem to lose sodium within the first year and become mercury burners ( The lamps lose sodium and begin to turn white and then blue in a short time but they still start and run full brightness for many years ...as unintended mercury retrofits  ;)

Sounds like a cheap knock-off to me.  I've used Philips, Sylvania, & GE HPS and none have ever had that problem.  Also sounds like the Ballasts are tired. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:28:18 PM by RyanF40T12 » Logged

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 11:40:50 PM » Author: Silverliner
I've seen so many modern HID lamps made by GE, Sylvania, and Philips not last that long while 1980s lamps lasted 30 years. You must have used good batches. And I've seen new lamps last a while in old fixtures as well.

I suspect they install Philips but whatever brand it is, they all seem to lose sodium within the first year and become mercury burners ( The lamps lose sodium and begin to turn white and then blue in a short time but they still start and run full brightness for many years ...as unintended mercury retrofits  ;)

Sounds like a cheap knock-off to me.  I've used Philips, Sylvania, & GE HPS and none have ever had that problem.  Also sounds like the Ballasts are tired. 

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 03:01:41 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Yeah anywhere in my city, you'll see at least one HPS running full brightness with a mercury vapour colour, even on highways where 400w lamps are used.  I kinda like that feature, they still last for a decent amount of years usually. I'd like to find a sodium lamp that will burn like that

Administrator #5

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 08:54:25 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Yeah anywhere in my city, you'll see at least one HPS running full brightness with a mercury vapour colour, even on highways where 400w lamps are used.  I kinda like that feature, they still last for a decent amount of years usually. I'd like to find a sodium lamp that will burn like that

That is very strange.  I rarely see one of those out here. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 09:12:37 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Here is a picture I just took of one of those mercury coloured HPS lights which happens to be right in front of my house. These are 150w and this one has been burning this way for more than 2 years

Edit: Sorry for the rotated pic, the thread absolutely won't post it in the proper orientation...very frustrating!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:18:38 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #22 on: November 29, 2020, 05:29:03 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Eversource:
AEL (Used to be Cooper)

NHEC:
GE as they have been

Unitil:
Cooper (Used to be GE)

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #23 on: November 29, 2020, 05:32:30 PM » Author: joseph_125
For cities that still install HPS streetlights, AEL seems to be the most popular. That being said, the odd Cooper and GE will pop up from time to time.

I haven't been paying much attention to the models of LED streetlights so I can't really say which brand are they.
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #24 on: November 29, 2020, 06:53:12 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
For cities that still use HPS: Cooper (formerly GE)

LED: GE and AEL
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 08:18:08 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #25 on: November 29, 2020, 07:38:21 PM » Author: HPS_250
Same as fluorescent lover 40 for me, as we have the same utility.

HPS cities: Cooper (OVH and OVZ)
LED cities: GE (ERL1, ERLH)

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #26 on: November 29, 2020, 08:12:00 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
GE until about 2018, then mostly Cooper and some AEL.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #27 on: November 30, 2020, 07:35:43 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Over on this side of the pond it's the local councils that are responsible for installing and maintaining the street lights.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #28 on: November 30, 2020, 08:07:43 AM » Author: High Intensity
So here, it's mostly Leotek, except for a few areas where they have been using Cree fixtures for spot replacements or new installations.
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: What Brand does your Power (Utility) Company Use? « Reply #29 on: April 10, 2021, 03:50:48 AM » Author: Econolite03
My utility uses GE Evolves, I don’t like them.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies