Author Topic: NEMA head refractor  (Read 2188 times)
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

NEMA head refractor « on: July 30, 2015, 10:33:55 AM » Author: bucket175mv
Hi there.

Does the plastic refractor lense on a NEMA bucket light increase the lamp lumens output? If a NEMA  fixture is missing the refractor I would assume the light output will be lower.

Here is an example;
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: NEMA head refractor « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 03:36:19 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Is this the one you found in a dumpster? It looks like a Norelco judging by the shinier area where a tag would be and the smooth reflector. You can probably buy a new reflector on eBay if you do some digging or you could also order one through your city and then put the plastic on this old reflector. They generally have a metal band wrapping around the bottom lip of them but yours may have lost it so you might have to borrow it off the new bucket if you order one.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEMA head refractor « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 04:39:29 PM » Author: Ash
The refractor is not a lamp, it does not add Lm. in fact it even drops them down a bit as it is not perfectly transparent....

It does redistribute the light from the lamp in a better way, so with about the same (or marginally lower) Lm get them to where you want them most, and it drops down the amount of glare when looking at the lantern
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEMA head refractor « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 06:59:19 AM » Author: bucket175mv
Is this the one you found in a dumpster? It looks like a Norelco judging by the shinier area where a tag would be and the smooth reflector. You can probably buy a new reflector on eBay if you do some digging or you could also order one through your city and then put the plastic on this old reflector. They generally have a metal band wrapping around the bottom lip of them but yours may have lost it so you might have to borrow it off the new bucket if you order one.
The reflector is from the fixture I found at the dump but the rest of it is a Landmark 175w MV  that I converted to 100w MV using a 70w MH ballast.
Here is a pic of the NEMA head I found at the dump. Is that the ring your talking about?

I have thought about asking my local electrical utility company (Hydro One) for old fixtures,lamps and ballasts but not quite sure how to go about it lol.

Do you really think that my city could get one of these for me? Never thought about doing that before.

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: NEMA head refractor « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 09:08:49 AM » Author: M250R201SA
As for asking for old fixtures, I'd say ask the lineman for your utility next time you see him.  The worst that could happen is he say no.  The city generally doesn't get involved in that decision process.  I always ask the lineman when I see him, and he will either say yes or no.

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEMA head refractor « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 09:52:38 AM » Author: bucket175mv
As for asking for old fixtures, I'd say ask the lineman for your utility next time you see him.  The worst that could happen is he say no.  The city generally doesn't get involved in that decision process.  I always ask the lineman when I see him, and he will either say yes or no.
Ok sounds like a good plan. Is your avitar pic those  Hearshy Kisses streetlights that are in the town of Hearshy Pennsylvania?
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: NEMA head refractor « Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 12:55:47 AM » Author: M250R201SA
Ok sounds like a good plan. Is your avitar pic those  Hearshy Kisses streetlights that are in the town of Hearshy Pennsylvania?
They sure are!!  ;D

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: NEMA head refractor « Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 12:58:51 AM » Author: M250R201SA

When I first met Bill (Our lineman), he gave me 3 old MV fixtures.  I didn't have any method of cleaning or restoring them, so I sent them to Joe Maurath Jr.  He said he would either keep them or find other collectors for ones he already had.  Recently though, he told me that he is not allowed to give me any old fixtures.  It may be a liability issue, or an inventory issue.  It's not that he didn't want to, but the decision was out of his hands.  Other companies may have different policies though. 

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEMA head refractor « Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 01:51:49 AM » Author: Ash
Then your next bet is to go and buy it from the council's warehouse. Worked for me once - with them filling out an invoice and everything as they like to do
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEMA head refractor « Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 07:43:34 AM » Author: bucket175mv
They sure are!!  ;D
Hey thats cool. I remember seeing them way back in the early 1990's when I was a kid on a family vacation. Are they  :hps:?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies