Author Topic: Exposed MV lamp  (Read 1547 times)
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Exposed MV lamp « on: July 31, 2015, 07:09:02 AM » Author: bucket175mv
Hi there.

If I were to run a NEMA MV light fixture without having the plastic refractor in place, would it be risky to the bulbs life? I'm thinking rain water, sleet and snow might cause the bulb to crack or something stupid. I know that this missing refractor is somewhat common on old bucket lights and the lamps seem to last.

Thanks.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Exposed MV lamp « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:22:04 AM » Author: Ash
There are lamps made with outer bulb of hard glass, which can take minor "offenses" to an extent (but still not too much), and soft glass which will most likely shatter
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: Exposed MV lamp « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 07:46:00 AM » Author: M250R201SA
I ran a 100W  :hps: lamp without a refractor for almost a year and it didn't seem to be a problem.  I have since found and replaced with a new refractor though, however, there is no apparent damage from when I was using it without it.  Also, I've seen a few Bucket fixtures around town that don't have a refractor (It fell off), and one of those is a 175 watt  :mv:.  It is still operating to this day...err..night.  ;)

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Exposed MV lamp « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:02:20 AM » Author: bucket175mv
Ok so it sounds like I should be ok then. I would hate to ruin my vintage Westie BT-25 100w MV lamp! I kinda like the look if a NEMA bucket fixture when the refractor has gone MIA lol.

I'm currently working on making a custom ballast/socket mount bracket that places the socket deeper in the fixture head itself so the exposed bulb dosen't stick out so much.

Will post pics when done.
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: Exposed MV lamp « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 08:56:25 AM » Author: M250R201SA
Ok so it sounds like I should be ok then. I would hate to ruin my vintage Westie BT-25 100w MV lamp! I kinda like the look if a NEMA bucket fixture when the refractor has gone MIA lol.

I'm currently working on making a custom ballast/socket mount bracket that places the socket deeper in the fixture head itself so the exposed bulb dosen't stick out so much.

Will post pics when done.

I'll put it another way.  Out of all the HID Mercs I've seen, as well as HPS that have been exposed to the elements (some dayburners even while it rains), I've yet to find one that caused damage to the bulb.  Now, the Post-top luminaires are a different story.  All it takes is for the ballast or ignitor (HPS Case for the ignitor) to drown, and it's burnt.  In the town I grew up in, We had a Lineman come out in his truck, and spent 30 minutes replacing the ballast with another used ballast instead of replacing the whole fixture.  Another case, the PE Control socket was damaged, and he didn't have any spares, so he started muttering that he was going to have to drive 15 miles back to the shop, and 15 miles back "for a damn socket", so I went 2 streets down to my house, and brought him a used hood that I found.  Needless to say, he was grateful.  Both cases were post-top lights, American Electric/T&B Contempo 245 models.  This was a lineman who believed in repairing what was broken instead of just putting new fixtures everywhere, when the only problem was a ballast or ignitor gone bad.  Now when it came to Mercs, he yanked the ballasts out, and put a 100W HPS kit in an old fixture.  This was a man who spent time fixing a light as opposed to replacing.  Before I moved, he gave me a present, a brand-new Contempo 245 100W HPS.  I no longer have it, and wish I had kept it, but I needed money to keep my own lights on, so I had to sell it.

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Exposed MV lamp « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 09:19:39 AM » Author: Ash
Kudos to the lineman

The leaking lanterns go pyrotechnical sometimes, but from what i seen the problem is more common with modern posttops. The old ones are so un-waterproofed that the water can easily go out as well as it gets in, so it does not fill up in the lantern
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Exposed MV lamp « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 10:07:18 AM » Author: bucket175mv
Sounds good and thanks guys. I need to start making some friends with the local electric utilities linemen. Seems like the best source for old fixtures, ballasts and bulbs.

I always wonder how many MV fixtures and lamps I could have saved in the years gone by. I also wonder if there is any  :mv: cobrahead style streetlights still in use in my city?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies