Author Topic: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA  (Read 11504 times)
Lumalux

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex's World of Christmas Lights!

Re: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA « Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 05:39:13 PM » Author: Lumalux
CFLs are great for indoor applications where the bulb is not visible.  I have seen some very good warm CFLs that I could not distinguish from incandescent until I saw the bulb.  However, they are not suitable for fixtures where the bulb itself is part of the design, i.e., candelabra base flame bulbs in chandeliers and lanterns.  CFLs cannot duplicate the warmth of a glowing incandescent filament.  Some people don't understand this part of lighting design or just don't care and they think they can put a CFL in every application.

CFLs also are unsuitable for PAR-type applications where a focused beam is needed.

I really like some of the tinted incandescents, like Soft Pink and the neodymium lamps (Reveal and especially the Philips clear Natural Light halogens).  I continue to use these lamps in my home because of the quality of light, albeit at an expense of higher energy use and heat generation than CFLs.

To me, fluorescent light seems "hollow".  There is a certain warmth and familiarity to incandescent light.  It probably has something to do with millions of years of evolution and humans being drawn to fire.

Just my two cents.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA « Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 03:53:06 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Yes CFL seems so dull looking! Incandescent makes better quality lighting.....

Now think, someone could put a CFL in a microwave oven or an oven, or in anyplace that would not be a good idea! man......

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Re: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA « Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 07:20:35 PM » Author: fran4001
Well put Lumalux! Incandescent still rules in my home and will continue to. It's just "right", and what I was born into. The only CFL I run is in my nightlight in the living room, a Philips SLS14 on a timer. My reading lights are 150w Halogenas and 50/150w 3-ways and my area light outside is a 100w mercury.
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA « Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 08:03:55 PM » Author: Foxtronix
I use CFLs in hard-access places, such as the decorative yard light in my backyard and the luminaire in my bedroom, which the globe is VERY hard to untie  :-\ for fun, I've put a Soft white and a Cool white CFL. funny to see!  ;D

Lumalux

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex's World of Christmas Lights!

Re: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA « Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 10:51:03 PM » Author: Lumalux
I went back and read this thread again and want to add more to the discussion.

In many applications, I prefer a really inefficient incandescent (i.e., long life, CC-9 filament, 130 volt lamp).  The light is less white, but sometimes that is okay.  It creates a softer effect.  Some of the longer life white lamps produce light that is similar to a pink or ivory tinted lamp.

I recently purchased some Chinese Feit A19s which are the 130 volt 5,000 hour design.  At 120 volts they'll last around 14,000 hours -- much longer than most modern CFLs.  Although I am partial to US-made lamps, these are growing on me fast.  They have bright brass bases, well soldered leads, an interesting indelible imprint on the crown, and a decent fake frost finish (sorry, Dave, I know it tears you up, but these are almost soft white quality).  They are, as expected, not very bright.  But since they are 130 volt bulbs, you could consider them energy savers (60 watts = 53 watts, and 100 watts = 90 watts).  I have some of the 60 and 100 watters in a couple table lamps.  I know they'll last forever, and I've always liked the CC-9 filaments for their durability.  The brass bases are great, too, unlike the crappy pitted aluminum bases used on the Chinese GE imposters and other Asian bulbs.  I am tempted to stock up on these because I know it won't be long before they're unavailable.  The GE 60 watt Garage Door Opener light is a nice lamp, too, for the same reasons although it is a 120 volt lamp.  I also like the 7C7 130 volt 3000 hour Christmas/nightlight lamps because they burn with a more flame-like glow and they are beautiful in my window candoliers (which I leave in the windows year 'round and leave on 24 hours a day).

I know the CFLs make sense from an energy use standpoint, but I just can't get used to their wacky spectral distribition.  Even the best ones just cannot match the warmth of an incandescent.  This is particularly important in residential use.  And what CFL can possibly compare to a US-made crystal clear A19 with a carefully wound and centered CC-9 filament?  These lamps are beautiful in their simplicity.  They provide instant light, require no expensive auxiliary equipment, and work faithfully in all temperatures.

If you enjoy incandescent lamps as much as I do, you should stock up on your favorites because I'm afraid the range of incandescent lamps is going to start shrinking very soon and very quickly.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 11:03:58 PM by Lumalux » Logged
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA « Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 11:52:57 PM » Author: icefoglights
I've seen the Chinese incandescents, like the no-names and fake Westys are really inefficient.  They are rated for use on 120 volts and last for 1000 hours, but are barely brighter than a quality big 3 40 watt bulb.  Those inefficient incandescents should be banned! ;)

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Mr. Big
Re: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA « Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 10:58:12 PM » Author: Mr. Big
I've seen the Chinese incandescents, like the no-names and fake Westys are really inefficient.  They are rated for use on 120 volts and last for 1000 hours, but are barely brighter than a quality big 3 40 watt bulb.  Those inefficient incandescents should be banned! ;)

Why do you want them banned? I don't like CFLs at all!
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA « Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 08:48:05 PM » Author: icefoglights
Those no-name Chinese incandescent lamps are far less efficient than a GE/Philips/Sylvania lamp of the same voltage/wattage and life rating.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA « Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 03:07:25 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
This has everything you need!!!

CFL fires responsible in MD

I found a ton of links in this webpage! Useful! Read em all!!!!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Alights

View Posts
View Gallery

USA (120V 60HZ)

Re: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA « Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 11:11:14 PM » Author: Alights
I use about 98% cfls in my house and i dont really care if incandescents get banned.  I do favor the rough service bulbs.
Mr. Big
Re: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA « Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 11:31:12 PM » Author: Mr. Big
Why do you not care if incandescent lamps get banned? some people can't even use CFLs due to medical reasons, I know a few people who can't, including my girlfriend!
KEDER

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA « Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 11:39:22 PM » Author: KEDER
They are making mroe efficient incandescents. dont worry. incandescents will never sie, (i hope...)
Mr. Big
Re: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA « Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 11:45:06 PM » Author: Mr. Big
I agree with you, hopefully they will never be banned, incandescent lamps are so much better then spirals!
bluelights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA « Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 09:11:39 AM » Author: bluelights
Mr. Big, what is that medical condition called?

ALL: Don't forget the halogen "retrofits" for incandescent lamps.

"The orange cloud looks like floating nuclear waste."
Save the mercury lamp

Mr. Big
Re: Inefficient incandescents officially banned in the USA « Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 12:10:31 PM » Author: Mr. Big
Mr. Big, what is that medical condition called?

ALL: Don't forget the halogen "retrofits" for incandescent lamps.

Check your PMs!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies