Author Topic: Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had  (Read 5835 times)
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had « on: September 16, 2015, 11:24:38 PM » Author: ace100w120v
As the title states, just post your silly, bizarre, or stupid ideas you've had. (Figured it'd fit with all the other random topics in this board).  I've been meaning to start this for awhile.

I'll start with some of mine.  I think some of them are pretty good.

-Surplus army truck ("Deuce and a half" 2.5 ton or 5-ton) as a daily driver/commuter car/possibly only vehicle, possibly on hour-plus each way commute. In the winter.  In Alaska.  In Fairbanks. 

-Living in some really bizarre places in the middle of nowhere (I won't bother listing the exact places though)

-Starting a non-commercial, all-music, no specific music format radio station to serve the town I live in of about 45 people.  Eventually increasing the signal to a 100,000 watt FM signal, that could be heard over much of the region, with the best possible FM stereo audio processing (How this could be afforded...don't ask, considering it'd be non-commercial)

-Starting a band

-Setting up a darkroom so I could do film photography

-Starting my own brand/company/vendor of lighting stuff (Fluorescent tubes, etc.)

-Ocean (boat)-based pizza/fast food takeout delivery service for commercial fishermen

A couple more involving surplus army trucks: 

-You know how when you rent a place you can't just build anything? You know how when you move around a lot seasonally it's hard to keep a garden or have chickens?  Take one or more of those surplus 5-ton army trucks, and stick a chicken coop or greenhouse in the back.  Problem solved! 

-Living in the back of one, with canvas cargo tarp, while in college.  Stick a little woodstove back there, etc.

Anyone else have any good ones?
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 11:31:26 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Let's see...

Living off the grid (who am I kidding, I can't go without my lights, the electricity to power them, and of course lg)

Building my own record player

Building a radio

Winding my own ballast

Of course that one childhood idea everyone has and they think it'll change the world. :P

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 11:36:58 PM » Author: Lumex120
Oh boy...

Living off grid with internet and aquediate solar and wind power, just so I can run my  :mv:'s and use LG. ;D

Trying to secretly keep goats in the city. ::)

Excessively overlighting the small chicken coop with 300+ watts of  :mv: and :circ: (Too late, already done it. :P)

Building a window A/C unit out of a cardboard box and car parts

building a house out of cardboard...

I have more, but I cant remember right now. So I hope that ansswers your question. ;D

Unofficial LG Discord

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 10:36:05 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Your guys' are great! I like this window A/C unit one!

Once, I found a NOS window A/C unit on Craigslist for 75 bucks and tried to buy it to make my walk-in pantry a walk-in cooler!

Living off grid...it's not all that hard once you get set up!
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had « Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 11:31:24 AM » Author: Solanaceae
@ace and Zarlog: I made an AC with a plastic coffee can, Ibe, a battery, and a cpu fan. Worked well actually.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had « Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 01:02:31 PM » Author: Lumex120
More:
-Building a "laptop" with a built in printer (stripped down Canon IP90, mini ITX, metal toolcase, LCD screen, should work... ::))

-Buying a used car amp at a garage sale just to blow speakers with (Too late...)

-Using an empty fish tank as a brooder for chicks (I actually did this, and it worked, until the chicks grew too large and had to be moved to a playpen)

-Building a spaceship out of a wardrobe box and butane torches (2nd grade idea :P)

Also, about the walk-in cooler, were you sucessfull?

@Keif, I built a small refridgerator out of a thermoelectric chip, heatsinks, fans, and a shipping box. Unfortunately, it didn't work that well, probably because I used Elmer's as thermal paste. :-\

Unofficial LG Discord

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had « Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 01:30:05 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I also tried the fridge with the peltier tiles, and I used gold thermal paste and it worked, until I reversed the polarity and fried the tiles. >:(
I also built a "paper" airplane out of roofing aluminum and industrial staples. Worked out until I accidentally broke it. ::)

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had « Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 08:10:34 PM » Author: ace100w120v
No, I never ended up buying the A/C.  Your guys' sound cool though...I like the "roofing airplane" one!

Another one: Modern art out of old plumbing fixtures.  Or building windchimes out of old plumbing stuff.

"Apple battery" that takes up a couple acres and is enough to power a sizeable load!
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had « Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 12:21:42 AM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I actually intend to accomplish this one...

-You know how when when you're really, really tired and all you want to do is lay in bed, but you really need to use the toilet? Put a toilet right next to the bed! Close enough to use the tank as a nightstand.

Others include, but not limited to...

-Having a huge house in Northern Wisconsin and the whole property lit with 400 or 1000 watt :mv: .
-I have moar, but it's so late I can't think of them.
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had « Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 12:48:40 AM » Author: tolivac
Blow speakers-just plug them into a wall outlet!!!CAREFUL,THOUGH!!!I would love to see a speaker blown from 4160V that we have at the transmitter plant!But too scared to try it!!!One time a freind of mine an me blew some speakers off the secondary winding of the mod transformer in a 5Kw RCA AM transmitter!One speaker burst into flames!Another played for a few minutes--hopping around--then POOF!!!The speakers were playing Hip-Hop music!!
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had « Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 11:35:17 PM » Author: ace100w120v
That's a great idea, Dave! 
ToliVac...actual hip-hop or the electrical arcing just sounding like it?

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had « Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 12:56:15 AM » Author: tolivac
Yes,the speakers were playing hip-hop music-the transmitter was an auxillary to a main one.The stations format was urban contemporary music.Good for blowing speakers-the output of that mod transformer would be like over 2.5Kw of audio.Use to modulate the RF carrier of the transmitter.That modulator stage feeds to the RF power am and modulates it as Amplitude Modulation.The modulator has to put out half the carrier power in audio to modulate the RF carrier to 100%.Like the idea of a potty by a bed--but be careful what you flush-don't want an overflow in the bedroom!
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had « Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 09:42:44 AM » Author: Lumex120
-Building a spotlight with 1kw HPS and a metal trash can, then installing it in a wood frame and pointing it at the sky just to annoy DSA (hey, if you are gonna ban mercs because you think they cause "skyglow", HPS is a whole lot worse) :hps: ;D

Unofficial LG Discord

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had « Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 11:12:23 AM » Author: Ash
How about using some proper optics just in case ? Satellite TV dish lined with Aluminum foil, and lamp placed in the correct location would work much better
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Silly/Bizarre/Practically Impractical Ideas You've Had « Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 12:17:13 PM » Author: ace100w120v
I saw that done to a yardblaster in a photo online once. 

Another one: Trying to make a perpeutual energy source out of a wind turbine charging a 12v bank of batteries, running an inverter, with, among other household loads, a leaf blower spinning the wind turbine.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies