Author Topic: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M  (Read 19172 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #45 on: September 22, 2016, 10:52:39 PM » Author: wattMaster
Our neighbor's bucket light (which I suspect to be coated MV) lights a large area, but is soft and non-disturbing.
But beware of the coated MV bulbs that just diffuse the light, no actual phosphor.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Pj

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #46 on: September 22, 2016, 10:56:54 PM » Author: Pj
I would guess coated would give better illumination at a distance.

Really?  I would've thought the coated version would be reduced vs clear?  

Hmm.  I just might have to pick up a coated lamp to find out which one I like.  I might like the 'pink-white' lighting vs the 'green-white'.

"I know just enough to be dangerous."   :mv: ;D

Pj

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #47 on: September 28, 2016, 10:03:38 PM » Author: Pj
Everything has been working fine for days. 

I decided to remain with the clear lamp.  The bugs are happy, as some decided to 'stick' around - on the bulb.   ;D

The photocell unit is working great, maybe even better, as far as turning on a bit later and off a little sooner.  This is because the cell is pointing North, where it sees the sky, whereas before, the old unit was pointed South - looking into the darker trees nearby. 

Thanks everyone. 

- Pj

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #48 on: September 29, 2016, 06:37:13 PM » Author: wattMaster
We will have to see how long these modern photocells last.

Pj

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #49 on: September 29, 2016, 08:33:49 PM » Author: Pj
We will have to see how long these modern photocells last.

Versus what?

The old photo controller plastic cover was quite yellowed and brittle over time, so I suspect it was there for some years, I just don't know how long.  The building looks like it was built in the 1960s.  When was the security light was installed, I don't know, but the on/off switch near the door, inside, was bypassed... so some standard outdoor fixture was originally there. 

It's raining now.  The first test of rain falling on the new lamp while it's on.  Hope it don't BLOW!  ;D

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #50 on: September 29, 2016, 08:41:09 PM » Author: wattMaster
The modern "cheap" photocell/controllers seem to not be lasting long, compared to the "premium" commercial-grade ones.
And this seems to be a relatively modern bucket light.
I know of bucket lights with bare bulbs still working today, so yours should be OK.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:45:36 PM by wattMaster » Logged

Pj

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #51 on: October 06, 2016, 09:54:05 PM » Author: Pj
The modern "cheap" photocell/controllers seem to not be
lasting long, compared to the "premium" commercial-grade ones.

And this seems to be a relatively modern bucket light.

I know of bucket lights with bare bulbs still working
today, so yours should be OK.

Yeah, it made it through several days of rain so far.  I just didn't know if a new lamp would hold up to the rain like an old one.

Next, one day I just may take it down to see if I can adjust the socket so as to move the wire shadow off the yard.  :D

I was thinking if I could overlay some sort of 'magnifier' over the photocell if that would help it turn on a bit later and off a bit sooner. 

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #52 on: October 06, 2016, 09:56:23 PM » Author: wattMaster
The problem with the magnifier is that it will make the PC degrade faster.

Pj

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #53 on: October 06, 2016, 10:24:02 PM » Author: Pj
The problem with the magnifier is that it will make the PC degrade faster.

Oh?  Even though it's pointing North?

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #54 on: October 06, 2016, 10:33:27 PM » Author: wattMaster
PCs degrade because of the UV light, which is present in sunlight.
By putting a magnifier in front of it, you are increasing the brightness, but also making it degrade faster because of the higher UV.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:38:02 PM by wattMaster » Logged

Pj

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #55 on: October 06, 2016, 11:07:00 PM » Author: Pj
PCs degrade because of the UV light, which is present in sunlight.

By putting a magnifier in front of it, you are increasing the
brightness, but also making it degrade faster because of the higher UV.

How about something that's anti-UV? If something like that exists.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #56 on: October 11, 2016, 09:56:35 AM » Author: Lumex120

How about something that's anti-UV? If something like that exists.

I have never understood why they can't make glass photocells... those would never be affected by UV.

Unofficial LG Discord

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #57 on: October 11, 2016, 11:47:36 AM » Author: Ash
If the cell is openable you can probably tweak either the mechanic (move the tripping point of the contact, maybe there is a setting screw for that) or the electrics (lower a little the resistor value so there is more current)

If no try to put a bright "cube" in front of the cell window at some distance in front of it :

N
^
|          /\
|       /     \
|       \     /
|         \/

(__) cell

So in dawn and dusk the cell window sees not the darkening sky but the side wall of the cube illuminated in the sunlight
Pj

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #58 on: October 11, 2016, 01:54:57 PM » Author: Pj
If the cell is openable, you can probably tweak either the
mechanic (move the tripping point of the contact.

Maybe there is a setting screw for that) or the electrics
(lower a little the resistor value so there is more current)

If not, try to put a bright "cube" in front of the
cell window at some distance in front of it :

N
^
|          /\
|       /     \
|       \     /
|         \/

(__) cell

So in dawn and dusk, the cell window sees not the
darkening sky but the side wall of the cube
illuminated in the sunlight.   

I got some pics of the old controller: 

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #59 on: October 11, 2016, 02:10:58 PM » Author: Ash
There you go, use that screw to set the tripping point
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies