Author Topic: CFL explodes  (Read 7625 times)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
CFL explodes « on: November 04, 2015, 10:46:11 AM » Author: Lumex120
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti9WK-y1Thw
I don't see how this is possible. It is like there is thermite in the tube or something. Does anyone know what causes this?

Unofficial LG Discord

LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Re: CFL explodes « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 06:40:06 PM » Author: LampLover
I saw that video and the consensus is that it is fake

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL explodes « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 02:32:35 PM » Author: hannahs lights
Must be fake after all if the tubes broken then it shouldn't do anything apart from the heaters lighting up
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: CFL explodes « Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 05:46:17 AM » Author: dor123
I had several old chinese cheapee CFLs that fell to the floor and become broken during operation. In all of them, the electrodes glowed up, and after several seconds, they burned out. There were no explosion/fire at all.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL explodes « Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 10:29:28 AM » Author: Medved
If you fill the broken tubes by something easy to blow or so, you get that.
Notice one of the tube is way darker than the other - and "surprisingly" that one had "exploded"... :-D

No more selfballasted c***

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: CFL explodes « Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 07:33:13 PM » Author: icefoglights
Probably gun powder.  It flares like that when it's not compressed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:34:59 PM by icefoglights » Logged

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL explodes « Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 12:07:31 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Wow, interesting! I remember that video.  Scary/cool nonetheless though.

I've also inadvertently had CFLs break while on (lamp knocked over, etc) and the electrodes glowed for a bit before burning out but that was it...
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: CFL explodes « Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 05:58:26 PM » Author: CEB1993
That's crazy  :o  I can't believe I used to use bulbs that could literally have a meltdown in my house.  Looks like it expelled mercury vapors and the oxygen from outside made the tube burn up and melt.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: CFL explodes « Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 08:53:54 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
That's crazy  :o  I can't believe I used to use bulbs that could literally have a meltdown in my house.  Looks like it expelled mercury vapors and the oxygen from outside made the tube burn up and melt.
This cant happen, the tubes cathodes would simply glow, what I'll reckon he did was put gun powder in it, and thats why it reacted as it did.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL explodes « Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 02:56:03 AM » Author: Beta 5

Yes as mentioned above that video is a fake.
I have broken a few CFL's, and some PL lamps before, and all that happened when I powered them up was the electrodes oxidised and burnt out, the same as an incandescent or halogen lamp would if it's bulb was broken and the filament was exposed to the air and powered up.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: CFL explodes « Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 09:00:58 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Such a fake video.!!  ::)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

ScienceGuy722

View Posts
View Gallery

Halogens do be pretty.

Re: CFL explodes « Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 03:13:37 PM » Author: ScienceGuy722
CFL grow lights are perfectly safe, now smell that roasted mercury!

-SleestaksRule

LIGHT... MORE LIGHT

bryanrb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL explodes « Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 02:19:01 PM » Author: bryanrb
Notice that the center of the helical tube was busted out. Looks like he put some gun powder or some other flammable material in it. If it did not have anything added to it, the cathodes would simply glow and then burn out. No explosion. If it was an instant start, it wouldnt glow at all or ignite.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: CFL explodes « Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 03:43:14 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Exactly, if you light up a CFL that has had all the gasses escape then nothing will happen unless it has been tampered with.  ::)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies