Author Topic: Funny "coined" words/phrases  (Read 10111 times)
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Funny "coined" words/phrases « on: November 07, 2015, 12:08:43 AM » Author: ace100w120v
You know, those weird words or phrases you use to describe something, call something by, or have seen others coin...

Some of mine (Some by me, some not)

"Pulling/pulled/going to pull the trigger on a (): Buying surplus army trucks at government auctions
"Hippie glass": plastic/mylar sheeting for windows in unfinised rural cabins/homes
"Breast" (Well I actually use a non-G-rated word instead) lights" Those ubiquitous 2-lamp drum light fixtures with ribbed glass in hotel hallways, etc.
"Green Iron Disease" "OD Fever" etc...being an army truck hobbyist
"CFLunatic"
"HPSyndrome"
"LEDisease"
"Corkscrew Infestation" (CFLs being installed in vintage fixtures)
"Honey Bucket": a 5-gallon bucket in place of a flushing toilet in living situations that lack indoor pluming
I'm sure I can think of more...

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 12:29:39 AM » Author: Solanaceae
Oh yeah I started the HPSyndrome, LEDisease, CFLunatic thing lol. :)
Some ones I coined
Ghetto door: the door leading outside was a pile of crap until we replaced it so I came up with it and my dad loved it lol.
Dodecatrons: what sylvania should call their t12s.
DSW-X: DSW=DipSh*t (the) Wonder-; X= whatever is dumb to you in a given situation.
Example of that: my moron dog, aka DSWD, my sisters giblet head basketball coach, aka DSWC, etc.
crapacitor: those plastic capacitors that come from advance ballast kits.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:04:25 PM by Solanaceae » Logged

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 01:42:44 AM » Author: Ash
Coined by me :

Cyclodrome
Originally - Big empty parking lots, reminding of an airfield, lit by HPS where most of the lamps are cycling

Now - Any place lit by any HID lamps where most of the lamps are cycling

Meltlight
Originally - enclosed incandescent lantern made of plastic, that slowly deforms and discolors if used with the max rated lamp

Now - any enclosed lantern made of plastic (including ones that dont melt)

Laser in the eye
The glare from LED streetlights of the "lens panel" type

Pikachu
Getting a lightning attack from electrical components (generally when you are Poke'ing around with them)

Hair design
Getting a lightning attack from electrical components (generally when you are not Poke'ing but as a plain user, getting it from an appliance that got 240V on the enclosure)

PoE (Pikachu over Ethernet)
Getting a Pikachu / Hair design from an Ethernet cable, as result of the remote device (network cabinet) being energized
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 06:31:07 AM » Author: sol

"Honey Bucket": a 5-gallon bucket in place of a flushing toilet in living situations that lack indoor pluming

In my neck of the woods, we sometimes use the term "honey wagon" to refer to the vacuum septic cleaning truck. I believe one of the such truck owners at one time painted those words on his truck.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 06:55:44 PM » Author: rjluna2
I have a nickname for this type of bulb such as Philips 500W T3Q Halogen Lamps as the French fries light bulb.  It is due to the colour of the lighted bulb and really hot ;D

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 08:54:26 PM » Author: funkybulb
I came up with word Airbulb - it means lamp loss it seals and air leaked in.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 11:48:50 PM » Author: ace100w120v
One I've seen coined on LG here is "Philips Phailure"
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 10:54:13 AM » Author: Ash
LED appliance_name
Appliance that does not work at all or performs very poorly out of the box, especially if marketed as being "green". Example : LED battery drill, LED grass (plastic grass), LED computer PSU,

LED popcorn
Ebay corn LED lamps with series capacitor ballast, when the capacitor shorts out
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 02:55:25 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I thought of another one: craparound: another name for those cheep lithonia wraps from the 90s.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 03:24:39 PM » Author: Ash
I find it nonsensical to call any sort of 90s lighting crap.. Look at it vs what we have today
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 03:39:43 PM » Author: Solanaceae
The ones I got from habitat were bent from me carrying it to and from the car. They aren't soda can like today's fixtures but they aren't tanks like pre 80s lites.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 10:31:19 PM » Author: ace100w120v
A couple more:
YouTube Karyoke
Craigslist House-hunting (The latter coined by me)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 03:02:35 AM » Author: dor123
I have a term that I coined in the far past, for an area with a lot of cyclers: "Cycling mania" (Originally related to the past cyclers in Zebulun/Qiryat Frostig, when the postops did cycle as well).
"Cycling battle": If one or more cycling lantern, causing anothers to cycles when the former ones hot restrikes, or there is a relationship between the cyclers.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 04:52:11 PM » Author: Ash
Which would apply pretty well for the lighting of Kiryat Ata, from your posts it looks like they have no clue how to tighten screws on Neutrals...

Calling it a battle makes me think of it like

Koffer used restrike !

Sepale extinguished !
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 04:56:48 AM » Author: dor123
I first used the term "Cycling battle" for this single event , where a few Triangels near the playground and the minimarket of Qiryat Benjamin neighborhood, one with ES-PI 1000 (Which became a cycler some time later anyway) and the rest with regular superimposed ignitors, did correlated cycles, and this was repated until the Triangel with the ES-PI 1000, passed the 4th cycle mark and extingushed permanently, than the rest lanterns stopped to cycle and retured to normal operation.
The "Battle" that I described here , isn't of cycling.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies