Author Topic: Funny "coined" words/phrases  (Read 10101 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 09:56:27 AM » Author: CEB1993
I've heard of single ended halogen capsules in A19 bulbs being called "Christmas light capsules" since they're the same shape as the small bulbs in strands of Christmas lights.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #31 on: July 23, 2017, 01:08:53 PM » Author: dor123
"Temporary bizarre cycler" or simply "Temporary cycler": Any lantern that doing one or several cycles, than returns to normal operation, with a chinese Osram NAV(SON)-E 250W or 150W. I got an idea for another pharse for this: Stealth cyclers, as at EOL, these lamps looks like as if they operates correctly, but cycles during run-up then.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #32 on: July 23, 2017, 10:24:44 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Idk...

i said "Hows it goin'" at school one day and it sorta spread... not neccessarily something i "coined" ... but i spread a phrase

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #33 on: July 23, 2017, 10:53:33 PM » Author: CEB1993
There are all sorts of words/sayings that I use on a regular basis that I've heard from friends and family that are part of a Southern dialect.  People in most parts of South Carolina have many long-standing coined terms and sayings that are unique to our part of the country.  Here's just a few that I hear most often:

Britches-Pants
Supper-Dinner
Buggy-Shopping Cart
Y'all-You all
18-Wheeler-Tractor Trailer
Pocketbook-Purse
Coke-Any kind of soft drink
Hairpin-Tight turn in a road
Sweet Tea-Iced Tea
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:58:04 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #34 on: August 18, 2018, 03:55:17 AM » Author: dor123
I've coined a new term "Electronic decoration", for electronic control of an appliance, that is there, only for making the appliance looks high techish and don't provides any really extra usable functionality for the appliance, that the mechanical controller can't provide (For example LG and Samsung electronic refrigerators, and Strauss Water Tami 4 Touch and Electra Bar water coolers here.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 07:14:14 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Ria and myself have our own way of saying things to each other, so  a snack of something to eat with a drink was munch and slurp.  :)
However I sometimes get my words mixed up, so it has become slunch and murp.  :D

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #36 on: August 18, 2018, 07:15:02 AM » Author: Rommie
Ria and myself have our own way of saying things to each other, so  a snack of something to eat with a drink was munch and slurp.  :)
However I sometimes get my words mixed up, so it has become slunch and murp.  :D

Was that a hint..?  :D ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #37 on: August 18, 2018, 07:16:43 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Was that a hint..?  :D ;D
Would I do a thing like that.?  :P

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 12:12:28 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Lol I did not even know this thread existed.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 07:53:51 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Lol I did not even know this thread existed.
Idk...

i said "Hows it goin'" at school one day and it sorta spread... not neccessarily something i "coined" ... but i spread a phrase
Well you posted on it last year...  ???

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Funny "coined" words/phrases « Reply #40 on: August 29, 2018, 03:37:21 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I did? Well then I forgot.

~Owen

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies