Author Topic: Ni-MH battery help  (Read 1286 times)
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Ni-MH battery help « on: November 13, 2015, 10:09:12 AM » Author: Solanaceae
While cleaning at granny's I found a cool old camcorder and it came with batteries and a charger. Unfortunately, each battery will charge for six hours and then only hold 15 mins of power max. I opened one of them up and I found ten miniature cells (ill try to post a pic soon). The battery unit as a whole is rated for 6v at 1.8 amp hours. I was also a bit stumped on the battery arrangement. I am not sure is each battery cell is in series with each other (that's meaning .6v .18ah.). I also thought there could be two sets of five. Each set of five would be five 1.2v .18ah mini ni-MH cells in series and then the two units would be parallel for more current. I do not know where I'll find Ni-mh mini cells, and I was thinking lithium would substitute, but they must have different charging methods. I was looking into replacing the batteries in at least one battery pack so I can use the camcorder just for fun, since it's actually pretty high quality. Any halp would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Ni-MH battery help « Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 12:50:29 PM » Author: Lumex120
While cleaning at granny's I found a cool old camcorder and it came with batteries and a charger. Unfortunately, each battery will charge for six hours and then only hold 15 mins of power max. I opened one of them up and I found ten miniature cells (ill try to post a pic soon). The battery unit as a whole is rated for 6v at 1.8 amp hours. I was also a bit stumped on the battery arrangement. I am not sure is each battery cell is in series with each other (that's meaning .6v .18ah.). I also thought there could be two sets of five. Each set of five would be five 1.2v .18ah mini ni-MH cells in series and then the two units would be parallel for more current. I do not know where I'll find Ni-mh mini cells, and I was thinking lithium would substitute, but they must have different charging methods. I was looking into replacing the batteries in at least one battery pack so I can use the camcorder just for fun, since it's actually pretty high quality. Any halp would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)
First, what size do the cells look to be? They will most likely be AA. if you can post a picture, I might be able to help.

Unofficial LG Discord

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ni-MH battery help « Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 01:33:43 PM » Author: Solanaceae
They're shorter and fatter than AA batteries iirc. I will post a pic and try to see more info on the cells.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ni-MH battery help « Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 02:11:23 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Update: this is a 4/5a battery bank. I found a battery bank of five that adds up to 6v 2.2ah and costs $16. Is that a good deal? The old one was 6v 1.6ah.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ni-MH battery help « Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 06:24:23 PM » Author: Ash
The bigger Ah means longer run time, thats all. As long as battery chemistry is the same it will work ok with the charger. The load does not care for anything but voltage and voltage drop under load (which should be small for a new Ni MH battery) anyway...
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies