Author Topic: westinghouse street light parts  (Read 2394 times)
mpsatellite

View Posts
View Gallery

westinghouse street light parts « on: December 19, 2015, 05:11:06 PM » Author: mpsatellite
looking for a glass shade for a westinghouse street light completely round and flat on bottom. thanks
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: westinghouse street light parts « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 05:24:25 PM » Author: Solanaceae
looking for a glass shade for a westinghouse street light completely round and flat on bottom. thanks
ive seen closed bottomed NEMA buckets, but they were plastic. They made open ended glass NEMA buckets but idk if they're closed glass ones.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

mpsatellite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: westinghouse street light parts « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 06:43:45 PM » Author: mpsatellite
any idea where I could get one? I can't find one anywhere/even tried ebay but no luck. is there anyway to to definetly tell for sure if a westinghouse fixture (street light) is a mercury vapour or high pressure sodium by looking at the components inside? there is a ballast, a large 4 1/2- 5 inch capacitor and a  standard household base socket. any ideas how to tell?   
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: westinghouse street light parts « Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 07:13:27 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Like I said earlier, NEMA heads don't normally have CWA ballasts. It's likely that the previous owner retrofitted to HPS. It's highly unlikely that it was originally HPS. If you'd upload pics, that'd be great.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

mpsatellite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: westinghouse street light parts « Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 07:40:23 PM » Author: mpsatellite
what does CWA represent in relation to ballasts?
the fixture was previously owned and used by Nova Scotia Power. thanks for the info!
mpsatellite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: westinghouse street light parts « Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 07:41:40 PM » Author: mpsatellite
I'll try to post some pics.
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: westinghouse street light parts « Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 09:04:46 PM » Author: Solanaceae
what does CWA represent in relation to ballasts?
the fixture was previously owned and used by Nova Scotia Power. thanks for the info!
nema has HX ballast, which means high reactance. CWA ballasts use capacitors in series with the lamp output, and the cap is a lot of the ballasting impedance. I can explain that well, but someone else could. Also, caps aren't very tolerant of temps above 90 Celsius, so they'd have to be remotely mounted instead of in the head directly above the lamp. Also, NEMA heads don't normally have medium sockets. They should have mogul.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

mpsatellite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: westinghouse street light parts « Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 09:14:27 PM » Author: mpsatellite
thanks. I'd like to convert it back to mercury. any tips on where to find the parts?
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: westinghouse street light parts « Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 11:31:51 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I was actually in need of a NEMA MV ballast myself. I'll keep you posted if I find one.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: westinghouse street light parts « Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 06:32:59 AM » Author: sol
I don't think Nova Scotia Power used NEMA heads after the late 1970's. I also don't believe they used any in other than MV. I would guess 175 watts would have been the standard, but maybe some of 100 watts for smaller roads. From what I've seen, NEMA heads were a minority with them. Most installations of that era would have been Westinghouse Silverliner or equivalent, and ballast-in-arm units for individual customer rental. Some smaller streets used these , however.

All that being said, NEMA heads were (are) made in HPS so it's possible yours is one of a very few installed by NS Power. Another possibility is that it was converted to HPS by an employee, back in the day when they had time and staff to do such repairs at every office stockroom depot.

Like others have said, pictures are worth a thousand words. When we can see what you have, we'll be able to tell you with more confidence what you want to know.
mpsatellite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: westinghouse street light parts « Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 10:42:48 AM » Author: mpsatellite
thanks guys for all the info. yes please keep me posted if you find a nema mv ballast! thanks again guys
mpsatellite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: westinghouse street light parts « Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 10:45:09 AM » Author: mpsatellite
I took a bunch of pictures with a digital camera but I've never posted pics online, if I can figure out how I'll post them.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies