Author Topic: Can you still use mercury vapor lighting?  (Read 7292 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Can you still use mercury vapor lighting? « on: December 30, 2015, 03:09:03 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I was going to get a mercury vapor light on eBay, and can I use it for outside, for area lighting, or use different type of area lighting? Because, I still want to use them.  :mv:

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Can you still use mercury vapor lighting? « Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 03:27:45 PM » Author: Solanaceae
You can use them privately, but in 2008, the guvment banned manufacture of mv fixtures and probe MH. The commercial installation of probe MH and MV lites for street use is also forbidden sadly.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you still use mercury vapor lighting? « Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 04:49:11 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Is Regent Lighting considered still a Manufacture?

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Can you still use mercury vapor lighting? « Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 05:08:00 PM » Author: Lumex120
Is Regent Lighting considered still a Manufacture?
yes, they still make lights, but they were bought by Cooper.

Unofficial LG Discord

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you still use mercury vapor lighting? « Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 05:13:31 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Ok, but then should I use the clear bulbs or the phrospered bulbs, cause phosphered bulbs make it look like a metal hailde lamp.

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Can you still use mercury vapor lighting? « Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 05:19:17 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Depends on your preferences. Clear would look great with plants but DX coated would make better color rendering if you use it near a deck or patio.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Can you still use mercury vapor lighting? « Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 07:05:31 PM » Author: mdcastle
Not in my city (Bloomington, MN). They don't meet CRI and efficiency standards. In addition lights over 3000 lumens need to be full cutoff and no more than .5 fc at any neighbor's property line (sorry, yardblasters)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:12:54 PM by mdcastle » Logged
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you still use mercury vapor lighting? « Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 11:41:51 AM » Author: Ash
City set CRI and Efficiency standards for lighting on provate property ? You live in (...) China or something ?
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you still use mercury vapor lighting? « Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 07:33:58 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Wait, you mean about me?

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you still use mercury vapor lighting? « Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 02:14:36 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Wait, you mean about me?
I think Ash was responding to mdcastle.

But I have to agree with Ash that it would be complete waste of resource to enforce such regulation on private propertys. I dont think there is any will to do that unless you go way overboard and use something like 1kW MH flood on your small back yard. At that point, some upset neighbor may contact police etc.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you still use mercury vapor lighting? « Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 02:42:00 AM » Author: Ash
The CRI/efficacy requirements have nothing to do with protecting neighbor property from light spill
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Can you still use mercury vapor lighting? « Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 04:28:06 PM » Author: mdcastle
I sent an email to the city. They confirmed that the lighting code requirements, except for the minimum level, apply to both residential and commercial.
So basically LPS, HPS, and Mercury vapor have been banned for new installations in the city since 1996. Only the smallest one of each wattage (below 3000 lumens) would be allowable. My 70 watt HPS wallpack was installed in 1995 and so is grandfathered in.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you still use mercury vapor lighting? « Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 05:29:24 PM » Author: Ash
Aiming it to light inside your property and not spilling out - i understand

The rest - peeps in the Soviet Union did not have this sort of government involvement in what they do on their private property. They really have objection to you putting up a HPS parabolic (that have really little spill outside the desired area), yet no problem with a LED of similar output ?
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you still use mercury vapor lighting? « Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 02:28:23 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I sent an email to the city. They confirmed that the lighting code requirements, except for the minimum level, apply to both residential and commercial.
So basically LPS, HPS, and Mercury vapor have been banned for new installations in the city since 1996. Only the smallest one of each wattage (below 3000 lumens) would be allowable. My 70 watt HPS wallpack was installed in 1995 and so is grandfathered in.

Was there any penalty for breaking this code? I'm still skeptical about enforcement of this code in private propertys. Setting up a law or directive and enforcing one is two things. Law and directive books are full of articles that has never really been enforced or are not enforced anymore.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Can you still use mercury vapor lighting? « Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 09:39:24 AM » Author: mdcastle
In the US in most jurisdictions a building code violation is an "infraction", or something less than a crime, similar to a parking ticket. Normally what would happen is simply that you'd be ordered to correct it; but fines or even criminal charges would be possible if you repeatedly refused to do so. I get the idea that the lighting code is only really enforced on complaints or new construction; there's still mercury yardblasters in plain site on major streets. But city planning isn't going to say "hey, we're fine with your high pressure sodium light, just respect your neighbors"
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies