Author Topic: Anyone else into surplus military trucks?  (Read 7703 times)
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 12:17:36 AM » Author: icefoglights
I would suggest passing on it.  Seems like a lot of money for something that might need a fair amount of work right out of the gate.  I also would suggest not taking the plunge until you have a place to park, and work on it.  Campus parking might not mind so long as your parking pass is paid for and it fits in a spot your pass allows, but I think they also frown on immobile projects being parked in the lots, especially on plowing days.  Access to a second vehicle is always handy when you are working on a project vehicle.

A friend of mine lived on campus and he drove an F-350 crew cab long bed, which is only a little over 2 feet shorter and a foot and a half narrower.

Pay close attention to the tires.  Those large tires aren't cheap, and it takes 10 of them.  Having to buy new tires could easily run you a couple grand.

I was in the U.S Army Signal Corps from June 29,1968 to June 22,1971. Fond memories of having flats in those tactical tires. No machines to break the bead. Just a sledge hammer and chisel.If I never see another deuce and a half it would be too soon.
Gotta love them split rims!  No tire machine required.  Just lots of pounding and prying, and a good chain to wrap around it so you don't die when airing it back up.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 01:58:39 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Icefoglights, you familiar with these? You sure sound like you've spent some time around them!  Would be helpful to know some others in the area familiar with these trucks.

Taken under advisement.  It would not, repeat not, be parked on campus UNLESS it was being daily driven.  Having to park it here would be a deal breaker.  It'll be sitting for awhile for sure (Let's say easily six months) so a lot of the work could be put off.  I'm house hunting and have submitted a couple listings in North Pole to the executor of the family trust for review (trust would be the one buying property right now) and they both have ample yard/parking space, for something that would be sitting somewhat long term.  I'll try to talk them down to 3000 or even 2750, seems reasonable given my situation.  (If the seller doesn't just LAUGH at every aspect of my situation that is).  If anything, I'd have to get a storage lot, but I may be able to find some other way.  (Storage lot just sounds expensive). 

Did some number crunching and if I could talk them down substantially it might not be a BAD investment, I'd gladly sell it if somebody offered me, say, more than 5 grand.  Price it high and if it never sells I have a fun "project" and something to drive once I get licensed that I might actually survive a collision with a moose in, etc.  Can't wait to see the reactions from the DMV though. 

The original NDT tires suck anyway IMHO, eventually those are going away anyway.

As far as changing tires, a friend screwed up their hand BAD while fixing a flat on a skid steer trying to plow snow, in I wanna say Haines, AK. Maybe it was Juneau.  Doing the whole ratchet strap thing and BANG!  Needless to say, a trip to the emergency room and stitches and I think maybe some other things ensued. 

If nothing else, sitting and staring at the TMs (Technical Manuals) for 6 months to a year in spare time and being able to relate them to physical things on the truck is going to be helpful. 
Ugly1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 03:58:20 AM » Author: Ugly1
  It wasn't until the 1980's when the U.S. Military was required to be more safety oriented that they supplied and required the use of a tire cage when filling split rim tires. There had been fatalities and very serious injuries. A friend from Cuba had a story about this. He was filling a tire laying flat on the ground, split ring facing up. The ring blew straight up off the tire,hitting the tip of his nose ,which forced his head to whip upward giving him a neck injury. The ring continued to fly upward,going through a glass skylight. Although he wasn't a religious man,this event occured on a Good Friday, so he never again worked on that Holy Day.
 We had to fill out form 2404 every day,so I can recall that TM number in my sleep.TM 9-2320-209-10, isn't it?
 If anyone is interested in current military equipment,I'd suggest getting a subscription to" PS Magazine, The Preventive Maintenance monthly". This publication is in comic book form for military folks maintaining all types of equipment. It is used to inform them about problems and fixes that arise that are not listed in the current TM for that equipment. A little pricey at $45 a year, but I've always found it interesting. Stan Lee was among the original illustrators when it started.
It is available from the US Government Printing Office. I remember one amusing article stated that until an mwo was applied to a vehicle(I don't recall what type it was),it should not be used because there was a tendancy for the steering wheel to come off while being driven.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 02:23:17 PM » Author: ace100w120v
I don't have the TM numbers memorized yet, but I have the -10 operator's manual for the later, '80s-'90s, M939 series 5 ton trucks. (Are you also familiar with those?)  I'd consider getting one of those as well but in the meantime it serves as something to hold a a speaker a few inches off the carpet.  I see a lot of TM reading in my future though if I end up with the Deuce.

I've seen some of the old-issue PS magazines, they definitely have some 'Instruction manual humor'. 
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 02:36:34 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Well, planning on going to look at the darn thing this week! 
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 06:37:23 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Got driving directions so a friend and I can go look at it.  Talked to DMV and got some titling questions answered (First vehicle but just have a learner's permit but I'm over 18, my situation is unusual).
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 02:42:57 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Well, it sold before I was able to get ducks in a row, BUT, I found another one already.  Seems as though there's always one on Craigslist around here.  Of course I've already replied to the ad and told another Deuce familiar friend about it.  This one is a soft top and appears to literally have a tarp, that would need to change but could happen later on.  Asking price 4500 but I could see offering less.  It's been posted for almost a month so hopefully if it doesn't sell fast I can talk them down and possibly pull the proverbial trigger.  By January I should have a full license so I can get insurance, though rates might be through the roof.  Ya know, 18 y/o male driver with a Deuce as their first vehicle, I'm prepared to also be laughed at by insurance companies. 

Icefoglights, if you start seeing one driving around the Fairbanks area in a few months it may just very well be me.  I don't feel too out of place considering sort of daily driving the Deuce considering how many other vintage/antique cars and pickups appear to be daily driven in this town...I see them at Fred Meyer, on the university campus, collector cars are everywhere and appear to be people's daily drivers.  Probably helps that our roads aren't salted here!  That said, since I'm still living on campus, if I can park it here it won't get driven much anyway, and the buses are great.  It'd probably be for more like weekend excursions to Chena Hot Springs.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #22 on: October 11, 2016, 02:01:13 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Found out this one was none other than an earth boring truck, sorta rare!  Makes it an even neater find.  We'll see what happens.  Would like to be its next home if the stars align.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 01:26:47 PM » Author: ace100w120v
...And I may indeed be it's next owner.  I found this one on my local Craigslist about (I'd guess) a month and a half ago.  The ad had expired but I saw it reposted so I emailed them again...and this time I did hear back!

Originally, when I had found this one, I had showed my roommate (who daily drove the Deuce he had at the time in high school on alternative fuel, and had bought a military 5 ton as a 14 year old as the first vehicle he bought with his own money, which he still has) he did a double take and figured it was a pipeline truck or an earth boring truck, but definitely had some parts missing.  I did some research and asking around on some of the Deuce forums (like LG, there's forums for military vehicle collectors) and found out it was probably an M764, if not an M35 with the M764 stuff on it. 

After emailing back and forth with the seller, it turns out it's an M35.  Year is supposedly a '79.  Part of me thinks it may be older, especially considering how many rebuild programs these trucks went through, definitely want to verify the data plates match the frame!  Titling these can be enough of a hassle as it is, the VIN isn't the standard 17 digit number which can lead to hassles with the DMV.  (I've read some horror stories).  Needs a wheel cylinder, but still apparently the brakes lock up good.  I kind of expected that, Deuce brakes are kind of sketchy in general; single-circuit air-assist hydraulic brakes. Best advice someone gave me, as they were introducing me to driving a manual in one, "When you get one of these, immediately go through the BRAKES!"

Also needs the original exhaust put back on, it's one of those aluminum flap-lid things right now which just looks awful. 

And...it's a soft top.   More specifically, currently a tarp and a couple 2X4s!  That'll be a fun one, convertible!  In the winter.  In Alaska.  In Fairbanks. 

It probably wouldn't get driven much actually, I live on campus still and take the bus and often literally don't go even a mile from campus for weeks at a time.  More like warm-weather excursions to Chena Hot Springs, about (at Deuce speed, 45MPH in the right-hand lane) 1.5 hours from campus.  Ya know, top down, etc. 

Guy wants 4500, I'll try to talk down.  It does come with a new set of wheels and 12.00R20s, which adds some value for sure...which will replace those stock NDTs pretty quick.

After talking with someone I met in the math lab of all places, who as it turns out has FIVE of these things, and a few others, sounds like I could park it on campus actually.  (Icefoglights- it'd be in the lower lot across from the transfer station, or there's another place on upper campus near Museum of the North). 

So, I may be a Deuce owner by this spring, guy doesn't want to try to start it below zero.  We shall see. 
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 05:39:10 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Funny thing, I was also just reading a comment thread in one of the Deuce Facebook groups about who is the youngest Deuce owner, and there's actually quite a few 18 year olds in there, and there were even some 16 year olds.
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 09:59:16 PM » Author: icefoglights
Taku lot.  I know it well.  Not as much fun after they took out the rickety wooden staircase.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 11:54:53 PM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
Huh, I'm actually looking at a M1031 contact maintenance truck. Basically a Chevy K30 with a covered aluminum utility body and a PTO driven 12KW generator. It's more truck than I need, but I like it. The seller has the replacement fenders (typical Chevy rust) and dashboard (dried out plastic) and the truck is in fair shape for a 30 year old vehicle.

Good luck with your deuce, Ace! Last winter, I saw two of them (looked like the newer 80s - 90s models) plowing my street. It seems like those would make a perfect plow truck, being a 6x6.

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #27 on: November 17, 2016, 02:28:58 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Icefoglights: Wow, had no idea they had a terrifying staircase there before.  If you see a Deuce in that lot, it might be mine....

Thanks, DetroitTwoStroke!  The ones you saw may have been M939 series 5 tons actually.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 02:50:52 PM by ace100w120v » Logged
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #28 on: November 18, 2016, 07:03:07 PM » Author: ace100w120v
To add: I'm eventually going to get an M939 series 5 ton, it's decided. Might even sell  the Deuce after that...but wouldn't trade that 5 ton for the world.  I'd literally drive it daily, everywhere it would fit anyway.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #29 on: November 18, 2016, 11:50:59 PM » Author: ace100w120v
OK, update!

Won't be pulling the trigger until spring.  Seller doesn't want to try to start it with temps getting below zero, totally understandable.  It may still be for sale again this spring, and they'll be considering me if they do sell.  So, I may be one step closer to being a Deuce owner.  This spring I should be driving, and should have other ducks in a row. 

I'm also having ANOTHER bizarre idea.  I'm thinking about getting a M939 series 5 ton long bed version (M927).  Thinking about building a plywood and 2X4 box in the bed (8X20, roughly) and living in it!  Not quite totally an R/V, as it'd have no bathroom (don't want my fecal matter stored where I live) and probably not much of a kitchen.  But it'd be enough space for myself and other stuff considering I'm doing well in a 9X17 space shared with a roommate.  I've gotten used to no laundry in unit, bathroom not right here, eating elsewhere, and don't mind it.  Around here, it's common to not have running water in a dwelling (and the rent is therefore like 400/month!), it's a uniquely Fairbanks, Alaska thing but as a result no bathroom wouldn't be really considered unsanitary I don't think, at least up here. 

I'd think especially if I do graduate school it might be an affordable-ish living setup, and plus it'd be MOVABLE!

I've even thought of electrical system possibilities.  Probably wire with 120v like normal, and just plug into whatever power I can at first, or get a little Honda EU2000i generator...quiet and reliable and fuel efficient.  I'd also like to set up another alternator charging three 8D truck batteries (12v) and running a 2000w inverter, also with a charger in the same unit, to also charge the house bank from grid or generator power.  Those little Honda units are reliable generators, I've lived with one as my only source of electricity at several points in time.  (I've also had the experience of living with just that for electricity in addition to no running water, and at one point also no flushing toilet.  So this sort of thing is something I could live with.  Affordable housing, go to grad school, further my education, and have fun while at it. 

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies