Author Topic: Anyone else into surplus military trucks?  (Read 7704 times)
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « on: December 31, 2015, 02:22:34 PM » Author: ace100w120v
I am.  For about a year now, I've considered getting a surplus "Deuce and a Half" 6X6, 2-1/2 ton, Veitnam-era multifuel engine cargo truck, possibly as a daily driver or my first vehicle I own. 

I've decided I'll start with that, and then once I get a CDL (Required in Alaska for anything with air brakes) I plan on going for a newer, late '80s-early '90s 5-ton 6X6, with an 8.3L Cummins turbo diesel and automatic Allison transmission.  (Deuce and a half is a relatively large pain to drive, being a stick with an odd pattern and no power steering)

Anyone else?
mobilite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 04:26:59 AM » Author: mobilite
For 14 years now I own a 1990 chevy 1 ton 2wd crew cab, yellow, previously owned by the canadian military (cadc). I bought it with around 90,000 km (54,000 miles).great truck! 350 tbi, 400 auto trans. Easily carries my 500 gallon water tank.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 12:44:12 PM » Author: Medved
For 14 years now I own a 1990 chevy 1 ton 2wd crew cab, yellow, previously owned by the canadian military (cadc). I bought it with around 90,000 km (54,000 miles).great truck! 350 tbi, 400 auto trans. Easily carries my 500 gallon water tank.

500 gallon, so 2tons water tank on only 1ton vehicle?
Poor car, being so abused...

No more selfballasted c***

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 09:05:19 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Depends..if it's all on paved roads, that's not too bad.  When you get offroad, yeah, that might be overloaded.

I'm more into the old 6X6s...not really into other types of military vehicles.  But to each their own. 
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 11:14:20 PM » Author: icefoglights
I think daily driving a Deuce and a Half will get old fast.  Multi-fuel doesn't equal cheap fuel, especially in Alaska.  Diesel is currently about 2.64 per gallon, but had been as much as $4.65 per gallon.  At the current price, 3/4 of a tank would cost about $99, and be good for two round trips from Delta to town at around 11 MPG.  Using regular gasoline will currently only save you about $5.25 per fuel-up.  They also run with reduced performance and fuel economy on gasoline, and prolonged running on gasoline isn't good for the fuel pump and injectors.  It won't be easy to feed the thing on a student budget.

Driving such a large vehicle has its shortcomings.  At nearly 23 feet long, it won't be a picnic to handle in shopping center parking lots with "Armstrong" steering, and campus parking is even less forgiving.  The Richardson highway itself is mostly 2-lane with a speed limit of 65, and a vehicle governed at 55 won't make you popular on the highway.  In the winter, there are a variety of traction enhancing tires available for light vehicles, but medium/heavy tires aren't particularly good on ice.  The only traction aid available would be tire chains, dropping your max speed to a crawl while they're on.  Stops have to be planned, and sudden stops aren't really possible.

In the cab, being a military vehicle, comfort wasn't really a concern.  The seats aren't that comfortable, and will ensure you feel every bump and frost heave.  The cab is cold in the winter and hot in the summer.  Don't worry about a stereo.  You won't be able to hear it.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea to get one.  They are very cool and quite useful.  But if you do buy one, I think a second car as a "daily driver" would follow shortly.

Not long ago at work, we had to drive a Hino 268 to a small South Carolina town for the day, offloading supplies in the morning and taking them back in the evening.  Mid-day we left to find lunch and kill time.  It didn't take long to realize that the two of us riding together and not taking a chase car was a mistake.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 02:42:18 PM » Author: ace100w120v
I was thinking of mixing alternative fuels in during the summer months, but of course in Fairbanks winters that isn't feasible.  I'd only be driving between Delta and Fairbanks about one round trip per week.  I also plan to look into public transit; I imagine Delta is large enough to have a "Park and Ride" situation.  (I need to research for sure though). 

"Armstrong" steering.  Every time I see that term I laugh.  I've used it myself and have had some firsthand experience handling one.  It's not the easiest thing to steer for sure, but that is partly due to the fact I was helping keep a being-towed Deuce straight.  (Everyone's basic driver's ed should include steering/trying to roll-start a Deuce being towed around a flat parking area with a material handler; actual experience I had).  The clutch pedal can also be rather stiff..."Legstrong" (Oh, just coined another word/phrase!)

Yeah, they do ensure you feel every bump, frost heave, or pothole!  (I've been underway in one as recently as two weeks ago).  Especially on badly-graded dirt roads. I do wonder what the university parking authority will think? (Worst case scenario if they don't like it I'll get something else as my commuter vehicle that's small and easy on gas). 

Hino 268? What's that?

mobilite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 03:00:02 PM » Author: mobilite
There's a duce around my area, he takes it to car shows,  it's very popular & huge!
 I had a 87 gmc Canadian National railway hi-rail service crew cab previous,  it had a dozen leafs per side and 3 overload helper leaf springs above that, plus it had 8R19.5 tires, also the negative offset specific hi-rail rims to position the truck correctly on the track.  It just laughed at 500 gallons of water. These trucks were built to be abused and continuously overloaded, just ask anyone whos a track maintainer.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:06:41 PM by mobilite » Logged
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 12:17:07 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Same with a Deuce or 5 ton...they pretty much laugh at stuff like a 500 gallon water tank or a full load of firewood. 

Being a lighting enthusiast, I can see hauling a lot of 8ft lamps around with mine once I get one. 
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 01:43:17 PM » Author: icefoglights
I also plan to look into public transit; I imagine Delta is large enough to have a "Park and Ride" situation.  (I need to research for sure though).

Unfortunately there's no public transportation in Delta, or between Delta and Fairbanks.  There are buses in Fairbanks, but they're fairly limited, and no Park and Rides.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 05:35:16 PM » Author: ace100w120v
That's very good to know!  Sounds like a lot of driving in my future, then.

While in Fairbanks I'll probably take the bus though, just for errands around town during the week.  Or walk if it's less than a mile and above 0F LOL. 

I think the most annoying traffic situation in a Deuce will be the Richardson going through North Pole area...4 lanes but not a proper freeway, with all these uncontrolled accesses.  (I've looked at it all on Google Streetview).  Priuses pulling in from the other set of lanes cutting you off, etc.  Thoughts about other "ugly" spots in the area? 
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 09:38:07 PM » Author: ace100w120v
I should add I do already have some seat time in a Deuce.  My first time driving a stick shift was trying to help roll-start one in a flat parking lot by being towed around with a material handler.  (That was nerve-racking!). 

Icefoglights, you sound quire familiar with them!  Got any seat time? 
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 11:40:33 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Might have found one, a '68 in fairly decent shape...
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 03:07:44 PM » Author: ace100w120v
So I haven't bought one yet.  I think I'll go vehicle-less as long as I'm living on the university campus in the dorms but I may move off later.  I might add that my new soon-to-be-dorm-roommate daily drove his Deuce in high school (but not in Alaska, mind you) on alternative fuel.  So I'll have a good Deuce mentor for a roommate.  The '68 I looked at buying might have not had nearly as bad parking issues as at the campus since said roommate and I also looked at getting a house in Fairbanks and I would have been able to store it there.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 02:50:11 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Found a good deal on another in my area (Fairbanks, AK), a '68 in not great but decent shape.  They're asking 3500 but I might be able to talk them down.  My biggest issue is where to park it, though I am house hunting.  I just may bite, I also just so happen to be lucky in that my roommate daily drove his Deuce in high school at one point, so he's familiar with it.  He's offered to go look at it with me, so I may take him up on that. It'll sit for at least another 6 months before it really gets driven.

At the same time, there is the dilemma of "Should I?" I could probably JUST afford it at this point, not doing anything to it (not like it'll be driven every day for the immediate future, it is going to sit for sure).  Seems like a good deal and I feel stupid to pass it up but I also feel wary about jumping in headfirst, having hardly ANY mechanical experience to speak of LOL. 

In the future, I wonder what the university would think of me parking the thing on campus?

Ugly1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else into surplus military trucks? « Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 06:13:32 PM » Author: Ugly1
  I was in the U.S Army Signal Corps from June 29,1968 to June 22,1971. Fond memories of having flats in those tactical tires. No machines to break the bead. Just a sledge hammer and chisel.If I never see another deuce and a half it would be too soon.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies