Author Topic: Your air conditioner  (Read 13410 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Your air conditioner « on: February 14, 2016, 04:10:19 PM » Author: wattMaster
I was wondering what air conditioner you all have.
We have a 4 ton Rheem central air conditioner, And a supplemental Hisense 10,000 BTU portable air conditioner.

-Do you have a vintage air conditioner?
-Does it use old refrigerant?(R12, R22, etc)
-Do you have window air conditioners?
-Do you have a PTAC?

I have always found air conditioners very interesting, Even though they are power hogs.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Your air conditioner « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 05:47:16 PM » Author: Ash
Make : Tadiran
Model : Manhattan GX 250 split unit
Manufactured : Israel 1993
Power : 2500W input. COP around 2.6 (air conditioning) / 3.0 (heat pump)
Refrigerant : R-22

We have 2 of them installed (in our home and in grandparents home), both since 1993. they work hard in winters (in heat pump mode) and all i ever replaced in them was start/run capacitors. (and even there the originals did 15..20 years)

Indestructible 90s technology
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Your air conditioner « Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 09:52:08 PM » Author: wattMaster
Make : Tadiran
Model : Manhattan GX 250 split unit
Manufactured : Israel 1993
Power : 2500W input. COP around 2.6 (air conditioning) / 3.0 (heat pump)
Refrigerant : R-22

We have 2 of them installed (in our home and in grandparents home), both since 1993. they work hard in winters (in heat pump mode) and all i ever replaced in them was start/run capacitors. (and even there the originals did 15..20 years)

Indestructible 90s technology
At this volunteering place, they have a Kenmore 12,000 BTU R-22 window air conditioner, Made in 1991 - 1992, Can't remember.
It's winter right now(No snow in Florida!), So I can't really test it out, to see if it works.
If I turn it on, I just hear the fans going, Or the 25 year old compressor is just really quiet.
While it's on, there is not very much cold air coming out, Likely because the temperature you feel is probably relative the ambient air.
Before we had the Rheem air conditioner, There was a Bryant Evolution 3 ton air conditioner, 12 SEER(Below the minimum rating.), And it was gigantic. I suspect it had R-134a because of the huge size.
The thermostat was the Early-2000's version of Today's Nest. It was programmable, had a giant LCD display,
humidity control, And check up reminders.
I still have it, but we have a plain Honeywell thermostat now.  :'(

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Your air conditioner « Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 01:08:37 AM » Author: tolivac
Shouldn't we be talking about heaters at this time of year?Have a Lennox Central AC/Heat pump.Also have a "Heat Smart" portable heater.Since its very cold here my heatpump is running pretty much all the time.Would love to have a gas furnace instead as a central heater-and use the Lennox in the summer as an AC-Its a GREAT AC unit.Its like almost 20yrs old!
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Your air conditioner « Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 01:52:05 AM » Author: funkybulb
I have a Haier R22 5000 BTU  A/c unit running as speak breafly in my bedroom.

Living room have 12000 BTU kenmore 410A that get over works in the room as it under size sadly.

I have a R22 window unit 5000 BTU that i run on my inverter in shed on solar power.  Running of from
1 Kw inverter .  Texas still have some hot days in the
Winter months.  It can easly reach 90 F on some days
In the winter,  my biggest pet peeve is wall mart stop selling shorts in the fall.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Your air conditioner « Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 02:24:24 AM » Author: dor123
Here in my hostel, we have an old Electra central A/C that originally used R22 refrigerant, and had a Tadiran outdoor unit made in the 90's. However, as when we began to operate it on heating, the compressor has been leaked oil, the technicians replaced the entrie unit, to a more recent Electra unit, but it uses R410A refrigerant, and it now working with the old Electra central R22 indoor unit.
At the lobby, we have an Elco Hi-Tech upper split A/C, also from the 90's I think (The rounded one, not the bulky square one).
Both A/Cs made in Israel.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Your air conditioner « Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 09:17:39 AM » Author: wattMaster
Shouldn't we be talking about heaters at this time of year?Have a Lennox Central AC/Heat pump.Also have a "Heat Smart" portable heater.Since its very cold here my heatpump is running pretty much all the time.Would love to have a gas furnace instead as a central heater-and use the Lennox in the summer as an AC-Its a GREAT AC unit.Its like almost 20yrs old!
It still feels like summer in Florida, even in winter. We usually have hot, cold, hot, cold days.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Your air conditioner « Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 09:31:43 AM » Author: funkybulb
For heat I use a Iwaski 750 watt self ballast MV to heat
My bed room.  And  Fire place with wood off the land
For heating rest of the house when North gate opens

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Re: Your air conditioner « Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 02:55:02 PM » Author: LampLover
In Connecticut it is heating season

But I do own two window units

I live in a very small apartment so I only need a small unit

The one in the living room area is a Kenmore 8000BTU 253.79081 (The unit is really made by Frigidaire Electrolux) The unit uses R410A refrigerant
The one in the bedroom area is one of those manual dial $99 specials 5000BTU the brand sticker is Sunbeam but I don't know who actually made it though (The unit is of course made in China for whoever currently owns the Sunbeam brand) it also uses R410A refrigerant

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Your air conditioner « Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 07:10:51 PM » Author: wattMaster

The one in the living room area is a Kenmore 8000BTU 253.79081 (The unit is really made by Frigidaire Electrolux) The unit uses R410A refrigerant
The one in the bedroom area is one of those manual dial $99 specials 5000BTU the brand sticker is Sunbeam but I don't know who actually made it though (The unit is of course made in China for whoever currently owns the Sunbeam brand) it also uses R410A refrigerant
Do you have a photo of the Sunbeam one? I might be able to identify it.

LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

Re: Your air conditioner « Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 06:12:43 AM » Author: LampLover

Here is a photo of the Sunbeam one
Sorry for the poor quality it is hard to get a clear picture as my bed is in front of it

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Your air conditioner « Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 07:03:40 AM » Author: dor123
Here in Israel, window A/C were fell out of popularity during the beginning of the 2000's, in favor of split wall A/Cs, because they are very noisy compared to split A/Cs, and here they were often installed not at the window (Our windows opening from the side and not from the bottom like in the US), but in a hole in the wall, which is much less asthetic than wall split A/C.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Your air conditioner « Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 09:58:24 AM » Author: wattMaster

Sorry for the poor quality it is hard to get a clear picture as my bed is in front of it
It looks like a variant of the Frigidaire 5000 BTU air conditioner, just with different knobs and more curves.

LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

Re: Your air conditioner « Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 12:39:11 PM » Author: LampLover

It looks like a variant of the Frigidaire 5000 BTU air conditioner, just with different knobs and more curves.

The picture of the GE I just posted also looks similar
I have seen the same generic unit with several different brands (Even some of the less known brands like SPT CoolStar etc use the same design) and slight differences (In the plastic face panel) but they all look basically the same and are probably the same internally. I don't know who actually makes the unit though

LED Free Zone!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Your air conditioner « Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 12:15:08 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I'm embarrassed to say that my house was built back in 2003 with a Rheem brand central air furnace and A/C units.  Looking forward to replacing them with high quality Trane brand units in time. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies