Author Topic: The reality of low cost, imported lamps  (Read 4231 times)
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: The reality of low cost, imported lamps « Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 08:50:17 PM » Author: icefoglights
In Louisiana lease lights are very common, both 175 watt MV and 100 watt HPS.  Outside of town limits, almost every property has one (and even some within town limits)  Some new ones seem to be going to LED now.

In Alaska, there is no lease light program, so HID yard lights aren't as common.  Most that have them are building mounted.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Aveoguy22
Re: The reality of low cost, imported lamps « Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 09:49:25 PM » Author: Aveoguy22
here in Michigan pretty much all yard/security lights are HID.  theres one on my property and 2 at my Grandparents' place.  almost every place here in rural areas has at least one, maybe 2 or even more.  most are MV. there are some HPS and a few MH.  LED is becoming more prominent.  usually the lower wattage ones on garages and such.  they aren't near as bright as a HID one though and I feel that people are going to find that they don't last near as long as the package says they will.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:51:39 PM by Aveoguy22 » Logged
xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The reality of low cost, imported lamps « Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 10:07:04 PM » Author: xelareverse
here in Michigan pretty much all yard/security lights are HID.  theres one on my property and 2 at my Grandparents' place.  almost every place here in rural areas has at least one, maybe 2 or even more.  most are MV. there are some HPS and a few MH.  LED is becoming more prominent.  usually the lower wattage ones on garages and such.  they aren't near as bright as a HID one though and I feel that people are going to find that they don't last near as long as the package says they will.
My neighbor hood has people who use MV yardblasters
Aveoguy22
Re: The reality of low cost, imported lamps « Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 10:12:59 PM » Author: Aveoguy22
My neighbor hood has people who use MV yardblasters

the light on my property is a 175w  MV NEMA head and the ones at my grandparents are a 175w MV yardblaster and a 35w HPS wallpack.  yup theyre pretty common here  ;D
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The reality of low cost, imported lamps « Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 11:26:42 PM » Author: BlueHalide
The power company here (ComEd) leases yardblasters to rural private property like farms. The most common is the 250w mercury with DX lamp or 150w HPS,  From what ive heard the power company does a terrible job on relamping the leased fixtures, and typically only relamps upon customer's request. And apparently now, instead of relamping perfectly good mercury fixtures, they're replacing them entirely with 55w LED yardblasters. They seem to be using exclusively one brand (RAB I believe) of LED area light which if memory serves are 55w. So, if you're a farmer and call to get a new bulb installed in your dim and greened out mercury area light, they'll just replace the entire fixture with the 55w LED. I suppose it makes the utility company more money.
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The reality of low cost, imported lamps « Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 11:29:34 PM » Author: BlueHalide
175w mercury and 100w HPS yardblasters are even more common, but are usually owned by the homeowner and not leased. In fact I dont think the utility even offered a 175 MV for lease, 250w was the lowest wattage available in MV
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The reality of low cost, imported lamps « Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 12:51:06 AM » Author: ace100w120v
I feel like privately-owned HIDs are decently common everywhere I've been in both Alaska and California. 
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies