Author Topic: Gas station flourescents  (Read 4893 times)
Twin120112

View Posts
View Gallery

Gas station flourescents « on: May 12, 2016, 04:02:07 PM » Author: Twin120112
Looking to buy a couple flourescent fixtures (whiteway cobra, flair, etc...) like they used to have at gas stations. If anyone has one (or knows where I could find one) I would be interested in possibly buying it! I

There's a gas station by me that has one still lit up and I added a picture of it as an example

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:05:02 PM by Twin120112 » Logged
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Gas station flourescents « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 06:20:14 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Same. I'm on a mission to get one, will inquire about it tomorro.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

mbulb146

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gas station flourescents « Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 06:35:02 PM » Author: mbulb146
I've had my eyes on some too.  Plan on bringing help and either a scissor lift or bucket truck, these things weigh a couple hundred pounds.  Anyone have a story of successfully removing one from a pole?

Matt
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gas station flourescents « Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 07:16:25 PM » Author: wattMaster
Florida has loads of these plus at least one MH version.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:21:14 PM by wattMaster » Logged

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Gas station flourescents « Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 07:26:34 PM » Author: Lumex120
There is an abandoned gas station near my cabin with a few of these and old white 400w MV boxes (at least that's what I think they are). The whole place is literally falling apart and overgrown, so I doubt it will ever re-open. If I can find out who owns it and get all the lights, I will post it in the "for sale" section, as I have no use for gas station VHO fixtures.

Unofficial LG Discord

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gas station flourescents « Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 07:53:39 PM » Author: wattMaster
There is an abandoned gas station near my cabin with a few of these and old white 400w MV boxes (at least that's what I think they are). The whole place is literally falling apart and overgrown, so I doubt it will ever re-open. If I can find out who owns it and get all the lights, I will post it in the "for sale" section, as I have no use for gas station VHO fixtures.
Make a path in your yard lit up by these.
Maybe even use it to light up your house.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Gas station flourescents « Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 09:52:34 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I've seen some MV ones with a coffin looking shape and lens. Mine will be used in the backyard for house warming parties lol.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Twin120112

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gas station flourescents « Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 10:31:30 PM » Author: Twin120112

Here's another one I came across (Michigan) it's a Whiteway Cobra and I'm assuming 5 lamp fixture. They're never on. Aside from searching locally or asking the owners if I can have them, does anyone know if these have a specific name for their style?  
Twin120112

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gas station flourescents « Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 10:38:42 PM » Author: Twin120112
I've had my eyes on some too.  Plan on bringing help and either a scissor lift or bucket truck, these things weigh a couple hundred pounds.  Anyone have a story of successfully removing one from a pole?

Matt

Good call, I could remove them myself with a scissor lift if I could get permission to buy them. I didn't know they weighed so much. Never taken one off a pole before but it can't be too difficult
veryhighonoutput

View Posts
View Gallery

T12

Re: Gas station flourescents « Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 05:37:06 PM » Author: veryhighonoutput
I would love one badly as well I figure if I get lamps and ballasts for one I'd get one soon, I know where there is 8,in all different locations. This winter when I get time I will be asking all those locations if I can have it and see what happens

T12/ t17 there's a reason they made heavy magnetic ballasts

Twin120112

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gas station flourescents « Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 02:35:36 PM » Author: Twin120112
I would love one badly as well I figure if I get lamps and ballasts for one I'd get one soon, I know where there is 8,in all different locations. This winter when I get time I will be asking all those locations if I can have it and see what happens

I'm going to do that this week. I'll just stop in and ask if they want to get rid of them. If business are going to keep them up they should at least take care of them, other wise let them go where they can get a second life and update their fixtures
Twin120112

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gas station flourescents « Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 04:10:23 PM » Author: Twin120112
Update:
I went to a business that had one of these fixtures today and asked if the owner wanted to sell it. After talking a bit I learned that his shop used to be an Amoco gas station in the 60s-90s, and this light was made for the Standard oil company. I talked him into parting with it and scored it for $150, going back on Sunday with a scissor lift to remove it!

Note the Amoco torch and oval logo stamped into the front of the fixture casing. Super cool piece of history
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Gas station flourescents « Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 04:22:57 PM » Author: Lumex120
Update:
I went to a business that had one of these fixtures today and asked if the owner wanted to sell it. After talking a bit I learned that his shop used to be an Amoco gas station in the 60s-90s, and this light was made for the Standard oil company. I talked him into parting with it and scored it for $150, going back on Sunday with a scissor lift to remove it!

Note the Amoco torch and oval logo stamped into the front of the fixture casing. Super cool piece of history
Nice score! For the price you paid, I hope they work...

Unofficial LG Discord

Twin120112

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gas station flourescents « Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 11:07:46 PM » Author: Twin120112
Here are some pictures of us removing it from the pole, it went pretty well but these things are heavy. I bench tested it once I got home and it fired on the first try. 2/6 bulbs are working so I might have to just replace the other 4
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Gas station flourescents « Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 11:09:46 PM » Author: Lumex120
Here are some pictures of us removing it from the pole, it went pretty well but these things are heavy. I bench tested it once I got home and it fired on the first try. 2/6 bulbs are working so I might have to just replace the other 4
Wow. You NEED to get that installed with new lamps somewhere!

Unofficial LG Discord

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies