Author Topic: Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-(  (Read 5415 times)
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-( « on: May 23, 2016, 03:42:29 PM » Author: M250R201SA
At 13:25 hours, May 23, 2016, I watched with anger and sadness as we lost another 175 watt GE 201SA, replaced with a New 100w HPS GE 201SA (SAH10S1N21181 model).  The anger stemmed from the lineman telling me that  :mv: is dangerous and bad for the environment and that is why they no longer re-lamp ANY  :mv: and instead will change the whole luminaire to a  :hps:.  I even asked him if he would look for and save me a 250w  :mv: NEMA and he refused, not to be mean, but because the company makes him turn in any and all  :mv: lamps and luminaires.  Truly a sad day, but I gotta look at the Brightside.  At least he didn't replace the 175w Merc with a POS LED.   >:( :-[ :(

It took him a total of 14 minutes from Removal of the classic to Installation of the new one (13:25-13:39 hours elapsed time, CDT)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:55:51 PM by M250R201SA » Logged

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-( « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 04:00:45 PM » Author: M250R201SA
The photo I am posting was actually taken only 2 nights ago while I was walking my Basset Hound..  Had I known what was to have taken place today, I would've taken more and better pictures  :'(
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 04:04:07 PM by M250R201SA » Logged

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-( « Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 04:02:45 PM » Author: Lumex120
MV lamps are most definitely NOT bad for the enviroment! They last forever, don't need that many materials to make, plus LED fixtures don't last long at all and require lots of energy and materials to make. HPS is a little better, but MV is probably the greenest solution even though it is not as efficient.

Unofficial LG Discord

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-( « Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 04:08:03 PM » Author: M250R201SA
MV lamps are most definitely NOT bad for the enviroment! They last forever, don't need that many materials to make, plus LED fixtures don't last long at all and require lots of energy and materials to make. HPS is a little better, but MV is probably the greenest solution even though it is not as efficient.

THANK YOU!!!  I wish you had been standing beside me when the lineman told me that.  I just wanted to SCREEEAM!!!!

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-( « Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 05:37:43 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Heh. Green.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-( « Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 06:09:07 PM » Author: M250R201SA
Heh. Green.

Right??!! Maybe after a few good years of use anyway.   :D

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-( « Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 11:10:51 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
they are getting ready to convert all the HPS cobras in my community over to LED next month.  I've been in contact with the rep from the power company (XCEL Energy)as I am one of the ones who report outages and day burners and what not.  She sent me some information from their engineer who did research on the LEDs.  They have waited a few years to start the conversion process so that they could research and observe how things are going with other cities and what not who have converted over to LED.  He noted all the strengths and weaknesses and they along with CDOT (Colorado Department of Transportation) are in agreement on a fixture to use for the conversions.  CDOT has been testing them for the past several years in various climates throughout colorado, from the high country along I-70, to bitter cold in the winter Leadville, Colorado, to warm and sunny Alamosa.  What I am most pleased about though is that they were in agreement with me that we need the color tone to be decent and not the crisp white, but more of a soft white.  It'll be right around 4100k which I am very pleased about.  Given all the HPS that have been going EoL over the past few months, things are getting dark fast along the main streets. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-( « Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 11:12:41 PM » Author: Lumex120
they are getting ready to convert all the HPS cobras in my community over to LED next month.  I've been in contact with the rep from the power company (XCEL Energy)as I am one of the ones who report outages and day burners and what not.  She sent me some information from their engineer who did research on the LEDs.  They have waited a few years to start the conversion process so that they could research and observe how things are going with other cities and what not who have converted over to LED.  He noted all the strengths and weaknesses and they along with CDOT (Colorado Department of Transportation) are in agreement on a fixture to use for the conversions.  CDOT has been testing them for the past several years in various climates throughout colorado, from the high country along I-70, to bitter cold in the winter Leadville, Colorado, to warm and sunny Alamosa.  What I am most pleased about though is that they were in agreement with me that we need the color tone to be decent and not the crisp white, but more of a soft white.  It'll be right around 4100k which I am very pleased about.  Given all the HPS that have been going EoL over the past few months, things are getting dark fast along the main streets. 
Have you told them about PSMH like 150 or 250w? They are more efficient than LEDs and have higher CRI (and in most cases, last longer than the LED fixtures).

Unofficial LG Discord

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-( « Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 02:48:52 PM » Author: mdcastle
Chicago was the only agency that extensively used PSMH (Philips Cosmo lamps). With half the life of HPS I think this is going to be a nonstarter.

Still waiting for the first of the XCEL lamps in the metro to be replaced with LEDs after announcing it last year. They've just about completed western Wisconsin.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-( « Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 05:27:42 PM » Author: Ash
HAlf the life of HPS is better than most LEDs do. Especially when you weight in the cost of the lanterns, and the fact that HPS lanterns can be converted to MH with only a ballast swap
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-( « Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 08:29:51 PM » Author: mdcastle
The LED lights on the I-35W bridge have been going 9 years now with no failures.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-( « Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 11:15:37 AM » Author: Lumex120
The photo I am posting was actually taken only 2 nights ago while I was walking my Basset Hound..  Had I known what was to have taken place today, I would've taken more and better pictures  :'(
Notice how well lit the road is. It probably was better in person. The HPS isn't even going to come close in terms of visibility. There are 100w HPS cobraheads on the streets here and they are so bad at lighting the roads that you have to take a flashlight if you want to take a walk at night. At the same time I have been to other states that use 175w mercs for street lighting and the roads are lit so bright it hurts your eyes, despite the fact that they are around the same lumens.

Unofficial LG Discord

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-( « Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 11:17:35 AM » Author: wattMaster
At least it's not an ugly LED light. They replaced all of the HPS here with LED overnight, it seems.
And don't forget that you can just put your own MV streetlight up.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-( « Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 11:34:23 PM » Author: M250R201SA
The 250w Merc NEMA behind my house looks like it has either burned out or been cut.  The wires look cut, so I am assuming since nobody was paying for the light, they disconnected it.  It may still work, so I won't say for certain

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Dam* Dam* Dam*, Another one bites the Dust >:-( « Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 09:01:30 AM » Author: Lumex120
The 250w Merc NEMA behind my house looks like it has either burned out or been cut.  The wires look cut, so I am assuming since nobody was paying for the light, they disconnected it.  It may still work, so I won't say for certain
At least it won't be replaced if they have stopped using it. Is it on private property?

Unofficial LG Discord

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies