Author Topic: What does Chicago replace their Crimefighter lights with?  (Read 2418 times)
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
What does Chicago replace their Crimefighter lights with? « on: June 05, 2016, 05:48:10 PM » Author: M250R201SA
I'm assuming the M250R Crimefighters are no longer produced for Chicago (obviously), so when one goes bad, do they replace the bad part, or do they put a new fixture up?  If so, what do they replace the Crimefighter with?  M400R3, M250R2?

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: What does Chicago replace their Crimefighter lights with? « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 06:20:23 PM » Author: mdcastle
Chicago has removed massive numbers of these, so I assume they saved a bunch of fixtures for replacements.
EpicStreetlights

View Posts
View Gallery

Epic_Fire_Alarms
Re: What does Chicago replace their Crimefighter lights with? « Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 07:11:21 AM » Author: EpicStreetlights
I've seen Chicago use a number of fixtures for replacements, mainly GE M400s and M250s, and more recently Cree LED streetlights. 
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: What does Chicago replace their Crimefighter lights with? « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 10:13:55 PM » Author: M250R201SA
I've seen Chicago use a number of fixtures for replacements, mainly GE M400s and M250s, and more recently Cree LED streetlights. 

For some reason, on all the main streets (Magnificent Mile) I always thought they were 1kW lamps, because they looked so bright, but I am guessing on the one-way streets, they were just 250w lamps, and on the MAIN streets, they must have been 400W.  I actually have no idea.  Why do they always look so much brighter on the main streets than they do on the one-way streets.

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What does Chicago replace their Crimefighter lights with? « Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 07:42:01 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
They use 310w.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: What does Chicago replace their Crimefighter lights with? « Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 07:25:29 PM » Author: lights*plus
Last time I was in Chicago, in 2017, I found surprisingly few LED heads within Chicago city limits, except for 51watt LED for lanes which were formerly CMH. The same 51watts were on all roads in one immediate suburb (Schiller Park)

But I did find one 180 watt Leotek(??) replacing a residential 250w crimefighter. That 180w LED is really for major roads or thruways. See attached.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What does Chicago replace their Crimefighter lights with? « Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 07:29:06 PM » Author: joseph_125
I wonder how many of these unique lights ended up into collections. I know a few members including myself have the 1960s MV M-250R based version, but I wonder how many of the later M-400A based and M-250A based ones got saved when they got replaced with LED.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: What does Chicago replace their Crimefighter lights with? « Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 07:32:09 PM » Author: lights*plus
Forgot to mention that lights in downtown Chicago (2017) were indeed 1kw HPS as well as 400w. See the #2 & #3 pics in https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-161846
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What does Chicago replace their Crimefighter lights with? « Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 07:36:51 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Last time I was in Chicago, in 2017, I found surprisingly few LED heads within Chicago city limits, except for 51watt LED for lanes which were formerly CMH. The same 51watts were on all roads in one immediate suburb (Schiller Park)

But I did find one 180 watt Leotek(??) replacing a residential 250w crimefighter. That 180w LED is really for major roads or thruways. See attached.
Nice pics @lights*plus!

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

EpicStreetlights

View Posts
View Gallery

Epic_Fire_Alarms
Re: What does Chicago replace their Crimefighter lights with? « Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 08:14:49 AM » Author: EpicStreetlights
What's a little bit odd about Chicago is that despite being midway through an massive LED changeout certain reas still get new HPS fixtures. If a road has yet to be converted, in most cases it seems like another GE M-250 is used as opposed to a Leotek or GE LED fixture. I guess this is done for the sake of uniformity so different color temperatures don't clash on the same block, but it's still weird. In my area spot-replacements started well before the mass LED conversions, not the other way around.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies