Author Topic: Need help here with wire code reading  (Read 3106 times)
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Need help here with wire code reading « on: March 24, 2008, 05:12:25 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
I am trying to replace and rewire the streetlight display I have.....The wires I have is kinda too thin.....the orignal wire that was for the wall outlet to the display was waaaay too small, it was AWG 18/3 wire......too small....I was searching for a good size wire, found a nice wire, but its European and I need help knowing the coding of the wire and what it is equivalent  to....anyone can help?

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Need help here with wire code reading « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:52:29 AM » Author: lite_lover
I'm not sure if I can help...what is the coding on the wire?

The brighter the better.

dp
Re: Need help here with wire code reading « Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:08:22 AM » Author: dp
Usually european (well UK as I know) have something like: "3x0.75mm2" which means that there is 3 cores, usually live, neutral and earth, and the 0.75mm2 means the conductor is 0.75mm2. For lighting etc, I use at least 1mm2.

You also get 3G0.75mm2 which is just the same as the above.  ;)
SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need help here with wire code reading « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 01:45:40 PM » Author: SeanB~1
If it is single cores, then the size will be embossed onto the sheath of each core, either 1.0mm (5A rating) 1.5mm (10A) or 2.5mm (20A). If a cable then the outer sheath has the embossed code. You will find in a cord there are 3 or more inner conductors. If 2 core then only for a double insulated item ( no earth/ ground wire).

Colours are simple, Green/yellow is earth( in US ground), red or brown is line ( US hot) and black or blue is neutral( USA common). If multicore there may be additional cores of white, yellow, or numbered black cores. If there are 7 cores, with a white that is thicker, then that is an automotive trailer cable, and is not rated for connection to the mains, voltage rating is 60V only.
lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Need help here with wire code reading « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 06:31:53 PM » Author: lite_lover
Similar recommended wire sizes would be:      1.63mm = 14 AWG
                                                                        2.05mm = 12 AWG

The brighter the better.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies