Author Topic: 2 saved HPS Cobra Heads  (Read 1754 times)
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

2 saved HPS Cobra Heads « on: June 27, 2016, 08:02:48 AM » Author: bucket175mv
My hometown city London Ontario has unfortunately converted all the street lights on the main streets from HPS to LED. While the colour index is much better, I'll miss the HID days. While out picking up a new vehicle from one of our outsourced outfitters I couldn't help but notice a boom truck switching out the HPS to LED. I pulled over and asked if I could have a few (expecting a big time shut down lol) he replied "take as many as you like", Hell yeah!!

Like a goon I only grabbed two and there was about 20 or so still on the truck. Some looked really vintage if I recall.

I only could really fit two in the back of this new Focus Hatch back lol. If I was out driving my 1978 Chevrolet Bel Air, I would have grabbed like 8 or more lol. They are both 250w HPS and I do believe that the one on the left is a Crouse Hinds OV15.

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: 2 saved HPS Cobra Heads « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:09:25 AM » Author: streetlight98
Yep, that's a Crouse-Hinds OV15 on the left and a Powerlite Sylvania R47 on the right. :)

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: 2 saved HPS Cobra Heads « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 12:06:02 PM » Author: M250R201SA
As my friend Napoleon Dynamite would say...

LUCKYYY!!!!

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 2 saved HPS Cobra Heads « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 01:26:13 PM » Author: bucket175mv
Yep, that's a Crouse-Hinds OV15 on the left and a Powerlite Sylvania R47 on the right. :)

Sweet and thanks! Any idea of the era for these fixtures? I'm thinking the OV-15 is older.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 2 saved HPS Cobra Heads « Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 01:45:26 PM » Author: Ash
Great save !

If you want more, look out for the cherry picker truck elsewhere in the area next day, they will probably be around. Also what wattage LEDs they put up ?
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 2 saved HPS Cobra Heads « Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 03:12:42 PM » Author: bucket175mv
Great save !

If you want more, look out for the cherry picker truck elsewhere in the area next day, they will probably be around. Also what wattage LEDs they put up ?

I'm pretty sure the changeover program is over. I did know of some one off type cobra heads that I really wanted.

I'm pretty sure they are installing 35,45 and 65w LED.
streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: 2 saved HPS Cobra Heads « Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 09:14:13 PM » Author: streetlight98
The OV-15 is most likely from the later 80s and the Powerlite maybe the same age or as late as mid-90s? If the lights have capacitors, if the capacitors are not rusted, there should be a ##-## code included in the ink stamp, which will tell you the week and year of manufacture.

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 2 saved HPS Cobra Heads « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 07:35:50 AM » Author: bucket175mv
I'll have to check for a date. I'm thinking of selling these on my local classifieds as I really have no use for them or possibly trade with someone onthis fourm. I would like to convert the OV-15 to 175w  :mv: for fun and so it an relive the good ol days lol.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies