Author Topic: Darkest Paint  (Read 6064 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Darkest Paint « on: June 27, 2016, 09:07:01 PM » Author: wattMaster
I have an odd question, What's the darkest paint available? I want to theoretically paint a room with this paint, and have it looks like a black hole, or have special effects. I tried looking this up and it's all about Vantablack and Superblack, which is of no interest to me, because it is not easily available. For this purpose, regular black paint is like a mirror.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Darkest Paint « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 10:35:12 PM » Author: sol
Flat black would be the blackest. Should be available at any paint dealer.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Darkest Paint « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 10:43:25 PM » Author: wattMaster
Flat/Matte Black isn't dark enough, I want some specialty paint that can go darker, the goal is to have a room painted with this with some lights on in it, and this matte black would likely be not dark enough.

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Darkest Paint « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:45:18 PM » Author: FGS
Vantablack IS the black hole of paint. Almost no light is reflected off it! And I thought black toner dust (broken toner cartridge from an old laser printer, I was praying that I do NOT sneeze while I was looking inside) was the blackest I've seen... :o LOL!

On a serious note. Matte black paint is the way to go. Though... Why you want to paint your walls black? ???

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Darkest Paint « Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 10:50:54 PM » Author: wattMaster
Vantablack IS the black hole of paint. Almost no light is reflected off it! And I thought black toner dust (broken toner cartridge from an old laser printer, I was praying that I do NOT sneeze while I was looking inside) was the blackest I've seen... :o LOL!

On a serious note. Matte black paint is the way to go. Though... Why you want to paint your walls black? ???
Just for fun. Maybe as a concept room idea.
Problem is, Vantablack is experimental stuff, I want something anybody can buy in store or online.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Darkest Paint « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 05:02:45 PM » Author: Ash
The texture of the walls may have no less effect. I think some big-bubble acoustics foam or the like, painted with that same matt black, would be blacker than a flat wall painted with it. However, the foam accumulates dust over time, so its blackness will degrade

Another solution maybe to cover the walls with black theater curtains. Those are pretty black, are allready textured, and you can maintain their performance at least to some extent by washing them
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Darkest Paint « Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 05:32:29 PM » Author: Medved
I think the theater curtains are very good idea, definitely they are designed exactly for the purpose to not reflect anything (so even shadows are not visible on them). But do not expect these things to be any cheap...

No more selfballasted c***

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Darkest Paint « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 05:55:29 PM » Author: wattMaster
Sounds good, for extra insurance, put the curtains over the matte black wall paint.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Darkest Paint « Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 02:42:19 AM » Author: tolivac
Theater curtains--you may be able to get the fabric those are made from and use that.Looked on an online cinema supply and the cloth is much cheaper than a made curtain-those cost the big bucks!If you can sew-make the curtains yourself from the fabric-and you can make them any size you want.I am starting to learn how to use a sewing machine-have a small collection of them with my vacuums.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Darkest Paint « Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 08:29:01 AM » Author: wattMaster
Sounds like a plan.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Darkest Paint « Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 05:11:15 AM » Author: tolivac
If you want to make the curtains-you can have many options for making them Have a freind or someone who can sew do it,or get yourself a new or used straight stitch sewing machine.This would be the easiest to use.Buy from a good Sewing dealer who can warrantee the machine and show you how to use it.Used machines in good condition adn warranted are good as well.If you buy a used machine from a yard sale or private-have a good sewing tech go over the machine to make sure it works OK.I bought a Rocket Singer machine from a yard sale-one of the best I have!All metal-these machines are best.Newer machines with plastic cases and cast pot metal frames should be avoided.The old Singer,Necci,New Home, and other vintage metal machines are best.Pfaff and Bernina are good,too.Esp the older metal ones.Just have the timing,cleaning and wear of the parts checked.Get a pack of needles-you can't sew with a dull needle.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Darkest Paint « Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 07:17:48 AM » Author: wattMaster
If you want to make the curtains-you can have many options for making them Have a freind or someone who can sew do it,or get yourself a new or used straight stitch sewing machine.This would be the easiest to use.Buy from a good Sewing dealer who can warrantee the machine and show you how to use it.Used machines in good condition adn warranted are good as well.If you buy a used machine from a yard sale or private-have a good sewing tech go over the machine to make sure it works OK.I bought a Rocket Singer machine from a yard sale-one of the best I have!All metal-these machines are best.Newer machines with plastic cases and cast pot metal frames should be avoided.The old Singer,Necci,New Home, and other vintage metal machines are best.Pfaff and Bernina are good,too.Esp the older metal ones.Just have the timing,cleaning and wear of the parts checked.Get a pack of needles-you can't sew with a dull needle.
We have a sewing machine somewhere, but I don't know where.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 10:26:31 PM by wattMaster » Logged

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Darkest Paint « Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 07:31:31 AM » Author: Ash
Dont need machine, it can be done by hand, allthough the seams likely won't come out as neat
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Darkest Paint « Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 10:48:10 AM » Author: wattMaster
Oh, and it it has to be as smooth as it can be, or it will ruin the effect.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Darkest Paint « Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 06:22:20 PM » Author: Ash
What is the intended effect ?

If the curtain is black enough for photometric experiments when it is stretched, it would be no worse when wavy (and probably better, as mre light will be lost in it)

If its to make some effect for peeps to see, then you might want it stretched, as waves would stand out on the otherwise uniform black background
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies