Author Topic: 35w HPS vs 50W MV  (Read 4854 times)
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 12:50:14 PM » Author: bucket175mv
Here is some pics of the Regent fixture I'm going to convert to 50 watt :mv:

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #16 on: July 02, 2016, 04:58:58 AM » Author: tolivac
The mercury will give a more pleasing color-BUT will attract more bugs than the HPS.Don't know if I would want bugs to be attracted to my home or building entrance doors!
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 10:34:38 AM » Author: wattMaster
The mercury will give a more pleasing color-BUT will attract more bugs than the HPS.Don't know if I would want bugs to be attracted to my home or building entrance doors!
The solution is a bug zapper.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 11:14:38 AM » Author: AngryHorse
The perfect size bucket for a 50watt MV, and MV will compliment your trees and bushes too, I`d love to see a `night shot` when you have done it :)
Mine is in a tried and tested GEC street lantern, all it needed was a ballast change to MV, I will post a pic of it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:16:28 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #19 on: July 02, 2016, 06:34:09 PM » Author: Ash
Bug zapper outdoors ?

- That would attract and zap bees and whatever other Pokemons that are part of the outdoor life close to you, and not getting near the house normally

- That would be arcing nearly continuously

- That would attract more insects that it can zap, so provide a swarm of flying critters all around the place, that will get into the opening door too

- That would stink with deleted insects

The solution is to locate the light not right next to the door or window. Mount it to a shed/garage/pole. Whether HPS or Mercury

My outdoor light used to be a 125W Mercury side road lantern, but changed since to 150W HPS floodlight, and right now there is a temporary 400W MH floodlight (of similar type to the HPS one) in its place
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #20 on: July 03, 2016, 04:04:56 PM » Author: wattMaster
Bug zapper outdoors ?

- That would attract and zap bees and whatever other Pokemons that are part of the outdoor life close to you, and not getting near the house normally

- That would be arcing nearly continuously

- That would attract more insects that it can zap, so provide a swarm of flying critters all around the place, that will get into the opening door too

- That would stink with deleted insects

The solution is to locate the light not right next to the door or window. Mount it to a shed/garage/pole. Whether HPS or Mercury

My outdoor light used to be a 125W Mercury side road lantern, but changed since to 150W HPS floodlight, and right now there is a temporary 400W MH floodlight (of similar type to the HPS one) in its place
I would put the bug deleter somewhere in the front yard, maybe by an outlet.
And you don't want to kill the bees!

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 09:06:00 AM » Author: bucket175mv

When I first installed MV yard lights on my property I thought the same thing would happen but I get very little insect action from all 3 of my yard lights wich is kinda strange considering the amount of bugs we get during the summer months.

Something about a bunch of insects flying around a MV yard light reminds me of summer time many years ago at my grandparents campground on lake Erie and I kinda like it.
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 09:12:21 AM » Author: bucket175mv
The perfect size bucket for a 50watt MV, and MV will compliment your trees and bushes too, I`d love to see a `night shot` when you have done it :)
Mine is in a tried and tested GEC street lantern, all it needed was a ballast change to MV, I will post a pic of it.

I'd like to see a pic because 50 watt MV bulbs and gear is somewhat rare here on LG and they're like one of my favorites!

I'm going to make a separate thread about my custom built 50 watt Mercury Vapor "mini bucket" fixture as soon as my bulb and new 35/39 watt MH ballast come in. Stay tuned! 
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 02:09:12 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Both my lantern and gear are now uploaded ;)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 08:47:30 AM » Author: bucket175mv
Both my lantern and gear are now uploaded ;)

I checked it out and that's a good clean install and the light output looks perfect for your yard. Vastly different fixtures we have compared to our European counterparts.

I've started a post of my custom built 50 watt :mv: fixture.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies