Author Topic: no more mers allowed in arizona  (Read 15203 times)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: no more mers allowed in arizona « Reply #45 on: September 01, 2016, 02:19:17 AM » Author: Ash
Your situation may not be everyone else's, so off the top of your computer throne you can't see what happens in every single location of an entire state (or are you aiming for the entire planet ?). Your experts cannot either. You can educate users to use lighting correctly, but your "correcly" is not every use case's "correctly"
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: no more mers allowed in arizona « Reply #46 on: September 12, 2016, 08:49:38 AM » Author: wattMaster
And another reason to use outdoor/DtD lighting is because of community issues.
Here, if you don't have lighting in your yard, the HOA could potentially criticize you for that.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: no more mers allowed in arizona « Reply #47 on: September 12, 2016, 03:01:18 PM » Author: lights*plus
No law has been passed to curtail dusk-to-dawn lighting. Laws have been created against inneficient, polluting or nuissance lighting.

Apparently that's the case with MV and farmyard NEMA-heads. No one said don't operate them in your garage or house or you can't go out to replace MVs with something worse.

But let's do some simple math. Here are the annual costs for your NEMA-heads:

The 400 watt farmyard MV circuit consumes about 455 watts burning for a total of about 4200 hours a year. Each unit therefore consumes a total of 1911 (455 x 4200) kilowatt-hours. Multiplying this by an average electrical cost of about 12 cents per kilowatt-hour (use yout rate here) yields about $229 every year without tax to operate such a lamp.

For the 175 watt MV lamp yields (205w x 1kw/1000w x 4200hrs x $.12) $103 USD annual cost.

Typical NEMA-heads w/refractor shed about 60% of their light onto your property with any degree of utility. Nearly 25% is going straight out to annoy neighbours and passer-by & 15% to annoy astronomers. If you take the numbers above then you can see that you squander $92 for the 400w or $41 for the 175w every single year.

The idea is to have some courtesy and be considerate of other creatures (forget about humans if you hate them THAT much). Persoanally, I don't ask you to have darkness all night. I ask you to turn them off at about midnight so that my kids can go out and enjoy the splendor of the heavens.

We should put this thread to rest now.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: no more mers allowed in arizona « Reply #48 on: September 12, 2016, 03:36:18 PM » Author: Ash
This can and should be treated with light trespass regulations. No matter what the light source type or how long it works every night, light should not reach (list of places and allowed lux levels)

Everthing else is like assuming that the lamp type is what determines light trespass so is nonsense
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: no more mers allowed in arizona « Reply #49 on: January 16, 2017, 07:24:56 PM » Author: wattMaster
If we're talking about light trespass and sky glow, what about FCO optics?

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: no more mers allowed in arizona « Reply #50 on: January 19, 2017, 04:13:16 PM » Author: lights*plus
Most FCO systems shed their light on the ground in a better pattern than a simple point source into a hemisphere below. They provide nearly 100% utility. This is only a 15-20% improvement over classic cobras (dropped refractor).

According to my research, sky-bound contributions from any FCO system is purely from reflected light. This reflected light is diminished by four factors:

1 - A factor for summed reflectivity (cosine law = 0.571 of Initial Flux, or about 0.65 for FCO);
2 - Light lost into very steep angles between 80° & 90° (classic cobras have losses. It's nearly nil for FCO);
3 - The average surface reflectance (typically 13% for aged asphalt; 23% for concrete; 7% for green grass);
4 - Light reduced by obstructions (the summer canopy. So up-light is seasonally dependent).

The formula I've come up with is: UPLIGHT = [SKYBOUND + ASR(CL)USEFUL] • [1 - OL]
Where: SKYBOUND, USEFUL and GLARING are fractions (0-100%) for the light distribution;
          ASR  = Average Surface Reflectance, estimated for typical street-light situations;
           CL    = Cosine Law factor = .571 for useful light (or 0.65 for FCO, LED or HID)
           OL    = Obstructed Light

If you put some numbers for a street-light without a canopy and only asphalt below (like in industrial sectors):

For a FCO HID or LED, UP-LIGHT = [0 + 0.13(0.65)100%] • [1 - 0] = 8.5% of initial flux.
For the classic cobras: UP-LIGHT = [5% + 0.13(0.571)85%] • [1 - 0] = 11.3% of initial (but another 10% is lost in angles 80° to 90°).
For NEMA type described in thread: UP-LIGHT = [15% + 0.13(0.571)60%] • [1 - 0] = 19.5% but nearly 25% is going straight out, lost into angles 0° to 10° below horizontal.

That's for uplight. For tresspass, it depends what angle you accept as offensive. Typically, light in shedding angles between 75° to 90° from the nadir is considered light trespass.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:47:54 PM by lights*plus » Logged
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: no more mers allowed in arizona « Reply #51 on: January 19, 2017, 04:52:01 PM » Author: wattMaster
Currently, I'm experiencing two sources of light trespass at night, both from our neighbor's house.

One is a bucket light and the other is a motion-activated floodlight.
The bucket light comes on at night, like it should, and the light is normally shielded by fence and bushes.
However, a little light gets through, and shines in my bedroom window at night.

The motion-activated floodlight turns on when our neighbors walk around, and almost all of the light is directed away.
Some of the light still gets into my bedroom window.
I think the bucket light uses some kind of coated MV, and the motion-activated floodlight uses PAR38 bulbs.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:54:27 PM by wattMaster » Logged

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: no more mers allowed in arizona « Reply #52 on: January 24, 2017, 02:36:25 PM » Author: DieselNut
I just saw this thread.  I would love to chime in.  I can light up a big part of my farm with a total of 13 various HID lights, mostly 400 watt.  I use them all together only twice a year and then only till about 2AM when I have farm parties.  I rarely use any of them otherwise and on a nightly basis, my whole property is totally dark once I go to bed.  I do occasionally use a little 20 watt circline on a photocell (also controlled by a switch) if I am going to be out after dark, so I can see to get from the shop to the house.  I LOVE lighting and have a massive amount of it, but I DESPISE light pollution, where the lights are senselessly left on all night.  I love it dark, which is one of the beautiful things about living in a rural area.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: no more mers allowed in arizona « Reply #53 on: January 24, 2017, 03:38:32 PM » Author: lights*plus
People from the state of Georgia are the most considerate and gracious Americans I've ever met, of which you are a shinning example (and Jimmy Carter included).
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: no more mers allowed in arizona « Reply #54 on: February 23, 2017, 11:11:27 AM » Author: wattMaster
What about part-night photocells?

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: no more mers allowed in arizona « Reply #55 on: March 03, 2017, 07:10:45 PM » Author: Lodge
Ok that website is very one-sided simply saying it's illegal and is acting to spread fear, now what is the penalty ? Before people go and chain yourself to a light post, only to become mosquito food you should look at the law the actual law, 2016 Arizona Revised Statutes Title 49 - The Environment § 49-1104 Use of mercury vapor light fixtures, on the governments website .. It actually is a very simple law which reads

"A. No new mercury vapor outdoor light fixtures shall be installed after the effective date of this section. No replacement equipment other than bulbs for mercury vapor lighting fixtures shall be sold in the state after January 1, 1991 and the use of mercury vapor light fixtures is prohibited after January 1, 2011.

B. The provisions of this section shall not apply to outdoor light systems erected prior to 1950."   

So first of all when did you put the light up it might not apply to you..

Do you use a timer to turn them off at midnight ? because there is § 49-1103. Nonconforming light fixtures it reads

"In addition to other exemptions provided in this article, outdoor light fixtures not meeting the provisions of this article shall be allowed provided such fixtures are extinguished between the hours of midnight and sunrise by an automatic shutoff device."

Now to top it all off, you can now unlock your chains and go inside to get away from the bugs and to warm up and grab a coffee, there is no Penalties, they will simply educate the light owners and show you the benefits of compliance to the wildlife and other activities that need and enjoy a dark-sky environment, humans are not the only thing living on this planet..

Please don't use this info to simply think you can skirt the intent of the law,  because the more issues of non-compliance the more likely a legislator is to introduce penalties in the future or other more draconian measures or laws, be neighborly and follow the laws, and it'll also reduce the odds of an annoyed neighbor taking measures in there own hands, which almost always never ends well for either party involved, I've seen several light fixtures taken out by marbles or a 22 and people don't know why, and the first thing I ask them is have you talked to the people over there who probably can't sleep at night because of a new 1000 watt HPS pointed at there bedroom window, and the answer is always, ALWAYS, NO, and because people tend to shy away from confrontation a sling shot and a marble resolve the issue in the dark at he fixtures expense, also something a state legislator might be trying to avoid..

Look at Chapter 7 :> http://www.azleg.gov/arsDetail/?title=49 
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: no more mers allowed in arizona « Reply #56 on: March 03, 2017, 08:11:40 PM » Author: lights*plus
Not a single soul will come to inspect your property for MV violations. In the same vain that no-one is coming to see if you're taking lead from lead-acid batteries and somehow mixingt it in paint or gasoline.

ALL such laws are for the industry involved in the manufacture and distribution of known poisons. For me or you, such laws are meaningless, unless you use them to enlighten your mind.. "oh, something is finally done about mercury & land-fill contamination and/or light-pollution".
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies