Author Topic: TV Questions  (Read 3664 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

TV Questions « on: July 18, 2016, 06:00:42 PM » Author: wattMaster
Due to some recent revelations, I may be getting an extra LED LCD tv.
Question 1: It has been displaying Fox News for a while, should I worry about burn in?
Question 2: What can I use this for?
I don't want it to become a gaming TV, or a PC TV.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: TV Questions « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:19:59 PM » Author: FGS
It's CRTs that suffer from burn ins. LCDs doesn't have that problem. ;)

What's wrong with using it for other stuff as well it as a TV? ??? Easier one TV than a bunch of dedicated screens. Less space wasted unless you happen to collect TVs.

My TV in the living room has 3x HDMI, 1x VGA. 2x Composite, and 2x Component. So I can use the TV for 8x devices like gaming consoles, computer, and watching movies. Lastly it has coaxial for TV. So 9-in-1 TV.  ;D

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: TV Questions « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 06:21:15 PM » Author: wattMaster

What's wrong with using it for other stuff as well it as a TV? ??? Easier one TV than a bunch of dedicated screens. Less space wasted unless you happen to collect TVs.

My TV in the living room has 3x HDMI, 1x VGA. 2x Composite, and 2x Component. So I can use the TV for 8x devices like gaming consoles, computer, and watching movies. Lastly it has coaxial for TV. So 9-in-1 TV.  ;D
We have enough TVs in our house, and I wanted to use it for a more utilitarian use.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 12:39:01 PM by wattMaster » Logged

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: TV Questions « Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 06:26:15 PM » Author: FGS
Utilitarian how? ???

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: TV Questions « Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 06:27:52 PM » Author: wattMaster
Utilitarian how? ???
Security camera, play prop, etc.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: TV Questions « Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 06:29:49 PM » Author: RCM442

My TV in the living room has 3x HDMI, 1x VGA. 2x Composite, and 2x Component. So I can use the TV for 8x devices like gaming consoles, computer, and watching movies. Lastly it has coaxial for TV. So 9-in-1 TV.  ;D
LCD's CAN suffer from image retention, which is easily fixed by just using it.
CRTs do suffer burn in, so do plasma TVs.

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: TV Questions « Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 06:33:40 PM » Author: wattMaster

I read about that, but it was too convoluted to understand.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: TV Questions « Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 06:37:23 PM » Author: RCM442

Your best bet is to just use it, LCD TVs don't have as many problems as plasma TVs did.

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: TV Questions « Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 06:40:26 PM » Author: wattMaster

Your best bet is to just use it, LCD TVs don't have as many problems as plasma TVs did.
What could I use it for?
And a recent update tells me that I should assume I will not be getting it right now.
Maybe it should become just another TV.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: TV Questions « Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 01:00:52 PM » Author: Ash
Funny thing : I have an LCD TV that have some minor loss of liquid (apparently cracked somewhere at the very edge, since no cracks are visible in the picture)

The thing gets "burn in" after just few minutes of displaying a thing, to the point that it really is visible and distracting. And it clears up after another few min. But if i dont use it, it can stay in this "burn in" condition for days

I use it mostly as a screen for terminal windows, where in White text on Black background the burn in is not too distracting. Actually looks sorta cool with the terminals on big 26" screen
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: TV Questions « Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 02:24:58 PM » Author: Medved
The thing gets "burn in" after just few minutes of displaying a thing, to the point that it really is visible and distracting. And it clears up after another few min. But if i dont use it, it can stay in this "burn in" condition for days

That looks more like some cracks in the interconnect layers and/or the transistors not possible to be turned ON (so the pixel electrodes remain charged instead of being AC driven). It may be just the transistors in that area having too high Vt, so the row select gate voltage is insufficient to turn them ON, when the pixel voltage is of the same polarity (so the gate-channel voltage is minimum).

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: TV Questions « Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 02:42:26 PM » Author: Ash
The urn in problem is uniform all over the screen. This screen was hit in the center with quite a force, that broke a protective glass but the LCD panel narrowly escaped cracking. It have few dead pixels in the place of impact tho

What i do see is that the image is darkened in teh perimeter and this burn in effect - What i assume is some loss of liquid as it probably cracked somewhere in the edge as result of the impact
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: TV Questions « Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 08:03:49 PM » Author: wattMaster
Update: I got the TV!
It only had a tiny amount of damage, causing one of the pixels to go blue, but that was there already.
It's a Vizio 32 Inch 720P.
It seems to work just fine.
Now to find a use, I want to currently test it as a Raspberry Pi monitor, but the download is taking a while, downloading a 300 Mbyte file at 50 KB/s.

Aveoguy22
Re: TV Questions « Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 10:15:20 PM » Author: Aveoguy22
It only had a tiny amount of damage, causing one of the pixels to go blue, but that was there already.
Now to find a use, I want to currently test it as a Raspberry Pi monitor, but the download is taking a while, downloading a 300 Mbyte file at 50 KB/s.

what kinda internet you got?  DSL?  I have a WISP connection and I can get up to 10Mbps packages
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: TV Questions « Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 11:34:38 PM » Author: wattMaster

what kinda internet you got?  DSL?  I have a WISP connection and I can get up to 10Mbps packages
AT&T Cable Internet, I measured about 28 Mbps normally.
Anyway, I have to get serious about finding uses for this TV, because it's now taking a lot of space.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies