Author Topic: Even More Flashlight Marketing  (Read 1514 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Even More Flashlight Marketing « on: July 21, 2016, 10:24:09 AM » Author: wattMaster
I was testing out the new TV, and a commercial for the Atomic Beam USA came, and the worst part is they told you: "This little flashlight only makes 125 Lux, but the Atomic Beam USA makes 4000 Lux! That's 40X as much!" But Lix means nothing in a situation like this, and then they tell you that it can survive boiling oil, but the battery won't last that long.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Even More Flashlight Marketing « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 01:53:52 PM » Author: Ash
The thing varies with distance from the flashlight and its distribution... But that alone, you think they compared both their flashlights in the same distance ?
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Even More Flashlight Marketing « Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 05:54:57 PM » Author: wattMaster
The thing varies with distance from the flashlight and its distribution... But that alone, you think they compared both their flashlights in the same distance ?
It looked like it was the same distance.
The other flashlight was some cheapo 3 5mm straw hat LED flashlight.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Even More Flashlight Marketing « Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 02:25:45 PM » Author: Ash
And probably powered three self ballasted LR44 batteries. No wonder for the difference then
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Even More Flashlight Marketing « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 02:38:19 PM » Author: wattMaster
And probably powered three self ballasted LR44 batteries. No wonder for the difference then
We have some of those, and they are powered by several D batteries. :o
I would stay away from the LR44 "lights" because if someone makes a low-resistance battery in the future, the LEDs are toast, even more so if the nominal voltage is a little higher.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Even More Flashlight Marketing « Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 02:44:54 PM » Author: Ash
Being you, i think you'd be able to handle the new generation batteries by slipping in a resistor (made with paper and pencil). Anyone else throws those flashlights out still with the original batteries in, and often when they are still good.. Speaking of waste

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Even More Flashlight Marketing « Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 02:50:19 PM » Author: wattMaster
Being you, i think you'd be able to handle the new generation batteries by slipping in a resistor (made with paper and pencil). Anyone else throws those flashlights out still with the original batteries in, and often when they are still good.. Speaking of waste

I have a whole bag of resistors, so I could figure out a good resistance.
The other waste part is imagine that you want to but one of these novelty LR44 lights, but you decide you will use it later, so it just sits in a junk drawer, waiting to be used, then once you clean it out after a few years, the batteries leak and you promptly throw it away. That's more waste.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies