Author Topic: Risky Restrike  (Read 6585 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Risky Restrike « on: July 28, 2016, 05:33:56 PM » Author: wattMaster
Sorry to burden you with another question, but what is a good time to wait before restriking a 400 Watt MH lamp?
I need to be careful, because if I don't wait long enough, the ballast will activate the ignitor and obliterate the lamp.
The current situation is in a cool room with the reflector on the floor and a portable air conditioner running.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Risky Restrike « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 06:34:30 PM » Author: Lumex120
Sorry to burden you with another question, but what is a good time to wait before restriking a 400 Watt MH lamp?
I need to be careful, because if I don't wait long enough, the ballast will activate the ignitor and obliterate the lamp.
The current situation is in a cool room with the reflector on the floor and a portable air conditioner running.
It will be fine no matter when you restrike it. Probe start lamps don't use high voltage pulses to start and pulse start lamps will be fine (no places for them to arc).

Unofficial LG Discord

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Risky Restrike « Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 07:13:41 PM » Author: wattMaster
It will be fine no matter when you restrike it. Probe start lamps don't use high voltage pulses to start and pulse start lamps will be fine (no places for them to arc).
Problem is, high voltage pulses will destroy the lamp, which I don't want to do.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Risky Restrike « Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 08:21:36 PM » Author: Lumex120
Problem is, high voltage pulses will destroy the lamp, which I don't want to do.
If you are running a probe start lamp on a PS ballast, DO NOT do that.

Unofficial LG Discord

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Risky Restrike « Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 08:23:31 PM » Author: wattMaster
If you are running a probe start lamp on a PS ballast, DO NOT do that.
Nope, this is that infamous Lumatek ballast that runs Probe Start MH and HPS(or even CMH), which needs an ignitor.

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Risky Restrike « Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 11:53:02 PM » Author: icefoglights
If the ballast creates high voltage pulses that could damage a probe start lamp, than it is NOT intended to run that lamp.  If it's a pulse start ballast, HPS or MH, it's meant for pulse start lamps only.

However, since it's the ballast you have and you insist on running it, the typical restrike time for probe start MH lamps on a probe start ballast can be as long as 45 minutes.  Being a pulse start lamp, it may shave a little time off of that.  The trick would be finding out what would be adequate time for the arc tube temperature and pressure to come down enough for the ballast to strike it on the first pulse.  Would probably be similar to the restrike time for a pulse start MH lamp of equal wattage.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Risky Restrike « Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 07:19:31 AM » Author: wattMaster
If the ballast creates high voltage pulses that could damage a probe start lamp, than it is NOT intended to run that lamp.  If it's a pulse start ballast, HPS or MH, it's meant for pulse start lamps only.

However, since it's the ballast you have and you insist on running it, the typical restrike time for probe start MH lamps on a probe start ballast can be as long as 45 minutes.  Being a pulse start lamp, it may shave a little time off of that.  The trick would be finding out what would be adequate time for the arc tube temperature and pressure to come down enough for the ballast to strike it on the first pulse.  Would probably be similar to the restrike time for a pulse start MH lamp of equal wattage.
I usually wait at at least 30 minutes, and also check the temperature with an infrared thermometer, but it may just be measuring the envelope.
A strange tidbit of info in the manual is that they tell you that the 750 Watt ballast is HPS only. Maybe that means it can't run Pulse Start MH lamps?

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Risky Restrike « Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 08:45:31 AM » Author: dor123
There is no ballast that can used with both HPS lamps and probe-start MH lamps. Probe-start MH lamps needs 320V OCV for starting and different voltage/current than HPS lamps. HPS lamps also requires a HV pulse, if they aren't of the self-starting types. Probe-starts that restrikes after more than 20 mins, are usually these 1500W and 1650W for stadium lighting. I've seen a heavily blackened 1000W probe-start that restrike after 10 mins only on an autoregulator ballast, after a power interruption in the past.
Also, ballast for HPS lamps, are usually HX and not CWA, as HPS lamps voltage rises during life until they cycles, and this can allow CWA ballasts to run the lamps at dangerous high loadings. There are special non-cycling HPS lamps for CWA ballasts for mercury lamps, which don't suffering from voltage rise during life.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Risky Restrike « Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 09:17:19 AM » Author: wattMaster
There is no ballast that can used with both HPS lamps and probe-start MH lamps. Probe-start MH lamps needs 320V OCV for starting and different voltage/current than HPS lamps. HPS lamps also requires a HV pulse, if they aren't of the self-starting types. Probe-starts that restrikes after more than 20 mins, are usually these 1500W and 1650W for stadium lighting. I've seen a heavily blackened 1000W probe-start that restrike after 10 mins only on an autoregulator ballast, after a power interruption in the past.
Also, ballast for HPS lamps, are usually HX and not CWA, as HPS lamps voltage rises during life until they cycles, and this can allow CWA ballasts to run the lamps at dangerous high loadings. There are special non-cycling HPS lamps for CWA ballasts for mercury lamps, which don't suffering from voltage rise during life.
This may be true for magnetic ballasts, but mine is electronic, which I would think can identify between Probe Start MH and HPS.
It worked just fine for all of my Probe Start MH and HPS lamps.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Risky Restrike « Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 10:29:34 AM » Author: dor123
There are no electronic ballast for probe-start MH lamps. Have you a picture of the ballast? It is unusual to see ballasts for HPS/MH lamps in america, as in america, HPS and pulse-start MH lamps requires different gears compared to 2xxV countries.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Risky Restrike « Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 10:34:24 AM » Author: wattMaster
There are no electronic ballast for probe-start MH lamps. Have you a picture of the ballast? It is unusual to see ballasts for HPS/MH lamps in america, as in america, HPS and pulse-start MH lamps requires different gears compared to 2xxV countries.
I would upload a photo, but I have to wait for the upload limit.
But here's an online photo.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Risky Restrike « Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 10:46:40 AM » Author: dor123
Upload it to a photo sharing website like postimage, and post it at high resolution here with the [img] tags.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Risky Restrike « Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 10:54:26 AM » Author: dor123
I think you means the Lumatek LK400 400W digital ballast for MH or HPS lamps. It can operate on both 120V 60hz or 240V 50-60hz, and is for both european and american 400W HPS and pulse-start MH lamps. This lamp can be dimmed to 250W. But as it operate at HF and not LF square wave AC, I suspecting that it can cause resonance in HPS and pulse-start MH lamps and overheat their arctubes.
http://www.lumatekballast.com/products/ballasts/#prod-141
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:03:58 AM by dor123 » Logged

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Risky Restrike « Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 10:57:34 AM » Author: wattMaster
I can upload a photo of the entire ballast in 2 hours, but here's a photo of the label. I don't want to post to the photo to another site.
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=1&pid=122133
But why would resonance overheat the arc tube? It makes no sense.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Risky Restrike « Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 11:08:55 AM » Author: dor123
HID lamps means HPS and pulse-start MH lamps. But as the output current of this ballast is HF AC, it would cause acoustic resonances in the arctube that cause violent failure.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies