Author Topic: Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech?  (Read 12491 times)
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech? « on: August 12, 2016, 02:07:08 PM » Author: FGS
Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting technology? They haven't disappointed me in terms of brightness, CRI, color temps and longevity. Aside from an occasional EOL or plain crappy bulb from get go. (Applies to other lights as well so it's inevitable LEDs will have crappy bulbs.)

Why I use LEDs around my house instead of other lights? No stable supply of incandescents/fluorescents. The bans and such make such supply uncertain. Will they be there in 2020 and onward? Not everyone has access to a massive warehouse filled to the ceiling with traditional lighting like VHOO. Until then I'll try to stretch whatever traditional lighting I own.

Space issues. I don't have room to make a hoard of boxes of incandescent bulbs and so on to use in the future once in case of worst case scenario bans is in full tilt. Nothing allowed but LEDs. (Doubt it but better be prepared in case it MIGHT happen.) If I had space I'd start a hoard immediately.

Until I find a warehouse the size of VHOO's warehouse or find space to get a sizeable stash started I'll use LEDs for main lighting. Once I do find such warehouse or have a good sizeable stash. Preheat T12 almost all over my house, incandescent recessed cans, MV security lights and driveway lighting. Even HPS, although with overdriven lamps. Basically my house will have fewer LEDs than currently.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech? « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 02:14:12 PM » Author: wattMaster
And when's the last time you heard of a LED ban? Never?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech? « Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 02:23:51 PM » Author: Ash
If all the lamp types would be reliably available, where would you still prefer the LEDs ?
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech? « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 02:52:50 PM » Author: FGS
In places that's are a nightmare to relamp. Or where I want higher color temps and on dimmers.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech? « Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 02:54:45 PM » Author: wattMaster
In places that's are a nightmare to relamp. Or where I want higher color temps and on dimmers.
What about pools?

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech? « Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 02:57:04 PM » Author: Ash
For what advantages would you prefer other things elsewhere ?
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech? « Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 06:55:55 PM » Author: FGS
Ash - nostalgia and defiance in the face of bans I suppose. Some place other lights would be PERFECT there as well. 100w HPS with 70w bulb lighting a wooden paneled ceiling would be an example. ;)

Wattmaster - the pool is one of the nightmare place to relamp. ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 07:03:40 PM by FGS » Logged

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech? « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 06:57:21 PM » Author: wattMaster
Wattmaster - the pool is one of the nightmare place to relamp. ;)
Unless it's a wet niche light.

Aveoguy22
Re: Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech? « Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 08:05:09 PM » Author: Aveoguy22
i use LED retrofit lamps around the house in most fixtures.  they light the room just as well as incandescent or CFL (or so ive found).  Like FGS, that doesnt mean i dont like the older types of lighting, i have several old HID fixtures and qute a few old fluorescent that ive saved from being thrown out.  i also have a few incan lamps that ive saved while still working to put in LED's.  i look at it as just another lighting technology that we have around to use.  maybe something will even surpass LED's one day, who knows?
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech? « Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 09:46:13 PM » Author: wattMaster
Almost of all of the medium socket fixtures in our house are now LED.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech? « Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 11:01:15 PM » Author: Lumex120
Here is the way I think of it: LEDs aren't a "real" light source (not that this is a bad thing).
-They aren't made of glass or quartz
-They don't really have the same look of classic light sources (the light quality is around the same but a board of SMD LEDs looks different from a BT28 merc.)
-They don't smell or taste like traditional light sources
-They don't have a visible flicker when you move your eyes (which is a big thing missing IMO)

However, despite all this I think that LEDs are great for lots of things. Streetlighting is not one of them.

Unofficial LG Discord

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech? « Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 02:50:40 AM » Author: nicksfans
@FGS: While I respect your views (and I actually do like and use some LEDs myself), no stable supply of incandescents/fluorescents??? When's the last time you went to any store that sells lamps? T5, T8, T12, MV, MH, PSMH, HPS, halogen, rough service incandescent...not only ALL still sold, but ALL still made. And just because they won't be made forever doesn't mean you can't buy and use them now. Look at it this way: one day gasoline-powered cars won't be made anymore, but that doesn't mean you can't go out and buy one today (or two, or four, or ten...the current supply is basically limitless). So don't tell me there's "no stable supply"...that is nonsense to put it plainly.

@Zarlog: I'm surprised you've never seen an LED flicker, and I'm even more surprised that you actually LIKE it. The flicker is one of my biggest gripes with LEDs. Not all of them do it, but many do. For whatever reason, I don't notice fluorescents or even most HIDs flickering unless they're not working properly. And even when I do notice it, it doesn't seem to bother me nearly as much as the LEDs do.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech? « Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 05:01:34 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Zarlog, think about LED like this, (aside from the materials not being glass and quarts), LED is of course a real light source because the way I look at it is, if you feed something with electricity, and it lights up, helping us see in the dark, then surly thats a light source?, be them SMT or filament tech.

LED street lighting?
Yes everyone on here is right about this, LED street lighting is really poor!, SMT diodes are TOTALLY unsuitable, (and outdated now)!, for road lighting use, if there is a drive to lower energy costs and carbon emissions, and LED is to be used for road lighting, I would like to see it in the form of LED filament tech, (traditional lamps), in traditional lanterns to light the streets.
I have already seen prototypes for this, and can tell you its all looking good for a move back to the good old `lamp and lantern` systems for our streets, using LED! :)

I run in my house, a mix of ALL the lighting techs, the bulk of it, (for the main lighting), is indeed LED filament lamps, but I also use fluorescent, (in both 2D form, and linear), in the bathroom and bedrooms.
I have GLS tungsten lamps in places where a `quick` switch on and off is all thats needed.

ALL my outdoor lighting is dusk to dawn HID, I have HPS at the back of the house, and MV at the front, but even when a retro fit for HID, in LED filament tech come on the market, I will still keep my MV as MV!, just as a tribute to the time and tested good old mercury lamp! :)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 05:25:21 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech? « Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 09:17:20 AM » Author: wattMaster
@FGS: While I respect your views (and I actually do like and use some LEDs myself), no stable supply of incandescents/fluorescents??? When's the last time you went to any store that sells lamps? T5, T8, T12, MV, MH, PSMH, HPS, halogen, rough service incandescent...not only ALL still sold, but ALL still made. And just because they won't be made forever doesn't mean you can't buy and use them now. Look at it this way: one day gasoline-powered cars won't be made anymore, but that doesn't mean you can't go out and buy one today (or two, or four, or ten...the current supply is basically limitless). So don't tell me there's "no stable supply"...that is nonsense to put it plainly.

@Zarlog: I'm surprised you've never seen an LED flicker, and I'm even more surprised that you actually LIKE it. The flicker is one of my biggest gripes with LEDs. Not all of them do it, but many do. For whatever reason, I don't notice fluorescents or even most HIDs flickering unless they're not working properly. And even when I do notice it, it doesn't seem to bother me nearly as much as the LEDs do.
FGS is talking about because the bans are just getting crazier, all of the light sources other than LED could be banned.

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Why I like LEDs along with other lighting tech? « Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 06:14:31 PM » Author: nicksfans
"Could be" is the important part there. They are NOT banned right now, which means you can buy as many as you want until you're broke. Incandescent, fluorescent, and HID lamps are not "rare", "hard to come by", or anything like that. Until production actually stops, "no stable supply" is a completely worthless argument.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies