Author Topic: Favorite Fluorescent Tube  (Read 13620 times)
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Favorite Fluorescent Tube « Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 11:30:22 PM » Author: nicksfans
A comfortable standing position is the first step. ;)

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

good223

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Fluorescent Tube « Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 01:04:45 AM » Author: good223
My favorite is the F40T12.

The ballasts are everywhere still, they look good, super easy to find.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Fluorescent Tube « Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 09:46:17 AM » Author: wattMaster
My favorite is the F40T12.

The ballasts are everywhere still, they look good, super easy to find.
I actually like F40T12 too, but some people think they look industrial.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Favorite Fluorescent Tube « Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 06:46:21 PM » Author: nicksfans
That kinda applies to all fluorescent lamps, some even to a greater extent than F40T12 (VHO anyone)?

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Fluorescent Tube « Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 08:53:00 PM » Author: wattMaster
Except for the cute and tiny F4T5.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Fluorescent Tube « Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 03:31:57 AM » Author: Ash
The cold resistance of the 65W lamp might come from its higher power density :

20W 2ft 10W/ft
30W 3ft 10W/ft
40W 4ft 10W/ft
65W 5ft 13W/ft
see the difference ?

And from the current, that is a big step higher than in the shorter lamps :

20W 370mA
30W 450mA
40W 430mA
65W 670mA

My would be probably the 36W T8 and F96T12 110W/HO for linear, and PL lamps of different sizes
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Fluorescent Tube « Reply #21 on: August 20, 2016, 12:33:23 PM » Author: wattMaster
From a practicality point of view, 20W T12s (or 18W T8s) win the game for me. I only have one larger than that, and only a few smaller (excluding T5s). Most colours that are widely available in the range of sizes starts at 2 foot, so it's the smallest practical size for a collector without limiting your choice.

From an installation point of view, I love 8 foots. They're as rare as hens teeth now, but for me the size is just awesome. I don't know if you can get cool green in 8 foot, but a large room full of such would be a lighting heaven for me.
Here, 8 foot tubes are still pretty common. You would love it!

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Fluorescent Tube « Reply #22 on: August 20, 2016, 12:47:40 PM » Author: wattMaster
From a practicality point of view, 20W T12s (or 18W T8s) win the game for me. I only have one larger than that, and only a few smaller (excluding T5s). Most colours that are widely available in the range of sizes starts at 2 foot, so it's the smallest practical size for a collector without limiting your choice.

From an installation point of view, I love 8 foots. They're as rare as hens teeth now, but for me the size is just awesome. I don't know if you can get cool green in 8 foot, but a large room full of such would be a lighting heaven for me.
Here, 8 foot tubes are still pretty common. You would love it!

T8 or T12? Bear in mind, we don't have 8 foot T8s, and in the name of "energy concerns" 8 foot T12s have been largely stamped out. The last time I saw one was in a fixture in a shop in a very remote part of the country, where some had already been replaced by 6 foot T8s, and before that I can't remember.
Both. They are around equally common. And an Ace Hardware somewhere here is completely lit by 8 foot T12.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Fluorescent Tube « Reply #23 on: August 20, 2016, 01:02:43 PM » Author: wattMaster
single or double pin? Can't be double I'd think as your line voltage doesn't have enough puff for switchstart (what you guys call preheat) circuits after about 4 foot is it not?
Last time I remember, it was single pin.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Favorite Fluorescent Tube « Reply #24 on: August 20, 2016, 01:39:08 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I will never understand why they got rid of the 8 foot?, the 100watt 840s ran at a tidy 94 lm/W!
If thats not considered efficient I don`t know what is??

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Fluorescent Tube « Reply #25 on: August 20, 2016, 01:39:58 PM » Author: wattMaster
I will never understand why they got rid of the 8 foot?, the 100watt 840s ran at a tidy 94 lm/W!
If thats not considered efficient I don`t know what is??
And a lot of LED is actually less efficient!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Fluorescent Tube « Reply #26 on: August 20, 2016, 01:45:06 PM » Author: Ash
I considered calling the 18W T8 too, but i think it is less of interest than 36W, as when something is to be low power or compact, it's probably where PL would be no less appropriate, and i like PL

The 8ft F96T12/HO 110W we have here is a USA lamp, and it got 2 contacts on either end (its not in the shape of pins, but otherwise is same thing, with a filament that is supplied with heating current). Though we use it on differently made RS ballasts than they use in the US

Angry Horse, i thik that IS why they banned the 100W lamp
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Favorite Fluorescent Tube « Reply #27 on: August 20, 2016, 01:48:10 PM » Author: AngryHorse
LOL, yes, I never thought of it like that! :D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Fluorescent Tube « Reply #28 on: August 20, 2016, 01:51:36 PM » Author: wattMaster
I think what you are talking about is a "recessed" connector.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Fluorescent Tube « Reply #29 on: August 20, 2016, 02:25:05 PM » Author: Ash
Yep, it i the Recessed Bi Pin RDC connector
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies